Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

8 hours ago, 2mmKiwi said:

Hi Tim,

This photo came up on a Facebook feed, I'm sure you have it or have seen it. Based on my exposure to Copenhagen fields I thought I recognised the Potato Market area on the extreme left.

Is that correct?

SteveM

NZ

E930FAD1-1C32-44FB-8C6F-14F815CC863C.jpeg

Well, Copenhagen Fields has made a promising start, but plenty still to build it seems. Lucky we have Easitrac now.

Chris

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

Its an astonishing display of railway infrastructure - just amazing how much is happening in this photo. What we wouldn't give to go back and look over the wall or gaze down from the bridge.

Its a great credit to the CF team that a person can identify the real items in photos from their exposure to the model.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's an interesting approach to the front step Tim.  They're indeed tricky things on all the NER locos with them.

Here's the very similar step on the surviving Q7:

20180817_151730.jpg.8663e6746ddb32ceaff02f9eefe4aa46.jpg

20180817_151736.jpg.a7118fa0cc6bdc93f1f61728a6e91f43.jpg

Regards,

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that it's shown as chequerplate from new. I'm also intrigued by the lack of lifting holes in the frame extensions for all the bigger NER locos as built.

The latter, and the need to add them for my BR condition B16, was the first thing I noted on my set of instructions. Guess what I realised I'd forgotten when giving the completed model the once over ...

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting that, I remember it being filmed. At the end I said it was 20 years from starting so that makes it 2004ish. That would also tally with the incomplete trackwork in the Belle Isle trough. All a bit younger then too!

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Over the last couple of days I’ve been making some of the between-the-frames parts for the Raven 4-6-2 class. These engines were fitted with steam reverse when new and a light-coloured plate was visible on the drivers’ (RH) side: this was the cover for a travel-limiting lever. On both sides, the balance weight on the weigh shaft was visible just in front of the splashers in full forward gear. All of this work will scarcely be visible, but might catch the eye when painted. 

The balance weights moving up and down as the driver operates the steam reverser will definitely catch the eye...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This looks very good, Tim.

If the chunkiness was an issue, given that the functional part of the wheel is brass, I'm wondering if it would be possible to thin the front of the tyres and 3D print a replacement insert with shallower spoke detail and balance weights?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It could well be done that way, Nick, but I’m not sure how the spoke moulding is keyed into (or not) the metal rim. One could then use scale coupling rods and pins. The plastic that Sonic use is very ‘grippy’ -if you know what I mean- and quite tough. 

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It will be a separate layout Kevin, as the logistics of joining them up is not trivial. It will initially just have the platform modelled with a train coming into the station and then returning north. There is an incident causing a blockage at KX! The next stage will have the tunnels modelled and crossover to the north of the station. We have all the drawings for this from LT.  I have a cunning plan for making the tubes…

Tim

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1