EBay madness

Marcyg

46 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It's the sort of stupid change that ebay keeping making all the time.

I'm also seeing railway books and magazine listings needing to be changed at present.  Lots of "soon required" classifications - there has to be something in the box, even if the question isn't relevant. In some cases, ebay will helpfully generate something to put in some fields leaving you to change it if their guess is wrong.  Sellers don't bother, because there's no point in getting the right data in the categories of potential buyers aren't going to search on those fields.

I was on there again just now. They have actually made it almost unusable?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the (erroneous) thinking is that they can increase sales, and consequently their cut, by displaying more items to more people. This makes some sense for casual browsers/impulse buyers, but it’s a ‘mare if you are looking for something specific or within a defined category. 

It is counter productive as it will deter many people from using the site, but those that remain will be more prominently casual/impulse punters, so the policy will appear to be successful, as more sales will be made to those who log on to the site but the total  number of users will fall.  And the management will never understand why the business went eventually bankrupt.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Somebody probably justified their salary with that and is still better off than we are.

Very few senior managers ever get their job by saying that they wouldn't change things because the processes were effective already.  You have to come up with new ideas (which have probably been rejected multiple times already) and implement change, usually bulldozing the work of your predecessor which was just starting to deliver results and would have continued to do so for years afterwards.  Your big change, of course, will be at the same point when you are promoted and your successor has a new idea.....

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

43 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Very few senior managers ever get their job by saying that they wouldn't change things because the processes were effective already.  You have to come up with new ideas (which have probably been rejected multiple times already) and implement change, usually bulldozing the work of your predecessor which was just starting to deliver results and would have continued to do so for years afterwards.  Your big change, of course, will be at the same point when you are promoted and your successor has a new idea.....

So exactly like the government? :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

31 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Diddy-de-dum, diddy-de-dum,...

I suspect it could be used in all of the scales listed if you were creative.

If it was Z then it could be a childs garden toy tractor in 00, or a small 'ride on' type tractor in N, and just a normal tractor in Z. If it was N then it could be the 'ride on' type in 00 and a normal tractor in N, and if it was 00 then its just a smallish tractor.....

:)

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 2

22 minutes ago, Esmedune said:

Let me get this straight in my head.... The loco had a big crash?? But the body work is in perfect order, but the TSS chip maybe fried?  What did it crash into? An electrical substation?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-Gauge-City-Of-Sheffield-DCC-Sound-R2782XS-Spares-Or-Repair-/265382078093?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

That's one of those bargain or expensive paperweight jobs.  Depending on how the bidding goes and what is actually wrong with it.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em and roll the dice...... :D

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165146791161?hash=item2673840cf9%3Ag%3AsSIAAOSwgFdhdZ5l&LH_Auction=1

The Dublo Silly Season continues  40 notes plus 14 more notes P&P

I wish people would do a bit of research before listing

My missus found this lot and is giving me funny looks.  I'm back on the naughty step as she don't believe me when I tell her those 4 tea chests full of dublo track that are causing our back bedroom floor to bend are, in actual fact, worth the square root of nowt and not worth the effort of listing.

Looks like I'm on a diet of cold shoulder and hot tongue again. Oh well.  Time for a couple of cans of Hobgoblin Gold, out in the shed, again.

Cheers , hic, Rich

Edited by TinTracks
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You are being subjected to what is known as the "Busted television treatment".

Wife is giving you picture, no sound.

Your only recourse is beer and shed.

I thank you for your sympathy. In fact I do my beloved Margaret an injustice. Apart from being a very accomplished scratch builder and restorer of 1/12th  Dolls Houses she has, for the last 21 years accompanied me to North Wales to indulge me in my fetish for things ''Narrow Gauge'' She is quite capable of holding her own in a conversation about matters Ffestiniog , Tal y  Llyn etc. Its just tInplate junk has her scratching her head a bit.

Bless Her. I'm sure she'll let me back in in a few hours?

BTW This Asda Fire Water ain't too bad this week. 

Cheers All  Rich 

Edited by TinTracks
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I am similarly lucky. We share a lot of interests such as music art and history and I may have led her astray by encouraging her to take her motorcycle test, not that it took much persuasion. She puts up with me bringing home all sorts of rusty junk and accompanies me on various daft expeditions. 

I'm only in the doghouse if I leave her out of something that she's interested in too.

• Like 6