EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Hroth said:

Another suggested security device in the 60s was an isolator switch fitted in an "inconspicuous" place.  I don't know what it cut the supply to, but given an experience when our Bedford CA "camper" (self converted) died and refused to start until a friend suggested where to look, a good place would be to the LT connection to the ignition coil...

CAs had sliding doors, they rattled ferociously and were a wee bit draughty to boot!

I fitted such an isolator to my Hillman Minx Series V, (probably more in hope than anticipation that it would get nicked), broke the lt lead via the panel light flick switch on the dashboard, so the switch had to be on to start, the panel lights were wired into the lighting switch directly.

Mike.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bucoops said:

One wonders if "Blitz" was the right name to pick for a German product? 

It's a name that's been on Opel trucks for decades, since we'll before air raids on Britain. 

That said, many of the troop carriers used in the blitzkrieg operations were Opel Blitzes.

Known to our troops as a' Metric Bedford', as GM had owned both companies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Bucoops said:

One wonders if "Blitz" was the right name to pick for a German product? 

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's a name that's been on Opel trucks for decades, since we'll before air raids on Britain. 

That said, many of the troop carriers used in the blitzkrieg operations were Opel Blitzes.

Known to our troops as a' Metric Bedford', as GM had owned both companies.

Blitz means lightening in English, blitzkrieg means lightening war. Actually apart from being metric the Opel engine was almost identical to the Chevrolet 'stovebolt six' used in the US and Canadian built trucks of that make. The Bedford engine was derived from that engine but with some modifications such as a smaller cylinder bore and the addition of pressure lubrication.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

47 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Blitz means lightening in English, blitzkrieg means lightening war. Actually apart from being metric the Opel engine was almost identical to the Chevrolet 'stovebolt six' used in the US and Canadian built trucks of that make. The Bedford engine was derived from that engine but with some modifications such as a smaller cylinder bore and the addition of pressure lubrication.

Blitz is also the name of the Opel badge - a circle with a horizontal lightning bolt across the diameter.

https://images.app.goo.gl/DamfAiQi6JYfvnFb9

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Fancied reliving my youth with an old Hornby Dock Authority shunter. A bit of fun and usually cheap as chips so this came as a bit of a surprise:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125343538079

Plenty of others for around £35 boxed, can’t see what’s special about this one?

Is this the version fitted with a tiny fusion reactor?? 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 40152 said:

Fancied reliving my youth with an old Hornby Dock Authority shunter. A bit of fun and usually cheap as chips so this came as a bit of a surprise:

Wow!  Can't see how these are in sudden demand, given the plethora of highly detailed stuff now coming on the market.

I bought one of those Triang dock shunters on EBay about five years ago for three quid.  It only needed a good clean up and new pick ups to make it a runner.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Is this the version fitted with a tiny fusion reactor?? 

Well apparently it’s been in their Engineering Department. For that money I’d want a warp drive fitted.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Well apparently it’s been in their Engineering Department. For that money I’d want a warp drive fitted.

possibly thr pizza cutter wheels have been turned down??? does that cost £80?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

3 hours ago, 40152 said:

Wow!

1 hour ago, CHAZ D said:

possibly thr pizza cutter wheels have been turned down??? does that cost £80?

I thought they might have modified the wheels somehow, perhaps turned down the knurling, but apart from some cleaning and polishing, they look absolutely stock...

DAS1.jpg.d149f9c7e1fdbe0f4932dfe45967b4a9.jpg

I've a boxed one, BUT I'M KEEPING IT!!!  :-)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I've got a Dokafority, currently in bits waiting for me to rebuild the chassis into jackshaft driven inside frame form; I have a motor of forgotten provenance with a 38:1 gearbox fitted and will base the job on an old 'Nellie' chassis block. 

They are odd little beasts but with plenty of character, based apparently on a New Zealand Bagnall prototype which is a jackshaft driven DM.  This makes more sense when you consider that a version of it was available as part of the Transcontinental range.  It is a bulky beast in 4mm and is not far off the full width and height of the UK loading gauge in that scale; as a 3.5mm scale loco it is even more hefty.  The prototype never had the Deltic cab windows.  Mine, when rebuilt, will take up duties as an NCB colliery loco.  It certainly convinces as a forerunner of the massive Bagnall 0-4-0s at Port Talbot Steelworks.  Mine is called Cyclops, a reference to the single headlamp, which despite the model's considerable antiquity and (from the state of it) extensive usage, still works!  It has an oil-stained royal blue livery which I think suits it.  I've also built a cab interior for it, with a control panel based loosely on the layout of an 08's, but of course without the vacuum brake.

It dwarfs my W4 Peckett, but look ok alongside an Austerity Hunslet.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 40152 said:

But according to the write up it was made in China in 2002.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:
5 hours ago, 40152 said:

Saw that. Makes it really R@RE and clearly worth the price? 🤣

• Funny 7

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

No way! 😀

This is an older Margate made Tri-ang Railways chassis, the later models have a different pick up arrangement.

It's never been made in China...

I don't believe the description either, "little use", "mint".

It's an old model. Unboxed...

And someone, their "engineering department" perhaps, have polished the buffer heads, and the wheels....so not as manufactured, so not mint. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

On 20/05/2022 at 23:45, MrWolf said:

Scroll back 25 years or so to all those Lima limited edition diesels. What are they really worth? 

Puts me in mind of the Viz Comic Franklyn Mint Mr Kipling Chess set!

On 21/05/2022 at 07:10, Bucoops said:

As the owner of two, not nearly enough :D

On 21/05/2022 at 07:25, Hroth said:

£25 max?  🤪

On 21/05/2022 at 12:21, RailroadRich said:

I must be the only buying/selling Limas & related locos for honest prices on ebay 😅

Seems as if it's boxed & even runs a couple of cms it's worth £100 these days which boggles my mind. 

On 21/05/2022 at 12:37, Ncarter2 said:

I guess it comes down to what someone is willing to pay. I had a lot of Lima 59’s which I sold about 3 years ago, interestingly, the Mendip rail one sold for just under £150,  vastly greater than the £30 I was expecting. While not limited editions, 59101 and 59203 also fetched not far off three figures. Very pleasing, but I suspect I was lucky with a couple of very determined buyers. 

Just catching up on this thread, but I have to say that the later production Lima models - particularly a number of the Limited Editions - are definitely on the up these days. It's taken a while, and proves that buying trains for 'investment' is rarely a good idea, but the days are well behind us when £25 would buy you anything Lima. 

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I suspect that as the price of new models has doubled in the last few years and the price of recently discontinued models always goes up, it will inevitably drag up the price of models that were treated with derision.

It happens with everything. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Prices, allowing for a few anomlaies due to competitive human nature and the idea that you 'win' an auction, ridiculous concept if you've paid over the odds, are a funtion of the holy Laws of Supply and Demand, iron, pitiless, and immutable as the courses of the stars in the heavens.  Rising prices for new models inevitably increase demand for and reduce supply of secondhand models, because buyers will want to spend less money and sellers will be persuaded by the price of a replacement to hang on to older models.  This is why the price of new models drags up the price of older secondhand ones.  The only situation in which prices would go down in the 2h market would be if a new model of a very well selling item, let's say a Class 37, were to be produced at an acceptable level of quality for a significantly lower price than the competition, unlikely but run with the idea for a moment.

Assuming the producer could flood the market with these new models, the market price of secondhand 37s would drop through the floor because supply would exceed demand and sellers would be trying to give the things away.  This explains why secondhand Limas were cheap as chips at one time and why the prices asked now are surprising those of us who remember those days.  Lima were cheap to buy new, but flooded the 2h market when newer models that were better quality at prices that most modellers could afford replaced them in the 'new' market, so modellers replaced their Lima 37s with Bachmanns and dumped them on to the 2h market. 

Since then the price of a new 37s from Bachmann has gone through the roof, become a hazard to air traffic, and is heading for orbit.  But you want a 37 on your layout, and can't justify the cost of a new Baccy, so you think 'actually a 2h Lima will do, cheap as chips aren't they? lets have a look what's on the Bay.  How much!!!  Ok, it's still half the price of a new one'.  At this point you may get involved in a bidding war with a group of modellers whose thought processes are the same of yours, or even be fooled by the likes of Rails into paying as much as a 2h Bachmann for a 2h Lima.  Caveat Emptor, and Nil Illigitami Carborundum.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Just catching up on this thread, but I have to say that the later production Lima models - particularly a number of the Limited Editions - are definitely on the up these days. It's taken a while, and proves that buying trains for 'investment' is rarely a good idea, but the days are well behind us when £25 would by you anything Lima. 

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I suspect that as the price of new models has doubled in the last few years and the price of recently discontinued models always goes up, it will inevitably drag up the price of models that were treated with derision.

It happens with everything. 

Must admit I was being a tad optimistic...

Nevertheless, what I had been looking for was a green Lima EE Type 3, split headcode boxes, without a yellow front end, to do a bodyswap with a Hornby banana coloured TTS example. I counted myself lucky when one popped up in Hattons pre-owned listing for £35, given that you see bodyshells alone going for that price...

Now all I have to do is find someone who desperately needs a Lima chassis with a Hornby Network Rail livery body....

• Like 2