Camden Shed

I was wondering were the metalsmith one was, the peco is very close, just the deck and wheel arrangements, anyway I'll post it anyway.

PS have you seen 'model signal box portfolio' by gravy train on this site, some really nice workmanship over there!!

Yes, I've been inspired by that signal box thread too. Maybe if these work out I'll post completed pics there too. As you say, the peco tt is close enough to provide a basis for butchery!

A bit more progress on the LNWR box, fairly self-explanatory:

post-10140-0-98319100-1369829267_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-76770900-1369829281_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-30973800-1369829295_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-64325500-1369829308_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-26874700-1369829321_thumb.jpg

Of course, I failed to factor in the thickness of all these brick overlays when calculating the size of the locking room base, so while it remains fractionally narrower than the cabin, it is now a little too close to that.

Hmmmm....

Iain

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Splendid work with the plastikard, Iain.

Don't tell me you are going to re-build it in order to produce a narrower base?

Inspirational stuff - I'll bear this in mind when I get round to my signal box (in 2014?!)

Jeff

Thanks Jeff and Mike.

No, not going to rebuild it! I allowed for one thickness of brick either side, but there are three on the front face and two on the rear, so I'm 45-60 thou overwidth in total. I think there remains just enough of a width difference to give the right impression. Once the walkways are installed, the cabin should have the illusion of being a fraction wider than it is anyway. Also, it sits side on to the layout so won't be too obviously the wrong profile.

Iain

• Like 2

will be a pity to paint these two !!

fantastic workmanship based on such little information, click on photo to fully open.

post-11084-0-80628100-1408944490_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 1

Thanks Stanley. I did actually get a massive pile of info that is not mine to share on here, but suffice to say it was priceless!

I'm going to have to wait a little before painting both boxes because I'm not 100% certain what brick colours they should be. I suspect similar to the other buildings around - a mix of the yellow-brown London colour with some hints of red showing through.

So a bit more progress on this area of the layout - the footbridge over to the goods depot. This will be the scenic break at the south end.

Pic here (I have a copy of this one but it was provided by Stanley earlier in the thread).

post-10140-0-90646300-1370170081.jpg

The overall structure under construction using a shell of 60 thou plasticard for a bit of strength:

post-10140-0-83178200-1370170157_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-18798500-1370170213_thumb.jpg

The shell in place roughly on the layout:

post-10140-0-86540000-1370170387_thumb.jpg

Adding 10 thou strip for the girder edges:

post-10140-0-48935200-1370170232_thumb.jpg

And some rivet strip:

post-10140-0-83389300-1370170300_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-09173100-1370170337_thumb.jpg

This close up it perhaps looks a bit heavy handed, but I hope the overall effect will work once completed, painted and weathered in place.

2 panels done.... Quite a few to go!

Iain

(Edit for mistyping)

Edited by 92220
  • Like 9

Hi Jamie

I think it was Slaters sheet 0431. It comes as a big sheet 4mm and 7mm scale, at different spacings. We had a discussion earlier in the thread when I was contemplating how to add 20000 rivets to the road bridge at the other end.

Iain

A little more progress on the footbridge:

post-10140-0-35462000-1370385503_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-93777600-1370385519_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-26162800-1370385592_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-92161700-1370385566_thumb.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't as clear as I'd like. Will get some better ones when I get a bit further. Hopefully the details will be clearly representative of the real thing when completed.

The girder sides and riveted detail are nearly complete (I'm not doing the reverse as the footbridge will sit flush against the backscene. I need to add the covered walkway then, which is partly glazed.

Iain

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Lovely work Iain. Nice to see someone else has been building bridges - though very different to my own!

As someone said to me recently, have you had chance for a running session on Camden of late? It'd be nice to see your 9Fs thundering past your recent constructions!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks. I did run something for Gordon S when he came round a couple of weeks ago, but the backscene boards are all off the wall and laid across the baseboards for painting, so it's a bit difficult at present! Once they are painted, I should be able to complete and permanently fit everything beyond the mainlines - the goods depot, the signal boxes, the station and various huts, both bridges, plus all the ground debris. Then there should be the opportunity to take a few pictures of trains running even while I get on with completing the shed area, which is in itself a big undertaking.....

But the idea has always been to get the mainlines and FY fully functional (which they are) and scenic where needed (which still has a way to go), and then to work further in towards the operating well.

Iain

• Like 4

A little more progress....

post-10140-0-12590000-1370544808_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-10987800-1370544817_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-14175300-1370544827_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-75720800-1370544839_thumb.jpg

In the third shot you can also see the preparation for the painting of the backscene. Unfortunately the painter's mum has been taken ill so there is a bit of a delay, but there are way more important things in the world than a backscene painting.

Iain

• Like 11

And a bit more.......

I've primed the girder section and built most of the covered walkway. Hopefully it is visible in the second photo especially that every other vertical plate is tapered towards the top, as on the real thing. Also, there is a double vertical plate where the supporting frame sits. However, the effect of those tapered plates is that from some angles it looks as if the whole bridge has been built out of marzipan without ruler or square but with a healthy dose of LSD. It is pretty square in reality!

post-10140-0-01619600-1370552925_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-14994500-1370552938_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-13337700-1370552952_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-66056000-1370552960_thumb.jpg

Iain

• Like 12

Hi Iain

Absoloutly loving your thread, the bridge is a work or art

Can I ask which brick sheet have you used for the LNWR Signal box base and the goods shed as well please? I love how realistic the brick layering looks from your technique.

David

• Like 1

Thanks David, that's very kind.

I used Slaters 4mm English Bond throughout. It does have a problem that, while the courses are straight horizontally, it doesn't quite line up square vertically. Basically, it's a sheet of 89/91 degree parallelograms. So on the goods depot wall, the inner sheet plus the top and bottom outer layers are laid using the horizontal course alignment as a datum. Then the narrow vertical outer sections (are these buttresses?) are laid according to the vertical alignment because otherwise they would look very odd and slanted. They're narrow enough not to look odd in the horizontal when you do this. In retrospect the SE finecast brick sheet may have been better, although it would need treating to reduce the relief somewhat.

Thanks Jason! That's praise indeed and thanks for all your help and inspiration. Glad the move went well.

Iain

Edited by 92220
  • Like 1

Nice work as ever, Iain.

You'll have to tell me the secret of doing it so quickly. I thought I was a bit slow as it seems to taken me all week just to put the canopy covering securing strips and valance edging on the three station canopies for London Road. Then I remembered I'd done another four feet of retaining wall and partial built the last lighting gantry unit.

Still, you seem to make very fast progress.

Jol

p.s. got any ideas for a suitable paint colour for weathered zinc sheet? :scratchhead:

Thanks Jol.

Not sure I am that fast but I seem to do a lot of thinking about how I might construct something, then once I start it seems to flow ok. If I start and find I've embarked on a flawed method, I do bin it and start again before I've wasted too much time. I also accept a certain amount of compromise......some would say an unacceptable level in any case as it's 16.5mm gauge in the first place but let's not start that one! For example, the LNWR box should be double sided in that it served the goods yard more than anything. But this box on the layout is partly a scenic break in itself, so I've built it with just one side glazed.

Weathered zinc sheet? No idea! I'm a complete novice with colours. I'm happy with the grey primer for the girder part of the footbridge but less sure so far for the top section, which appears to be creosoted timber heavily soot-stained. I may just paint it matt black then weather it. Even the glazing is caked in grime.

post-10140-0-42163300-1370601032_thumb.jpg

(Courtesy of Gerald T Robinson's Flickr stream)

Iain

Iain,

perhaps the ultimate in the art of compromise was Ray Earl. His layouts and stock were often only "finished" on the viewing side, but he still produced wonderful models that were highly regarded on the exhibition circuit. 

It's great modelling an era when good colour photos are available. The Edwardians weren't so helpful.

Jol

Hi Jol,

Indeed. Although I'd love a few more colour ones! In particular, I'm still a bit undecided what colour brickwork is on the LNWR and ARP boxes. The goods depot above has more hints of red brick to it than the brown/yellow of the station building I've previously done.

Iain

• RMweb Gold

Iain,

Great progress. I am looking to go down the plasticard route my self for some viaducts on my layout, partly due to the inspiration of the work on your layout. Like you I like to work things out in my mind before launching into the work. Looking forward to more progress.

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Jol,

Indeed. Although I'd love a few more colour ones! In particular, I'm still a bit undecided what colour brickwork is on the LNWR and ARP boxes. The goods depot above has more hints of red brick to it than the brown/yellow of the station building I've previously done.

Iain

Iain,

the LNWR probably sourced the bricks reasonably locally. So whatever is used on other buildings of a similar period would also have been used for the signal box base. I'd be inclined to go with the goods depot colours.

Jol

• Like 1