Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium
On 28/01/2024 at 17:08, CF MRC said:

It really doesn’t matter what the difference is in the trackwork between 2mm FS and N gauge, it’s the overall ambience of a layout that matters.  However, when Keith Armes made the mainline crossovers from a scaled up prototype track plan, he remarked that they were the longest turnouts he had ever made. They could not work with N gauge standards. 

Tim

Why not, out of interest? I’ve just built an F20 crossover to N gauge standards. It’s not particularly good, but that’s entirely my skill and not the standards adopted! I don’t know how long the crossovers are on CF, but I don’t recall seeing anything particularly long?

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

As can be seen in this YR photo the bench along the platform has a lady sitting on it. 
IMG_9165.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

The bench was made a few weeks ago from modified Shire Scenes etches. I thought that the lady would best be served by this figure from Modelu

:IMG_0742.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

On arrival I was most impressed with the quality of the printing, especially the magazine. Unfortunately, once all the supports were removed I found that the lady had a rather extensive protuberance below her derrière. IMG_9282.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b
Trimming this away wrote off the magazine and, I’m afraid, the poor girl’s right arm. Even then she would not fit on the bench that I’d made with her coy Princess Diana posture, and would look more like a child perching on the edge of a wall. Serious surgery was therefore contemplated. Those of a squeamish disposition should look away now. 

She was electively fractured just below the knees and placed on a thick sticky tape operating table for distraction therapy. IMG_9283.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

As this was judged to be about the correct length, a small amount of light cured adhesive was introduced into the fracture site and polymerised.

IMG_9284.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

After checking her against the bench the void was made up with more light curling resin added with a pin in small increments. IMG_9285_c3KQAyjL6bqMu5vCcdEL8s.jpeg?wid

During the same operation, a new light cured prosthetic right arm was made.  After a rapid recovery and following a bit more minor plastic surgery the lady was sprayed dark brown as a base colour and then painted with suitable acrylic wash colours. She is now reading the Daily Sketch, marvelling at the Flying Scotsman’s non-stop run to Edinburgh. Her newspaper was made from cigarette paper and held in place with varnish.

IMG_9297.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

The end result is one step closer to reproducing the B&W York Road photograph and, unlike many figures on model railways, she is sitting properly on the bench with her feet daintily touching the ground. 
IMG_9301_muDQWAWiMv2bFErDQjXtkf.jpeg?wid
For all that I think I must be mad to have spent virtually a whole day working on this figure.

Tim

That's all very well but how are her teeth?????

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

They are exceedingly long. Take a look at the turnout that starts under Silver Fox. 
IMG_0458m.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=

Tim

That doesn’t look that long, I’d need to remind myself, but the crossover I built is about 800mm. Using the well known A4 unit of measurement that looks to be about 1.5 - 2 A4s? I’m genuinely curious why 2mm FS is thought to be a necessity on longer turnouts, doesn’t make sense to me. I realise Keith won’t be answering, so no drama if you don’t know why he’d have thought that. 

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Why not, out of interest? I’ve just built an F20 crossover to N gauge standards. It’s not particularly good, but that’s entirely my skill and not the standards adopted! I don’t know how long the crossovers are on CF, but I don’t recall seeing anything particularly long?

I had it explained to me by Laurie Adams, who has some really long points on his layout. It is down to the combination of flangeway gaps and wheel profiles in 2mm finescale, which ensure that the wheel tread is fully supported on the wing rail, allowing a long gap at the crossing nose without the wheel dropping into it.

I work mainly in EM and I have recently built some pointwork using 18mm gauge rather than 18.2mm and a narrower than usual flangeway of 0.8mm. That works in the same way and I get no wheel drop at all. The same applies to those working in 7mm scale, using gauges like 31.5mm rather than 32mm.

Of course those working in P4 and S7 have no such concerns.

I have no experience of N gauge so I cannot be certain but my guess would be that the rather wide treads on the wheels might give you that same support through the crossing at the expense of the appearance.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, of course most would argue that for literally any aspect of N versus 2FS, that it’ll work fine, but won’t look as good. Just wasn’t sure if I was missing something there. The long gap at the crossing nose does make sense. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That's all very well but how are her teeth?????

Vulcanite with porcelain gnashers. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Vulcanite with porcelain gnashers. 

No swaged gold plate?   She looks at least upper middle class! 

Jim 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tim you are quite honestly an artist. That is a brilliant repair and retaining as much of the original as possible keeps its character and retains its originality. 

Thank you so much for your work on getting these locos back running and putting smiles on faces for years to come.

Forever in your debt

Si

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/03/2024 at 15:47, CF MRC said:

I had a really fun time at Ally Pally with the YR diorama last weekend. It was great to have visitors being able to get really close to the model to actually see it! The interest in underground modelling is clearly developing and I spent some considerable time showing individuals historical images and also construction images using the iPad. These have now been ordered into logical albums, which will also simplify giving talks. 

Looking forward to seeing the diorama and hearing about CF at the forthcoming NMAG meeting Tim.

Rich

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/03/2024 at 23:24, njee20 said:

Yes, of course most would argue that for literally any aspect of N versus 2FS, that it’ll work fine, but won’t look as good. Just wasn’t sure if I was missing something there. The long gap at the crossing nose does make sense. 

You said the F20 you have built is not particularly good blaming your workmanship. There may be some wheel drop at the crossing and you are just blaming yourself.

Don

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

This did not have a large enough bore and so it was reamed out using an 06 endodontic file. These are the smallest used in root canal treatments and are made from nickel titanium alloy.

My partner had some endodontic work done last week. I don't think I'll show her this...

1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

The regulator on the LHS is next to be added and the pipe work can be seen here as a piece of 33swg phosphor bronze wire.

That I can relate to - 33swg PB wire is my preferred choice for pickups!

• Like 1

Not only are you an exemplary craftsman but you are also a mind reader! The mention of a special file for root canal work sent a shiver down my spine 😬

Edited by D-A-T
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now the fun and games can start. IMG_9567.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b
This is the beginning of the four doll gantry at the north end of Gasworks Tunnel on the  down lines. IMG_1914.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

There aren’t any decent close up photos of it, but these are the arms that will be modelled. At least two of them should probably work sometime, as they signal a conflicting route, but we’ll see.
IMG_2780.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

Maybe we should just put a steam generator in the tunnels, so they’re hidden, a bit…

Tim

• Like 19

The GNR was a very early adopter of yellow arms for distant signals, starting before the Great War, whereas elsewhere the conversion didn't take place until the mid/late-1920s. There was one fundamental difference in the painting scheme of these distant arms - the stripe was vertical (instead of being a chevron) and it was white on the front face of the arm rather than the black that later became standard. I realise that CF is effectively set in the very early 1930s, albeit with some "elasticity", but it would rather nice to see those distant arms painted in GNR style which could just about have lasted to the turn of the decade. Painting a vertical stripe would be easier too!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2