Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

EBay madness

Marcyg

Between christmas and the new year, I ordered a new 67mm UV filter for my camera, to replace the previous one that became "broken".  UV filters are there purely as a sacrificial measure to protect the front element of the lens. The old one performed its duty...

Anyhooo...  You'd think the vendor would pop it in a padded jiffybag* and put it in the post.  I'd have got it on Tuesday.  But no, they've sent it by Yodel, so its arriving some time today.  Probably in a padded jiffybag.

Stupid b@stard.

Ebay madness at its most typical!

It arrived just now. Luckily the padded bag fit through the letterbox, but the deliveroid couldn't be arsed to ring the doorbell so I only realised that it had been delivered when an email to that effect turned up...

* Other padded bag systems are available.

Edited by Hroth
update
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Between christmas and the new year, I ordered a new 67mm UV filter for my camera, to replace the previous one that became "broken".  UV filters are there purely as a sacrificial measure to protect the front element of the lens. The old one performed its duty...

Anyhooo...  You'd think the vendor would pop it in a padded jiffybag* and put it in the post.  I'd have got it on Tuesday.  But no, they've sent it by Yodel, so its arriving some time today.  Probably in a padded jiffybag.

Stupid b@stard.

Ebay madness at its most typical!

It arrived just now. Luckily the padded bag fit through the letterbox, but the deliveroid couldn't be arsed to ring the doorbell so I only realised that it had been delivered when an email to that effect turned up...

* Other padded bag systems are available.

The padded bag probably has a greater IQ than the sender.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

…deliveroid….

Marvellous, another word for my alternative dictionary. 

To be honest, our local Evri courier is very considerate and we usually bung her a tenner in a Christmas card.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, big jim said:

Apparently the post office won't deliver it.

It's got a wonderful AI description of course.

My experience of old caravans is damp, smelly and about £30 worth of scrap aluminium.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

49 minutes ago, big jim said:

The external condition of that caravan reminds me of something that happened with me and a friend in 2022… Friend from high school (who got me into our local MRC in 2021) had me over for the weekend, we’d planned to strip out an old caravan he’d acquired for use as a layout room, didn’t take long to discover all the damp, rotting wood in the frames, haven’t been to his place since but he apparently ended up buying a layout and putting it in the attic, the caravan I imagine is either still rotting away, or gone entirely.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, 96701 said:

I think plugging that thing into my house will trip the main RCD.

Or the damp might make all the metal in the van live, which could get interesting.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

I know that we've occasionally picked on Hattons second hand offerings, though they've not generated the same amount of fun that we've had with Rails flights of fancy, but today Hattons have announced that they are closing their doors.  They've NOT gone bust, but are selling up in an orderly manner.

I'm sure we'll miss them, they have has a long history in model railways retail.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Hroth said:

I know that we've occasionally picked on Hattons second hand offerings, though they've not generated the same amount of fun that we've had with Rails flights of fancy, but today Hattons have announced that they are closing their doors.  They've NOT gone bust, but are selling up in an orderly manner.

I'm sure we'll miss them, they have has a long history in model railways retail.

• Like 2

The chassis looks like a bit of old fashioned curtain rail. At least it will be parallel and the axles probably run direct in the brass. 

Rather a shame to junk it, might make an interesting period piece model.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I don't think that's eBay madness.

Sensible start price, and the seller doesn't claim it is Airfix, but that's they think it is intended for the Airfix [kit] body...

I assume it is for the Airfix Prairie as it came with a part body 

🙂

Edited by Tofufi
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2