EBay madness

Marcyg

4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Going by the old Triang track around it it appears to be not far off of 00 scale. The WC&PR had a pair of similar locomotives but with different cabs (from each other as well as the model). The only thing is it appears to be moulded in one piece including the wheels.

Have to say, if I came across one of these at a reasonable price (charity shop - when they reopen) I would give it a home. It may form the base for something?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petethemole said:

The same seller has another job lot that isn't mainly junk https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-Hornby-etc-OO-Job-lot-spares-repairs-b/265085060334?hash=item3db84d04ee:g:P2sAAOSwT~dgSns0

I'm curious about the two clerestory coach bodies in the box, Kit built?  Does anyone recognize them?

They look suspiciously like Ratio Midland Railway clerestories to which a Great Western Railway (hail Satan etc. :D ) paint scheme has been applied. Plus I think that the bogies are missing in action.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, petethemole said:

The same seller has another job lot that isn't mainly junk https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-Hornby-etc-OO-Job-lot-spares-repairs-b/265085060334?hash=item3db84d04ee:g:P2sAAOSwT~dgSns0

I'm curious about the two clerestory coach bodies in the box, Kit built?  Does anyone recognize them?

The sad thing about the above posts about ebay madness apart from the trash offered/fuzzy photos/dodgy descriptions! Is in all probability deadmans collections (not deadmans lane layout and builder!)

A bit thought provoking and sobering to think all my 'trash' will end up in a job lot? Although all my 3mm stuff will go to 3mm society as thay do or did a deadmans locker clarence...

I've just upgraded circular saw and home made tracks to a proper track and plunge saw...wife just rolled her eyes! Think she would do more than roll her eyes when she (ever) finds out how much a lump if aluminium machined to tight tolerances actually cost as a square for said rails...in fact as now retired a number of tools have been upgraded! And once you start to look around workshop and add up ...!!

As part of new tool storage unit think I am going to place discreet cost label for deadmans sale!!

Bloody hell is this what happens when you retire?....

Can see ebay madness in time 3mm 'junk' (its not!) cost a fortune... job lot 35quid!!...buy it now

Tool collection starting bid 99p!

If swimbo takes photos they will defo be blurred...dont know how she manages it!

i will be turning in my home made coffen! Put a bigger reserve on.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

I am in the process of writing my will. Before I shuffle off this mortal toil I will be disposing of a few models and tools to a few friends who will appreciate them. Luckily I belong to a railway group that offers a service to members of selling of their models and other things such as (railway) books.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I am in the process of writing my will. Before I shuffle off this mortal toil I will be disposing of a few models and tools to a few friends who will appreciate them. Luckily I belong to a railway group that offers a service to members of selling of their models and other things such as (railway) books.  

I've got a number of models - 'rescued' from the traders' maelstrom - that I know to have been owned by deceased modellers. I feel a responsibility to their memory to look after their models?

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I've got a number of models - 'rescued' from the traders' maelstrom - that I know to have been owned by deceased modellers. I feel a responsibility to their memory to look after their models?

I have named a modeller friend as one of my executors. The principal executors will be my sister or niece but as neither would know whats what with my models my friend is there to look after that part of my estate.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I have named a modeller friend as one of my executors. The principal executors will be my sister or niece but as neither would know whats what with my models my friend is there to look after that part of my estate.

I would hope that, upon my demise, my models - including my 'bits box' - would find their way into the hands of modellers. I wouldn't be impressed, sitting on my cloud, looking down (hopefully!), if predatory eBay dealers got their paws on my stuff!

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, petethemole said:

The blue box of mainly quite modern China made Hornby OO gauge track has what looks like a Graham Farish brake van next to a roofless Tri-ang TT gauge BR brake van.

There is also a TT Well Wagon, and a TT chassis with built in motor, probably the 0-6-0 chassis.

A Tri-ang spare van or short brake van roof, and a whole brake van.

Also a Hornby Dublo Steel Open Wagon with metal couplings.

Next Photo..

More modern Hornby track.

Next photo...

I’d agree that the two Clerestory Coach bodies are not RTR...probably Ratio...

Hornby Carflat.

Probably Hornby Eurostar Driving Motor Coach.

Lima HO continental coach in BR livery.

Hornby Shell Tank Wagon.

Tri-ang Hornby MK1 Sleeping Car.

Bottom view of a base of a Tri-ang Hornby Mail pick up post.

Hornby Footbridge parts and line side fencing.

Assembled Airfix footbridge.

Lima HO operating Royal Mail coach.

Hornby Railways Blue and Grey Operating Royal Mail Coach (ex Transcontinental version.)

Tri-ang Hornby Britannia Tender.

BR livery ex GWR Hawksworth tender...? Maker? Probably Hornby.

What looks like a BR livery A4 body from underneath...

A Hornby Britannia body.

Early Tri-ang Railways R.23 Operating Royal Mail coach. MK2 Open Loop couplings. Brighter red, probably transfer lettering that has fallen off...

Also...The Bachmann Branchline Pocket Guide by Pat Hammond...( There has been only the one issue I believe...no updates since?)

Hornby Trakmat.

Hornby Railways Instructions...

Next photo...

Box of track, point in card sleeve.

Hornby Ringfield motor power bogie frame only for Class 47 or 37.

Tri-ang Hornby Mail receiving bin, no base.

Airfix Cattle Wagon Roof.

Tin box of Superquick buildings...

Next photo...

In tin box... 

Superquick type 3 Island Platform Building.

Superquick Coal Order Office.

Part of the sloped exit from the SQ large Terminus Building kit.

Later period SQ Platform seats with blank name board. (Mid period ones have WICKFORD as the name...where the then SQ kit distributor was based...)

Possibly lurking is an Airfix or Mastermodels Lineside Hut. The roof view...

In the bag is at least one Hornby Railways platform seating unit, in “ Teak” plastic.

A better lot...but still a little overpriced I’d think? :)

I do enjoy this forensic modelling...;):D

It helps keep the little grey cells active! :D

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo....added end piece...
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

59 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I would hope that, upon my demise, my models - including my 'bits box' - would find their way into the hands of modellers. I wouldn't be impressed, sitting on my cloud, looking down (hopefully!), if predatory eBay dealers got their paws on my stuff!

I would hope for the same. Unfortunately I have found over the years with pretty much all hobbies, there's a good number of hearse chasers around. Usually gentlemen of 60+ who come across as "genuine enthusiasts" that are always so helpful in sorting out deceased estates. 

You know who you are...

• Agree 5

26 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The blue box of mainly quite modern China made Hornby OO gauge track has what looks like a Graham Farish brake van next to a roofless Tri-ang TT gauge BR brake van.

There is also a TT Well Wagon, and a TT chassis with built in motor, probably the 0-6-0 chassis.

A Tri-ang spare van or short brake van roof, and a whole brake van.

Also a Hornby Dublo Steel Open Wagon with metal couplings.

Next Photo..

More modern Hornby track.

Next photo...

I’d agree that the two Clerestory Coach bodies are not RTR...probably Ratio...

Hornby Carflat.

Probably Hornby Eurostar Driving Motor Coach.

Lima HO continental coach in BR livery.

Hornby Shell Tank Wagon.

Tri-ang Hornby MK1 Sleeping Car.

Bottom view of a base of a Tri-ang Hornby Mail pick up post.

Hornby Footbridge parts and line side fencing.

Assembled Airfix footbridge.

Lima HO operating Royal Mail coach.

Hornby Railways Blue and Grey Operating Royal Mail Coach (ex Transcontinental version.)

Tri-ang Hornby Britannia Tender.

BR livery ex GWR Hawksworth tender...? Maker? Probably Hornby.

What looks like a BR livery A4 body from underneath...

A Hornby Britannia body.

Early Tri-ang Railways R.23 Operating Royal Mail coach. MK2 Open Loop couplings. Brighter red, probably transfer lettering that has fallen off...

Also...The Bachmann Branchline Pocket Guide by Pat Hammond...( There has been only the one issue I believe...no updates since?)

Hornby Trakmat.

Hornby Railways Instructions...

Next photo...

Box of track, point in card sleeve.

Hornby Ringfield motor power bogie frame only for Class 47 or 37.

Tri-ang Hornby Mail receiving bin, no base.

Airfix Cattle Wagon Roof.

Tin box of Superquick buildings...

Next photo...

In tin box... 

Superquick type 3 Island Platform Building.

Superquick Coal Order Office.

Part of the sloped exit from the SQ large Terminus Building kit.

Later period SQ Platform seats with blank name board. (Mid period ones have WICKFORD as the name...where the then SQ kit distributor was based...)

Possibly lurking is an Airfix or Mastermodels Lineside Hut. The roof view...

In the bag is at least one Hornby Railways platform seating unit, in “ Teak” plastic.

A better lot...but still a little overpriced I’d think? :)

Sooooo.......

Basically junk then.

The contents of several 50p c2ap boxes as seen under tables at any model railway exhibition or toy fair?

Well done with the Spot the sh17 contest though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

56 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

What ARE we going to do when the lockdown ends!? When analysing piles of ebay sh** takes second place to expensive visits to shopping centres, etc!? :locomotive:

• Funny 5

9 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

What ARE we going to do when the lockdown ends!? When analysing piles of ebay sh** takes second place to expensive visits to shopping centres, etc!? :locomotive:

I'm pleased to say that we didn't do that before the lockdown! 

I can think of LOTS of things I am going to be doing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

44 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

MAY be doing IF !! Oh that's another thread! Talking of threads think it's time to watch Barry Hines threads again...terrible special effects...millennials think this pandemic stuff is scary...

Should of been a teenager in 80s I was bricking my self! Protect and survive...nothing like a bit of thermo nuclear armageddon to induce bowel movments

The above may not be appropriate for this thread ....but it is....as got it off ebay for 2 quid!....madness!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

14 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

MAY be doing IF !! Oh that's another thread! Talking of threads think it's time to watch Barry Hines threads again...terrible special effects...millennials think this pandemic stuff is scary...

Should of been a teenager in 80s I was bricking my self! Protect and survive...nothing like a bit of thermo nuclear armageddon to induce bowel movments

The above may not be appropriate for this thread ....but it is....as got it off ebay for 2 quid!....madness!

That was making fallout shelters inside your house with internal doors and earth from the garden! "Do you want your kids to glow in the dark? - Move to Windscale!" (Not the nine o'clock news)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

That was making fallout shelters inside your house with internal doors and earth from the garden! "Do you want your kids to glow in the dark? - Move to Windscale!" (Not the nine o'clock news)

And making a toilet out of your favourite dining chair and a bucket....the music to P&S was spooky....it has been used in a spoof YouTube vid for 'carownervirus'....a mix of public safety clips from the past...ops drift!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

At least the second lot is reasonably well presented, the first lot just looked like it had been randomly tipped out of a box/skip/tippertruck moments before the camera shutter clicked.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

We were pretty fatalistic about it all, my little gang figured we'd either be vaporised or survive in a sort of Mad Max with cr4p weather style of existence.

This has prompted me to revisit my youth and listen once again to 'Mutually Assured Distruction ' by Gillan......

Rob

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

This has prompted me to revisit my youth and listen once again to 'Mutually Assured Distruction ' by Gillan......

Rob

Which would lead me to the slightly less cultured Mutant Rock and Radioactive Kid by The Meteors....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Back on the topic of old tat on eBay, apparently everything here and in other lots by the same seller is "less than two months old" 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133685497411

This style of Hornby station appeared when I was about ten...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133685495229

Yet "less than two months old" 

"marinelife68" - a friend of 'pondlife69' perchance?

• Like 3