EBay madness

Marcyg

13 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I don't think that's eBay madness.

Sensible start price, and the seller doesn't claim it is Airfix, but that's they think it is intended for the Airfix [kit] body...

I assume it is for the Airfix Prairie as it came with a part body 

🙂

Edited by Tofufi
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Wheels look to be of Dublo origin, likely a Duchess, A4 or 4MT, cylinder block looks to be off a Triang Hall (or not, looked again and it’s a metal cast, possibly off a GraFar loco?), as does the drive gear, possibly meant to take an X.04.

Might try and bid on that myself… Might not though as I have something I said I’d pay for at the end of the month.

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, Tofufi said:

I don't think that's eBay madness.

Sensible start price, and the seller doesn't claim it is Airfix, but that's they think it is intended for the Airfix [kit] body...

🙂

I don't recall claiming that it was madness?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Tofufi is working to the principle that, because the thread is entitled 'eBay Madness', he considers your post in that light irresespective of the fact that you didn't claim that this particular item was mad in any way, Paul.

• Like 3

On 09/01/2024 at 21:54, Paul H Vigor said:

It is described as a Curio.   Some guy has put a lot of work (and very little money) into it.   Looks like Hornby Dublo 3 rail wheels A4/ Duchess as suggested above, I can't see any insulated bushes but I have done some of mine and it's not obvious.  Drive gear is Triang Hornby, 3/16th bore but sleeved to fit 1/8th H/D axle so quite an able engineer's work.    I reckon the cylinders are Graham Farish 81XX, cut off, drilled through  (Early ones don't have piston Rods as standard) and mounted to spacers which attach to the chassis.  Looks like the pony truck coupling has 12 BA bolts or rivets holding the coupling on. Not easy.  I reckon the centre bolt goes through the safety valve.   It could be it started  as a Grafar replacement chassis or for a Kitmaster, both available mid late 1950s  the drive gear is about mid 50s  Coupling around 1960? may well be over 60 years old and a credit to a long dead modeller(Or flung together from scrap over Christmas)  But there was no decent RTR big Prairie until the centre axle drive Hornby circa 1990(?)  I was (am) fitting Grafar 81XX and Wills 61XX bodies to Hornby Hall chassis (with Wrenn wheels)  to replace rough running Airfix mechs in the 1980s and 90s so I understand the motivation behind an X04 powered big Prairie

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I think Tofufi is working to the principle that, because the thread is entitled 'eBay Madness', he considers your post in that light irresespective of the fact that you didn't claim that this particular item was mad in any way, Paul.

Probably. I've always thought ebay madness was in the eye of the beholder? I tend to leave 'fact checking' to other threads - which, by experience, I have learnt to avoid. They are too often prone to 'sence of humour failures'?

The post appears to have generated some discussion on a cold and gloomy January day?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Having just read that the Warley show at the NEC is no more,

and with the news earlier in the week about Hattons closing,

I can't help but wonder if the third bit of "big news" will be

that Gostude is to cease trading on Ebay.  :)

Edited by rab
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 7

Unsure where I saw it, but I recall seeing an eBay listing a few years back, was called something along the lines of “Thomas the Train relic art”.

It was quite literally one of the wooden Thomas toys which had been set on fire, with a gigantic googly eye stuck on the front*, I’ll try and find the screenshot… 

*It was being sold for $100 (USA listing)

Edit: Wasn’t able to find that listing… But I did find this, also from a good while ago:

IMG_3952.png.92042250362f1bed0623a30feca7075d.png

• Funny 8

27 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Unsure where I saw it, but I recall seeing an eBay listing a few years back, was called something along the lines of “Thomas the Train relic art”.

It was quite literally one of the wooden Thomas toys which had been set on fire, with a gigantic googly eye stuck on the front*, I’ll try and find the screenshot… 

Edit: Wasn’t able to find that listing… But I did find this, also from a good while ago:

Rename the Money Pit as 2744 Grand Parade and it can represent that loco, destroyed in the collision at Castlecary in a snowstorm in December 1937.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

An archaeologist might interpret this object as a 'ritual deposit'!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, rab said:

Having just read that the Warley show at the NEC is no more,

and with the news earlier in the week about Hattons closing,

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/01/birminghams-model-railway-exhibition-will-not-return-for-the-foreseeable-future.html

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, rab said:

I read somewhere Hattons had 3-4m of stock in their accounts 

Shudder to think how much Gostude has.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I read somewhere Hattons had 3-4m of stock in their accounts 

Shudder to think how much Gostude has.

The difference is Hattons' is priced to sell as opposed to priced to retire?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

40 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

The difference is Hattons' is priced to sell as opposed to priced to retire?

I’ve been told that Gostude’s entire model railway selling structure is simply an enormous tax scam, designed to reduce his yearly tax bill. 

Meanwhile, how’s this for madness … Bulleid Diesel Loco

Perhaps not so much “madness” as “Schrödinger’s Model” … as new, “box only opened to take photos. I don’t want to unpack as it is then not original as received” but “only taken out of box to photograph” and “runs smooth/then hesitates over points” (emphasis added)

So, which of the above is it then? 🙄

Also noticeable that it is priced at the same point as many of the brand new Bulleid “Boosters” on sale on eBay right now but almost exactly half of what TMC are asking for a BR black liveried version of the same loco!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

In fairness that's remarkably complete compared to some of what's on offer, although it does look like it's been unearthed in an archaeological dig.

In the past 12 months I've sold a Hornby A1 cab (just the cab), another Hornby A1 body that was minus a substantial chunk of the firebox and boiler and a Duke of Gloucester body with a crushed smokebox. All surplus job lot purchases.

What the buyers intended to do with them I neither know nor care. If they think it's of use and they're happy with the price, that's fine by me.

Edited by 5 C
Typo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5 C said:

In fairness that's remarkably complete compared to some of what's on offer, although it does look like it's been unearthed in an archaeological dig.

In the past 12 months I've sold a Hornby A1 cab (just the cab), another Hornby A1 body that was minus a substantial chunk of the firebox and boiler and a Duke of Gloucester body with a crushed smokebox. All surplus job lot purchases.

What the buyers intended to do with them I neither know nor care. If they think it's of use and they're happy with the price, that's fine by me.

I bought a Collet 2251 with a smashed cab and no tender. The mechanism will be a standby for the 2251 I upgraded the other year and I'm planning on using the boiler from the broken body for a scratch building project. I paid less than £10 with the postage so if I make a dog's breakfast of it, it's no big deal.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, John Besley said:

Not sure what chassis it is

Triang tooled chassis block, was used under the B12, Hall, A3, 2MT, E2, streamlined Coronation, later 08 (original used the longer Jinty chassis), was probably used on plenty of other models, but those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, John Besley said:

From the same home as tfd Airfix brass chassis

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175915382224?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=B8v52pncRo-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=mAE25Fz1QpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not sure what chassis it is, best upgrade by launching it at the bin...

All the clues are in the last photo.  R759 is for "Albert Hall", for example.

15 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Triang tooled chassis block, was used under the B12, Hall, A3, 2MT, E2, streamlined Coronation, later 08 (original used the longer Jinty chassis), was probably used on plenty of other models, but those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

It looks like its from a tender powered loco.  There's hooks at the front for an X04, but no tapped hole for the fixing screw at the back.  It makes me think that its repurposed for a tender drive loco like "James the Red Engine" but Hornby didn't bother to change the bottom stamps and left out the finishing for loco drive.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It makes me think that its repurposed for a tender drive loco like "James the Red Engine"

James never used that particular block, he was retooled from the Triang Deeley 3F, oddly enough fitted with a School’s tender (Gordon and Edward also used this tender).

Otherwise, yes, taken from a tender drive loco, probably from the tender drive 5MT, and thus any other locos which used that particular chassis. Reminds me that I’ve been wanting to convert a tender drive 5MT to take an X.04 for a while…

• Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, 5 C said:

Not really madness but with 9 hours to go could well be.

It's a very well made Kitmaster/Dapol Prototype Deltic that someone has motorised with a Lima DCC chassis and by he look of it, finished with Fox transfers and etched plates.

21 bids at £116.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126274703845?

Only major gripe I have is the lack of buffers, I’m certain that whoever initially made it planned to swap them out for higher detail ones though, would love to know what the starting price for that was…

• Like 1