EBay madness

Marcyg

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Each to their own, but it's just the same in other hobbies, people buying things as an "investment", the problem is that ever since collectors started paying silly money for 1930s Dinky toys that were old shop stock and still in their boxes, people have been buying and laying away new models. Add to this the instant collectibles that have been churned out over the last forty years and the prospect of a big return is a serious gamble.

Apparently some of the plastic toys given away with McDonald's Happy Meals are now worth serious money (in sets) because most of them were simply thrown away. Although why this would imbue them with any intrinsic value I am not sure, but there you are: it's a thing.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Very often, a bandwagon is created by someone with a vested interest. For instance, the Raleigh Chopper obsession in the late 90s. The bubble bursts once some people have made a lot of money from those who A: Have got to have the item. B: Have plenty of disposable income.

Once the cash cows have been milked, nobody cares what the item is worth.

PS, we had Raleigh Choppers second or third hand in the early eighties. They're the most godawful, unrideable piece of junk. Designed purely for posing and ritzing the other kids outside the village sweet shop.

Probably why the survivors are hung on man cave walls.

Definitely an attack of the rose tinted spectacles.

Don't get me started on the "value" of the the 50cc "Fizzy" moped! :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

43 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Apparently some of the plastic toys given away with McDonald's Happy Meals are now worth serious money (in sets) because most of them were simply thrown away. Although why this would imbue them with any intrinsic value I am not sure, but there you are: it's a thing.

Are they worth more if you kept the Happy Meals they cam with?  

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 17/10/2021 at 19:05, Martin S-C said:

Its a kit. Someone probably googled "00 kit" and found a Gibson loco at £200 and assumed a wagon would be a quarter of that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1960s-Airfix-Construction-Kits-2-Mineral-Wagons-/373423631210?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Been "reduced" to £34.99 now and still not sold. I did email the seller and say his prices were over the top, but he replied saying that he had checked against other items on eBay and that he was selling to the US market. Seems like that even the US aren't interested at that price.

Edited by ikcdab
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

30 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1960s-Airfix-Construction-Kits-2-Mineral-Wagons-/373423631210?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Been "reduced" to £34.99 now and still not sold. I did email the seller and say his prices were over the top, but he replied saying that he had checked against other items on eBay and that he was selling to the US market. Seems like that even the US aren't interested at that price.

But they're in ORIGINAL boxes (boxes are important to some ebayers) with original rusty staples, and an original price marking...  These factors must offset the £16, plus £2.50 delivery that you'd pay to Hattons for a pair of mineral wagon kits produced by Dapol from the same moulds!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/34852/dapol_c037_16_ton_mineral_wagon_plastic_kit/stockdetail

And with the Dapol kits you get metal wheels and tension lock couplings too...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

But they're in ORIGINAL boxes (boxes are important to some ebayers) with original rusty staples, and an original price marking...  These factors must offset the £16, plus £2.50 delivery that you'd pay to Hattons for a pair of mineral wagon kits produced by Dapol from the same moulds!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/34852/dapol_c037_16_ton_mineral_wagon_plastic_kit/stockdetail

And with the Dapol kits you get metal wheels and tension lock couplings too...

That is the first Hattons 2nd hand posting that DOESN'T mention the box. Even their model buses mention the box. I really don't get their fascination with boxes? I couldn't care less about the box. Does the locomotive wotk? The box is irrelevant.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Not if you are a collector! The loco could be a total non-runner (and you'd never know since to put it on the track and apply powers destroys its value and you couldn't be a proper collector if you put it on the track!). But boxes... especially good condition ones. They are some serious sh*t.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

The original Airfix kits were made from a harder plastic than the recent Dapol models. 

I believe that Dapol use a softer, recycled, plastic to lessen the wear on the mould tools.

Some Airfix kits can be obtained at reasonable prices, in some cases less than a Dapol version.

They are still a good basis for models today. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, John M Upton said:

EFE and other manufacturers diecast buses were going for extraordinary sums at one point, particularly certain operators like Southdown.  I bought the first issue EFE Harrington Cavalier in Southdown colours for the issue price of £12.50.  A few years later the same model was going for hundreds of pounds despite it actually not really being that good or accurate a model.  A few years ago I sold it, for ten quid INCLUDING the postage!!

Today nearly all diecast from that era, well you are lucky if you can shift it for the cost of the postage.  A lot of people got well and truly burnt and in the case of all those promotional Lledo vans and assorted rubbish, practically incinerated.

I've just been to Kempton Toy Fair this morning and there were some real bargains (or at least sensible prices) amongst the things I was looking at.  Lots of boxed buses at a fiver or less; plenty of model "projects" for no more than a few quid.  I can confirm that Lledo vans (boxed) were normally going for a quid each and some traders had HUNDREDS of them.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The original Airfix kits were made from a harder plastic than the recent Dapol models. 

I believe that Dapol use a softer, recycled, plastic to lessen the wear on the mould tools.

Some Airfix kits can be obtained at reasonable prices, in some cases less than a Dapol version.

They are still a good basis for models today. 

I have recently purchased (here) an Airfix LOWMAC / JCB3 kit box which contained two LOWMACs and four JCB3s - the mouldings were ultra-sharp and fitted together superbly.

The LOWMAC EKs, fitted with metal wheels and Peco / HD couplings, are completed and painted in the correct grey (unfitted) livery; the JCB3s are currently drying, having just been sprayed with Halfords Rover Inca Yellow paint; a tin of Phoenix BRS red paint awaits for picking-out the wheel centre and buckets. Needless to say, I have printed authentic JCB3 logo transfers to finishe them off!

As I have some Airfix RTR and HD / Wrenn fitted LOWMACs, I will be able to run a rake of four LOWMACS, loaded with factory-fresh JCB3s.

CJI.

image.png.d4d98b6d2fc7a5b5dfc5c746c2bdd9ca.png

image.png.c9ceacb68a996f0723f1fd2aeb36b510.png

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I have recently purchased (here) an Airfix LOWMAC / JCB3 kit box which contained two LOWMACs and four JCB3s - the mouldings were ultra-sharp and fitted together superbly.

The LOWMAC EKs, fitted with metal wheels and Peco / HD couplings, are completed and painted in the correct grey (unfitted) livery; the JCB3s are currently drying, having just been sprayed with Halfords Rover Inca Yellow paint; a tin of Phoenix BRS red paint awaits for picking-out the wheel centre and buckets. Needless to say, I have printed authentic JCB3 logo transfers to finishe them off!

As I have some Airfix RTR and HD / Wrenn fitted LOWMACs, I will be able to run a rake of four LOWMACS, loaded with factory-fresh JCB3s.

CJI.

image.png.d4d98b6d2fc7a5b5dfc5c746c2bdd9ca.png

image.png.c9ceacb68a996f0723f1fd2aeb36b510.png

Will they run on hydrogen though? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59107805

• Funny 2

8 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Crikey! I didn't realise those old Airfix kits had so much detail, or did you gild the lily, so to speak? Makes Oxford's diecast tractors look toylike in comparison!

:wink_mini:

Steve S

I am assuming that was a joke - model photos to follow in due course!

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Very often, a bandwagon is created by someone with a vested interest. For instance, the Raleigh Chopper obsession in the late 90s. The bubble bursts once some people have made a lot of money from those who A: Have got to have the item. B: Have plenty of disposable income.

Once the cash cows have been milked, nobody cares what the item is worth.

PS, we had Raleigh Choppers second or third hand in the early eighties. They're the most godawful, unrideable piece of junk. Designed purely for posing and ritzing the other kids outside the village sweet shop.

Probably why the survivors are hung on man cave walls.

Definitely an attack of the rose tinted spectacles.

Don't get me started on the "value" of the the 50cc "Fizzy" moped! :D

Ahhh! the 1975 Gilera Tiger Cross ... always wanted one, never did in the end after getting smashed up on my Dawes 5 speed racing bike... kind of put me off 2 wheels so brought my Morris Minor van (only it was an Austin) ex Wessex Water Board for £60 in 1978 sold it (mad fool that I was ) for £200 ...sigh !  If only I'd kept it

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I've just been to Kempton Toy Fair this morning and there were some real bargains (or at least sensible prices) amongst the things I was looking at.  Lots of boxed buses at a fiver or less; plenty of model "projects" for no more than a few quid.  I can confirm that Lledo vans (boxed) were normally going for a quid each and some traders had HUNDREDS of them.

Hundreds, eh? Someone tried to corner the market?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I am assuming that was a joke - model photos to follow in due course!

CJI.

In all honesty, of first glance I did think it was a superdetailed version of the kit, and then laughed at myself when I realised it was the 1:1 version! So yes, a bit of a tongue in cheek comment. Look forward to see your model versions, though!

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 27/10/2021 at 13:53, tubs01 said:

Remember this? I bought it for the opening bid. I think that @ianmaccwould agree that an allegedly working 0-6-0 chassis for under a tenner is a result. A Tri-ang Jinty chassis fetches at least that.

I've got it for a bit of an experiment and in the interest of not contributing to landfill, I'll probably put the body back on eBay if only to give us all a cheap laugh! :sarcastichand:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1