The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Take me out television show

winterbournecm

Was "railroaded" into watching the Paddy McGuiness Take Me Out show last night with SWMBO and two teenage daughters. For those who havent seen the show, a group of 30 girls are wooed by a single chap who hopes to keep their love interest with a series of chat and video clips. As the girls lose interest, they light a red lamp and are taken out of the running. It's a bit like Blind Date from the 80s & 90s.

We watched as the females on the panel swiftly despatched the hapless chaps who'd been teleported onto the stage via a tube!

As the videos played of our male contestants - I wonderded how many red lights would illuminate should the guy mention an interest in railways, model or real, irrespective of whether he looked like George Clooney or Brad Pitt? I would imagine a sea of red like a multiple track circuit failure would ensue. The womanfolk in the lounge suggested a huge thumbs down if any railway related interest was shown.

I've not seen this episode of the programme but the one I did watch was toe-curlingly AWFUL - tabloid TV at its utter worst. I only watched it because I happened to know one of the contestants, whom I forgive for taking part.

Chris

Depends on whether the dumb girls on the panel have a brain cell between them - some how I watched* about 10 seconds of this program while desperately trawling the many channels of so called entertainment and decided that the girls were so lacking in intelligence or character that they all deserved their destiny - a footballer's mistress.

* perhaps "watched" is too strong a word to admit to - more like the channel flicking paused for too long a glimpse than any sane person should be subjected to. The trouble is that there is far too much of this on tv.

Guest stuartp

I have been forced completely against my will to not only watch every episode of this but also to have each episode described in detail at work the next week.

It would appear that not only railways but football, mates, work, self preening and any number of normally hip cool and trendy pastimes are likely to get you a red light. In short, anything suggesting that the girl might not be the centre of attention every waking moment.

Edit: Currently watching (sort of) "Justin's House" :banghead:

Depends on whether the dumb girls on the panel have a brain cell between them - .........(edited)

Agree! I actually met my partner through asking her, as a professional acquittance, if she know if her employer would be interested in architectural models of the properties they administered. They weren't as it happened!

However, we bonded and she appreciated that as a railway modeller I should have such basic skills as;- woodwork, soldering, metalwork,etc, etc, etc!

OK, I hope there is more to our relationship than that but it makes the point about stereo-types I think?

Craig,

I admire your pluck for having the balls to owning up to watching that drivel!

A railway modeller admitting to watching that stuff is as bad as admitting you're a railway modeller to a fan of that show!

From what I gather is it something like that program "Blind Drunk" that Cilla Black used to do,

You know the one, all posers an slappers!

To be a contestant on a show like that is admitting that you can't attract a member of the opposite sex without making your self look a right plonker on national TV.

Still every one to their own.

Cheers!

Frank

The girls on there are like Paris, a nice place to visit but I wouldnt want to live there, I tend to watch the opening bit just to have a bit of an oggle/ perv but turn over before any of them open their mouths say anything.

Guest dilbert

The girls on there are like Paris, a nice place to visit but I wouldnt want to live there,

Having lived in Paris for several years it's a great place if you're single or married without children. It's even better when you avoid the tourist traps (like any major city)... dilbert

More chance than anyone admitting it ....

Chris

SWMBO is glued to this show as well, but to me it is an awful programme.

It is noticeable though, that certain comments result in immediate lights going out across the panel. The main one seems to be 'living with Mum', but being involved with animals/farming is another (presumably the girls don't want to get dirty - shame).

Any kind of entertainment skill (singing, dancing, etc) also results in a mass light turn off - and I can only assume that the women who go on that show want to make sure they remain the centre of attention, and not have competition from their partner.

Someone did ask Paddy why they didn't make a reverse show, with 30 men. His reply was pretty straightforward really, and that was because none of the men would ever turn their lights off, and certainly not turn off because of the shoes a woman was wearing.

Posted · Hidden by bike2steam, February 20, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by bike2steam, February 20, 2012 - No reason given
Craig, I admire your pluck for having the balls to owning up to watching that drivel! A railway modeller admitting to watching that stuff is as bad as admitting you're a railway modeller to a fan of that show! From what I gather is it something like that program "Blind Drunk" that Cilla Black used to do, You know the one, all posers an slappers! To be a contestant on a show like that is admitting that you can't attract a member of the opposite sex without making your self look a right plonker on national TV. Still every one to their own. Cheers! Frank
Your being kind, I'd call it puerile drivel.
  • RMweb Gold

I must declare that this show is a guilty pleasure of mine, but then I do love a bit of car crash telly. There's an Irish version too which is even more tragic, but the great fun there is looking out to see if someone you know is on it (we all know each other after all...)

It's great fun watching 30 odd pieces of pond life resorting to desperate measures like embarrassing themselves on TV in order to get a date. Then some of them thinking they can still afford to be picky. It makes for hilarious TV.

I'd say most of the people on here can afford to be smug as we don't need to resort to such desperation to get a date.

Archived