EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"Anyone got an easy way of fitting Peco bogie coaches on the track?" - When all else fails, glue remains an option!

According to a late professional engineer at my miniature railway club, the bogies stopped vehicles from being blown over.

We have a large prototype steel guards van mounted on sleepers (no bogies) and according to his calculations, it would blow over, unless we secured it better to the ground. When asked how it didn't blow over in normal service, it was the weight of the bogies! We ignored him and 30 years later, it hasn't blown away yet!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

9 hours ago, kevinlms said:

According to a late professional engineer at my miniature railway club, the bogies stopped vehicles from being blown over.

We have a large prototype steel guards van mounted on sleepers (no bogies) and according to his calculations, it would blow over, unless we secured it better to the ground. When asked how it didn't blow over in normal service, it was the weight of the bogies! We ignored him and 30 years later, it hasn't blown away yet!

I think he was just trying to say that the lower the centre of gravity the better.

It just got lost in translation....

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

We do, but sometimes they are circumvented by deluded idiots. 

They just want a mention on eBay Madness!

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

9 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Obviously, you don't have recycling bins in the UK!

What we haven't got is any consistency.  In North Hertfordshire a grey bin is for recycling, but in Cambridgeshire it's for landfill stuff.  So people put stuff in the wrong bins.  As nobody knows what goes in which bin, in some counties they recycle it on ebay instead.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

I'm in Hertfordshire as well, here the all grey bin is landfill. Recycle bins ares the ones with a blue lid, Green is .. well .. for green stuff. Not too far away is Bucks and they use  another set of colours!

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, johnb said:

I'm in Hertfordshire as well, here the all grey bin is landfill. Recycle bins ares the ones with a blue lid, Green is .. well .. for green stuff. Not too far away is Bucks and they use  another set of colours!

Ours is Green bin landfill, Grey bin recycle and Brown bin garden waste, if you pay an arm and a leg for the service.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

What we haven't got is any consistency.  In North Hertfordshire a grey bin is for recycling, but in Cambridgeshire it's for landfill stuff.  So people put stuff in the wrong bins.  As nobody knows what goes in which bin, in some counties they recycle it on ebay instead.

Our councils are changing the lids, so that there is consistency across the state. It's taken a long time, but it will overcome the problem, which you correctly point out.

It doesn't take much general rubbish, to contaminate an entire truck full of say recyclables, so it ends up at the tip anyway.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

http://tinyurl.com/yrpt7sws

Warning. Those of a delicate disposition are advised not to click on this link. 🙂

I've revived some horrors in my time but am wincing at bit at this poor thing. To be fair the seller does describe it as ,ahem, 'poor'. I think tragic is a bit closer to the point.

In good nick with the box and trimmings a 3 rail Dorchester can fetch daft money. This one has been converted to 2 rail at some time in it's life.

A long while ago I mentioned a grading system used by an old friend of mine who sold 2nd vinyl hand records.

It ran typically as M=mint , E= Excellent and so on through VG,G,F,P=Poor. He did have a lowest of the low grading grading which was POBAC = Previously owned by a cretin. I'll say no more.🙃

Regards, Rich

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

Looks like it's been carefully stored in a puddle for some time.

That said, I've had plenty of motorcycles which looked far worse for a lot more money. At least it appears to be complete.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

28 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

Warning. Those of a delicate disposition are advised not to click on this link. 🙂

I've revived some horrors in my time but am wincing at bit at this poor thing. To be fair the seller does describe it as ,ahem, 'poor'. I think tragic is a bit closer to the point.

In good nick with the box and trimmings a 3 rail Dorchester can fetch daft money. This one has been converted to 2 rail at some time in it's life.

A long while ago I mentioned a grading system used by an old friend of mine who sold 2nd vinyl hand records.

It ran typically as M=mint , E= Excellent and so on through VG,G,F,P=Poor. He did have a lowest of the low grading grading which was POBAC = Previously owned by a cretin. I'll say no more.🙃

Regards, Rich

Well, it's got  bids so far from 5 different people.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Well, it's got  bids so far from 5 different people

Yes, I spotted that. I'm guessing at it going for  north of  sixty squids or so, 

I've a couple of 2 rail Barnstaples. I bought them both maybe 40 odd years ago on a visit to Hattons when they were giving them away. They're no way mint but in fair to good condition so decided to leave them well alone as ''runners'' (apart from converting to 3 rail). My problem is that over the years I've lost one of the tenders. I've seen spare tenders go for £30/40 on the bay so I think I'll make do with a fudge from a kit body on top of a Duchess tender chassis.

Regards, Rich

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

59 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

Regards, Rich

Perhaps it should be returned to the skip where it was found?

Its up to 9 bids now...

(You don't have to pack the usual ebay link vomit into a tinyurl, just delete everything after the ? in the link to get https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225958165201 )

Edited by Hroth
update, and remove an extra "u"...
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It baffles me how those models can get into such bad nick, yet ask such high prices.

The Dublo 8F I bought a few weeks ago? £30, no front bogie or tender, and the motor was totally fried! An excuse to learn how to rewind motors, sure, but thirty quid and the motor was toasted!

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Looks like it's been carefully stored in a puddle for some time.

That said, I've had plenty of motorcycles which looked far worse for a lot more money. At least it appears to be complete.

And its got nine bids so far!

• Like 1