EBay madness

Marcyg

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

So am I. I notice that the seller is a well known charity (PDSA). Usually charities are on the ball with regard to valuations. Food for thought perhaps.

The seller just invited me to make an offer! Think I'd better decline. The kind of offer they are seeking wouldn't result in me sleeping in the shed, it would probably see me buried under the garden! :locomotive:

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

The seller just invited me to make an offer! Think I'd better decline. The kind of offer they are seeking wouldn't result in me sleeping in the shed, it would probably see me buried under the garden! :locomotive:

Likewise, I suspect that my other half would end up with some very strange looking fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror in her car...

• Funny 7

50 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Likewise, I suspect that my other half would end up with some very strange looking fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror in her car...

And I presume the survivors would be living in said car by then!? ;)

Like a weird variation on the Jack and the Beanstalk story?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 3

I suspect that the rest of me would be in an old coffee can on the mantelpiece...

It's interesting to speculate for a minute or two what it would be like to be able to casually splurge £275,000 on what is basically an old, busted toy.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I suspect that the rest of me would be in an old coffee can on the mantelpiece...

It's interesting to speculate for a minute or two what it would be like to be able to casually splurge £275,000 on what is basically an old, busted toy.

Tell you what, I would insist on an independent analysis to confirm build date, etc. I'm sure they're correct, but we live in funny times!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, kernowtim said:

Can anyone help, I seem to have misplaced the lid off my marker pen......

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

4 hours ago, kernowtim said:

But, to be fair, no mention of those damning words!  However, a bit economical with the truth, admitting to "front coupling has been broken off", but ignoring the replacement chimney completely!

4 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

Can anyone help, I seem to have misplaced the lid off my marker pen......

Cheers,

Phil.

Out of the box thinking and a creditable stab at a spark arrester chimney?

5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Experimental ink burning loco.

Extra solvent explains the startling acceleration and ultimate top speed!

Pricing-wise,  if you need a Smokey Joe chassis for a project, its not unreasonable.

• Like 4

On 28/01/2022 at 19:46, Re6/6 said:

I had another look at the listing, just to see how big the model was, and realised that there were a fair number of "descriptive" photos.  The clockwork one was particularly interesting as it shows how crudely put together it was.  It certainly looks like bits of "time-expired" clock went into it, and may well be a later addition to a large display model made for whoever commissioned the original ship.

I also scrolled through the logorrhoeic screed attempting to describe how "important" the item is. There's lots of conjecture, but little in the way of referencing for the various claims made, and none of the provenance one would expect for such a high-ticket item.

The amount of repetition would also have the writer knocked out of "Just A Minute" in about five seconds flat!

Jeeves, my bargepole please!!!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I had another look at the listing, just to see how big the model was, and realised that there were a fair number of "descriptive" photos.  The clockwork one was particularly interesting as it shows how crudely put together it was.  It certainly looks like bits of "time-expired" clock went into it, and may well be a later addition to a large display model made for whoever commissioned the original ship.

I also scrolled through the logorrhoeic screed attempting to describe how "important" the item is. There's lots of conjecture, but little in the way of referencing for the various claims made, and none of the provenance one would expect for such a high-ticket item.

The amount of repetition would also have the writer knocked out of "Just A Minute" in about five seconds flat!

Jeeves, my bargepole please!!!

The listing also says:

The oldest working steam train was built in 1855 

Shows how much they know! 

• Funny 4

22 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Brings a new interpretation to Thomas and "friends"....

Perhaps they now want to be known as Thomasina?

Thomasina - drag queen! Those troublesome trucks won't know what hit them! :locomotive:

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 2