Gauge 0 Guild Spring Show

glo41f

The Annual Guage 0 Guild Spring Show will be held on Saturday 3rd of March from 10.00 until 16.00 at Kettering Leisure Village, Thurston Drive, Kettering Northants NN15 6GN. Trade show, layoutrs demonstrations models and Guild Services. All welcome wheter Guild Members or not. Admission £5.

The Leisure Villages is a short distance from Kettering Station.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just done a 110 mile round trip to the show and never got out of the car. On arrival at about 10:30 there was a huge queue due to the car park being full. The adjacent housing estate was also full of creativly parked cars. I was handed a map to an overflow car park but the copy was so poor, none of the roads were shown, just the route so it was useless.

Shambles. Pity as it looked like a good show. Won't bother again.

I've just done a 110 mile round trip to the show and never got out of the car. On arrival at about 10:30 there was a huge queue due to the car park being full. The adjacent housing estate was also full of creativly parked cars. I was handed a map to an overflow car park but the copy was so poor, none of the roads were shown, just the route so it was useless.

Shambles. Pity as it looked like a good show. Won't bother again.

That's shocking Phil, so sorry to hear that...

I arrived at around 11am, and had to cheekily park on the end of a block, though without blocking anyone in of course.. Parking was horrendous indeed, but apparently there was another show on today in one of the other halls which is why the parking was (so?) much worse than last year..

JB.

I agree wholeheartedly with Phil, shambles is a polite way of putting it in my opinion. I too drove about 110 miles but did go in after spending half an hour finding somewhere to park and it was a good show. But the amount of Disabled Parking bays for such a venue was very poor and the whole issue of parking needs looking at. I too will be put off going next year I regret to say.

Regards.

Totally agree with all the comments, the show was fantastic, but the parking :jester: we spent 45 minutes trying to park :nono: and the way some cars parked was unbelievable, a Double Decker bus was stuck in the middle of the car park due to cars blocking him one of the stewards just laughed and walked off leaving me and my friend helping the driver to reverse out???

I will say that the show was fantastic it would have been perfect if the parking had been sorted out better.

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Car parking at Kettering is always a bit of a lottery. I arrived around 11:30 to see some very creative car parking so I just drove past the centre, parked up and had a 10 minute walk back. The show was excellent and a new record for me as I didn't buy anything :O although I suspect my credit card/chequebook won't fare so well next time at Halifax.

Kettering was my first MR event which I enjoyed immensely but I agree parking needs sorting out. I also arrived at 11:00 ( had planned on 10:00, best laid plans and all that) , I was directed by the stewards and could see that this was not being done properly, I say this as while queuing near one of the stewards his radio barked "how many spaces left?", no reaction from the steward, well at least the guy on the main gate was trying to do his job. The end result being a long line of cars within the Carpark stuck when the stewards suddenly announce " No more places". I was lucky as I happened to be at a junction where others had parked half on the verge where there was a space, I politely pointed this out to the steward who was in the process of telling me "No more spaces" and was allowed to park. I had a round trip of 142 miles, if I hadn't of been allowed to park I too would have had to leave, although only because my wife was with me who's currently in a brace having suffered a broken back due to a traffic incident, I needed to be reasonably close to the venue.

Having said all this I had a great time at my first event and will return although next time I'll make sure to be very early as originally planned. I wonder how much trade was lost due to the parking issue, I certainly spent a reasonable amount of money that would have been lost if unable to park.

However I am looking forward to further events...:)

Pete

Pete, I know you'll see posts on the GOG Forum, but there were some dedicated disabled bays coned off around the back of the facility, closer to the entry for the show.

Posted on Guild Forum....

"Looking at the whole parking issue, it didn't help that part of the car park was not available due to re-surfacing.

I was there before 10am , and yes there was a queue, but the helpful stewards arranged for a number of us to park on the pedestrian paved area in front of the facility. What didn't help was those inconsiderate souls taking up two spaces !

If there was another event on too, then we cannot blame the Leisure Centre in these tight economic times, but we should be thankful they are able to accomodate us and be thankful that the traders who support our hobby take out the time and expense to attend such shows.

Must try to win the EuroMillions so I can build a dedicated facility for us all ;-)

Ian"

• RMweb Premium

I copied the above comments onto the Gauge O Guild Forum and I now have permission from the Chairman to reproduce his reply here for information to all those who experienced difficulties with parking.

From the Guild Chairman.

Gentlemen, I am not being pompous but titled this post so that you can expect something to be done for next year.

Your frustration over the parking I sympathise with. I arrived at the show at 8-30(am) well before opening time and was suprised by the lack of space in the car parks. Judging by the badges some people were wearing there was a dog handling session taking place in addition to whatever are the normal activities of the Centre. Later in the day I drove an irrate member back to the overflow car park as he had been informed, incorrectly, that the shuttle bus was not in operation.

I spoke to one of the 'yellow jacketed' attendants and he informed me that the overflow car park and shuttle bus had been organised by the Centre, at which his daughter works. He lamented a lack of planning and signing on their behalf and said that he would be making his views known the to Centre management.

At the moment I have not had chance to discuss this with the Events team but a discussion will take place, as is usual after every show.

Please be advised that if comments are to be made concerning the Guild it would be preferable to make them on THIS forum rather than elsewhere. Comments made elsewhere may not be seen by myself or other members of Guild management and a lack of response within those forums could be wrongly seen as indifference on our part and gives negative publicity to the Guild.

Bruce Pinchbeck

• RMweb Premium

Further to the above, there has now been a response from the Management at the Kettering venue, copied below

Dear all - a resonse from Kettering Leisure Centre below,

Nigel

"Thank you for your email, pleased to hear that the event was successful and that you had the best attendance this year.

Further to our telephone conversation this morning I have just had a meeting with Indy and colleagues from the Kettering Conference Centre and we are all in agreement that the car park was an issue for your event at the weekend. Therefore we have discussed and agreed that Kettering Conference Centre will not hold any events on your future booking dates. This will release approximately a further 220 car parking spaces for your event.

The Park and Ride facility will be improved for next year with better signage and clearer instructions to the overflow car park. I believe that communicating with yourselves prior to the event will also help in the smooth running of the park and ride.

Although for this years event we reserved an extra 9 spaces for disabled users, we realise that this is not ample and we will endeavor to increase this for future bookings.

I feel with an improved combination of the above any parking issues will be resolved for next year.

Your comments and feedback are very valuable to us and help us to improve the service we provide. I hope the decisions outlined above meet with your approval and we continue working together in future years.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty to the centre and I hope this resolves any concerns you may have had for your event".

Hello

I hope I have got this wrong but.....

I don't agree with ripping post from here and displaying them on other servers expecially if the posters were not asked first. Does anyone know if that was the case.

Surely a pointer to another forum would do, in this case it was a Guild show and was also being discussed on there. I am a Guild member but am quite happy to float between the 2 forums but I don't want anybody ripping my posts from here or there and displaying them elsewhere.

Regards

Hello

I don't agree with ripping post from here and displaying them on other servers expecially if the posters were not asked first. Does anyone know if that was the case.

Surely a pointer to another forum would do, in this case it was a Guild show and was also being discussed on there. I am a Guild member but am quite happy to float between the 2 forums but I don't want anybody ripping my posts from here or there and displaying them elsewhere.

Regards

A very valid point I must admit. However One of the posts "ripped" was mine and I personally have no objection to the action of the Forum member who posted it on the "O" Gauge Guild. I also know Bruce Pinchbeck and agree it would probably have been better if I had posted on the "O" Gauge Guild Forum in the first place. However I was somewhat upset at feeling so unwell on the Saturday evening that my emotion got the better of me.

Lets be Positive and hope that the issue does not arise again in 2013 or later years and remember in the cold light of day, three days later that it was a Fantastic Show and thank everyone involved in making it so.

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

I must apologise for any ill feeling caused by my copying posts from here and posting them on the GOG Forum but that was following a posting there which said how well everything had been with no problems and that was from someone who was part of their Events Team. I knew that some here were unhappy with the parking arrangements and with hindsight it would have been better to simply give the Guild a link to RMweb - but then how may would have actually bothered to follow it. By copying the posts there (without any names) at least it was in a place where the Guild Officers would see it. As you now know, both Bruce and Nigel have taken action and hopefully next year will see an improvement.

As it happens I'm a new member to the Guild and this was my first show/ I was there with the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association information stand and we did better that expected - 3 memberships, several publications and some other modelling goods sold. I won't be able to get to Halifax but I'm looking forward to Telford.

Mike

Hello

I don't agree with ripping post from here and displaying them on other servers expecially if the posters were not asked first.  Does anyone know if that was the case.

Surely a pointer to another forum would do, in this case it was a Guild show and was also being discussed on there.   I am a Guild member but am quite happy to float between the 2 forums but I don't want anybody ripping my posts from here or there and displaying them elsewhere.

Regards

I can see the point, but a link to a closed members only site is as much use as a 404 page not found message.

It makes me glad I did not attend Kettering this year. The parking has been just as bad in previous years and TBH I wouldn't dream of parking my car on the roads of the housing estate opposite with the expectation of returning to find no wheels or worse. As it happens the date clash with Abingdon show was bad enough (they seem to organise parking - but too far away to be of any use) and in the end circumstances arose that meant I did not have to choose.

Parking - or rather the lack of it is a really serious issue especially for shows such as this where probably a high proportion of visitors travel a long way at relative high expense. Overflow parking is ok if shuttle transport has been arranged and is clearly promoted. We are probably all strangers to the area.

I can see little in the two statements above that would reassure me not to waste time and petrol traveling to Kettering next year. It is a pity as this has a reputation of otherwise being a good show and an important purchasing event regarding trade.

Sometimes I also find that poor parking management goes with some of these shows. With no parking organisation you get people parking badly taking up too much room or blocking. I'm quite happy to throw a few £ in a bucket for the local "scouts" manning the parking but to pay the council Park-n-Ride charges, then someone else can have my space.

Hi Kenton, you said

I can see the point, but a link to a closed members only site is as much use as a 404 page not found message.

I'm sure that if you are not a Guild member you can still read the posts but you can not post any replies without logging on. So if a link had been provided here you would be able to still read the contents, in this case the reply letter from the Kettering centre. So no 404 messge like.

I have made a similar post about ripping on the Guild forums pointing out that someone could rip the Tech manual pages and post them elsewhere and that would be very unsatisfactory.

Maybe RM and the Guild need to consider if they should protect their contents from ripping.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure that if you are not a Guild member you can still read the posts but you can not post any replies without logging on. So if a link had been provided here you would be able to still read the contents, in this case the reply letter from the Kettering centre. So no 404 messge like.

No you can't. It's a members-only forum.

Hy 30801.

If I logout and then open up the forum by a web search it allows me to see but not post until I log in again. S T R A N G E ?

can anybody else who is not a Guild member see the forums?

Ahhha when I logout the cookie [ I assume] allows me to still be able to see the forums but denys me access to posting on them. If I logout completely by going to member logout then I only see none member stuff and no forums at all.

There seems to be a halfway logout on there so I stand corrected but I still think posts shouldn't be copied out from here and placed on there.

Regards

I stand corrected but I still think posts shouldn't be copied out from here and placed on there.

I am a member but that is not the point - the copy was posted on an open forum RMWeb that allows all to read content - even non members. therefore posting a simple link to another forum which does block reading by non-members might as well be a link to a 404 page. And that is beside the point of linking off-site which many folk cautious of the internet will not follow. Not that I'm implying anything about that or any particular site.

But I do agree in principle with your concerns and it would be far more polite and good etiquette to announce along with the cut and paste that the owner of the original has granted permission. I guess a little like posting an image that has someone else's copyright. Most would happily grant permission to be quoted as long as they were not being quoted out of context or "edited" in such a way as to malign the original meaning. The person making such a cut and paste is obviously a member of the originating site so has the ability to use the sites messaging system to gain that approval. I also think in terms of politeness that the source forum should be also given as this enables those who are members to intervene/take part in that forums discussion (with the caveat in this case, only if they are a member).

Unfortunately, the internet is not known for such things as etiquette or indeed politeness.

Yes I agree Kenton here is an open forum while the Guild has a members only section which is where RM posts had been posted to thus denying them the option to respond to any comments made there. Much better to have left them alone.

I know this is a difficult subject as I use photos as a personal ref so I wouldn't want to lose that option but then neither do I want any of my posts being open to reposting else where, particularly if I can't see them.

Just for the record I'm talking principles here as I am a member of both these sites and as such can see both sets of posts.

Well I've said enough on this as it was only my intention to point this issue out incase admin etc had missed it.

Back to modelling which is much more fun than being a grumpy bum.

Regards.

What I don't understand is why everyone says this was a "fantastic show". I looked it up in advance (having seen I could get there and back by train at reasonably low cost) but there appeared to be very little in the way of modelling, was it 4 layouts!? And why should we pay, as GoG members to get in to spend our own money. The GoG site made it quite clear it was difficult to get to using public transport - no easy transport from the station to the exhibition and even a suggestion that driving around Kettering would take half an hour...

So please. why was it such a good show?

Some of us - perhaps it is only me - go to some "shows" firstly for the quality of the trade. The layouts are only the icing on the cake.

Also, from my perspective, the availability of public transport is an irrelevance - I would not be using it. But I do recognise others may partake of such facilities. The complaints here have been about the poor parking at Telford Kettering, in particular that some of us can travel many miles simply to end up doing a round trip of a strange, and frankly unwelcoming, town.

[Ed] Thanks Industrial - don't quite know where that small slip up came from or why on earth Telford was on my mind at the time ... or anytime.

G'day Kenton . . . . . again.

What you like eh I'm the complete flipside to what you say

ie

you Some of us - perhaps it is only me - go to some "shows" firstly for the quality of the trade. The layouts are only the icing on the cake.

Me Some of us - perhaps it is only me - go to some "shows" firstly for the quality of the layouts. The trade are only the icing on the cake. :D

I do like to see the models/items on a layout then I go hunt down any items that have taken my fancy.

It would be a sadder world if we were all the same "Vive La differance" :good:

Regards

It would be a sadder world if we were all the same "Vive La differance"   :good:

It would indeed but I was responding to hmrspaul's questioning me over my view that this was usually a fantastic "show". I can see that from a layout perspective it may not have much of an appeal which might disappoint him.

What I don't understand is why everyone says this was a "fantastic show". I looked it up in advance (having seen I could get there and back by train at reasonably low cost) but there appeared to be very little in the way of modelling, was it 4 layouts!? And why should we pay, as GoG members to get in to spend our own money. The GoG site made it quite clear it was difficult to get to using public transport - no easy transport from the station to the exhibition and even a suggestion that driving around Kettering would take half an hour...

There were only four layouts because it was a trade show, not an exhibition, and has always been promoted as such. If you want wall-to-wall 7mm layouts then wait for Telford or one of the other G0G exhibitions. In fact, you might even consider the four layouts and the test track a bonus. Nevertheless I still ran out of time on the day and went home without seeing the layouts, and to be honest when I go to Telford or Reading I rarely get more than 15 minutes to whizz around the layouts at the end of the day anyway.

It was a good trade show because there were a lot of traders there, a number of which have no web presence and/or don't advertise their wares in the Gazette or other magazines (I have no problem with that - it's their decision), so is a good opportunity to see them before either committing to buy or putting them on the ever-present 'to buy' list.

Why should we pay to get in? Because the cost of the hire of the hall. If entrance was free to members then I'm sure next year we'd see an exponential increase in subs, which means that those not attending the event by choice would be funding those of us who do. Primary school economics, surely?

Like Kenton, I go to many - make that most - shows for the trade and not the layouts. Railex in Aylesbury is one of the few which I go to to (mostly) see layouts. I have to admit there's a social element too, catching up with friends on various forums and manufacturers I've come to know over the years, and it also affords the opportunity to cajole them face to face about the possibility of future releases. That sometimes works too.

I came away with the grand total on one wagon kit and a freebie from Jim at Connoisseur - probably the least I've spent at a show for years, but on so many levels it was both a successful and enjoyable day for me.

Except the dratted parking.

Archived