EBay madness

Marcyg

As with a lot of businesses dealing in "antiques", be it jewellery, furniture, vintage cars, whatever, all you have to do is show the bank that you have a lot of valuable assets. It's what business overdrafts are built upon.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, GS85 said:

"Condition: Used" - and abused! A case for the RSPCL??

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, rab said:

Aimed at the insane collector market, I suspect. It's not something that any normal person would want!

And it looks more like a Pacific missing its trailing pony truck rather than a conventional 4-6-0....

:-)

Edited by Hroth
More, much more!!!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

And it looks more like a Pacific missing its trailing pony truck rather than a conventional 4-6-0....

The illustrations of Henry in the early books, prior to his rebuild, are inconsistent.  In his 'Gresley' incarnation he appears with and without trailing wheels.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 minutes ago, petethemole said:

The illustrations of Henry in the early books, prior to his rebuild, are inconsistent.  In his 'Gresley' incarnation he appears with and without trailing wheels.

I can see what you mean (ref Book 1: The Sad Story of Henry/Edward, Gordon and Henry) some pictures of Henry look as if he might have a pony truck, but I think thats more down to Dalbys heavy use of "speed lines" under the cab. In the final picture where Henry is getting a blue livery, he's definitely a 4-6-0.  Dalby wasn't a consistent illustrator, I think I read somewhere that the Rev Awdry wasn't happy with some of his interpretations!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I can see what you mean (ref Book 1: The Sad Story of Henry/Edward, Gordon and Henry) some pictures of Henry look as if he might have a pony truck, but I think thats more down to Dalbys heavy use of "speed lines" under the cab. In the final picture where Henry is getting a blue livery, he's definitely a 4-6-0.  Dalby wasn't a consistent illustrator, I think I read somewhere that the Rev Awdry wasn't happy with some of his interpretations!

The first picture in 'Sad Story' shows it quite clearly, and in the second it's blurred by the 'speed lines'.  In 'Edward, Gordon and Henry' he clearly doesn't have it and looks rather awkward as a result.  Guess who has the complete edition within arm's reach.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Guess who has the complete edition within arm's reach.

Me too.... 

Yes, the first two do have a pony truck under the cab. Perhaps the heavy speed lines were drawn to try and disguise them after adverse authorial comment, rather than Dalby having to redraw the offending illustrations?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

Aimed at the insane collector market, I suspect. It's not something that any normal person would want!

I'm SO GLAD i'm a 'normal person'! 🥸

• Funny 5

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

Because it was! Well, actually a 4-6-4 missing its rear bogie - the TV series prop was made using a Marklin T18/BR78 chassis.

21 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

'Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest RMweber of them all?'

And do you know what it said!? 😲 MR FOX!!

I think that you're confusing your canines there!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, GS85 said:

Looks like Windward Isles after Harrow .... October 1952

• Agree 3