Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

The tunnels will have cutaways to show the lines / trains. In the next stage this will include the northern approaches to YR station with the track shown in red in this image. (Edit: not the red lines on the floor!) 
33A49B7D_C3D8_4524_AC20_91810304E141.jpe

The track height is actually about 15’ deeper than it should be, as we are constrained by the depth of our baseboards. Foolishly, when we were planning the layout 40 years ago we hadn’t thought that York Road tube would be modelled…

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The tunnels will have cutaways to show the lines / trains. In the next stage this will include the northern approaches to YR station with the track shown in red in this image. 
33A49B7D_C3D8_4524_AC20_91810304E141.jpe

The track height is actually about 15’ deeper than it should be, as we are constrained by the depth of our baseboards. Foolishly, when we were planning the layout 40 years ago we hadn’t thought that York Road tube would be modelled…

Tim

Won’t the Exhibition/Hall Managers have something to say about you digging up their hall floor to get your deep underground lines in??!! 🤣

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, D-A-T said:

Won’t the Exhibition/Hall Managers have something to say about you digging up their hall floor to get your deep underground lines in??!! 🤣

I hadn’t noted the red lines on the floor and also the out of date nature of that photo; the whole of the south end has undergone a lot of work since then.  

Re: Andy’s question, the last baseboard will be the one that takes the tube in front of the cemetery building under Belle Isle & the NLR.

Re: Nick’s complex tube tunnels and for illustrative purposes, (please do not copy and publish elsewhere) here are the plans showing the crossover at the north of YR. There was a signal cabin at the north end of the northbound platform, but this would be out of sight. I am quite tempted to flip it to the visible platform. 

IMG_0696.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

IMG_0695.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

IMG_0697.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

Quite a challenge and all this will take a while to complete. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

The "Instruments of Persuasion" are wielded in the most benign way possible, I presume?

David

But of course David! A sharp tap with a Mallet is sometimes useful to overcome stiction.  

Tim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating post for all of us who never get to see layouts being assembled prior to shows etc, particularly one as complex as this.

To me it's amazing that over the years the various boards that make up CF haven't warped or shifted but still connect so cleanly, given that some are quite a bit older than others.

I still haven't seen CF 'in the flesh' - I really must make that my goal for next year...

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 25/10/2023 at 07:33, Kylestrome said:

The "Instruments of Persuasion" are wielded in the most benign way possible, I presume?

David

IMG_5793.jpeg.0f2aa251faead5414e500fc8eaf018de.jpegIMG_5794.jpeg.3adb1a6b6f9a626bd3765a9ca0ce0ea6.jpeg

One of the instruments of persuasion which was deployed at the 2mmDJ expo in Derby 2022.  Attracted quite the crowd who marvelled at the skilful precision of the application.

Edited by Sithlord75
adjusting photo sizes
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, Grafarman said:

To me it's amazing that over the years the various boards that make up CF haven't warped or shifted but still connect so cleanly, given that some are quite a bit older than others.

I still haven't seen CF 'in the flesh' - I really must make that my goal for next year...

David

David, our baseboards and joiners are ‘over engineered’. The main baseboard structures are based on a box beam type construction, developed by Mike Randall, using high quality thin birch ply. This has stood the test of time (40 years in 2024). 

Our upcoming exhibitions are:
Warley November 25-26th

Railex Buxton 6-7th July 2024

Ally Pally March 2025

Manchester December 2025

York Easter 2026

Swansea September 2026

If you want to see the layout up close then MRC Open Days sometimes feature it. Perhaps we should do a special 40th birthday do at Keen House in the Autumn of 2024. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

17 hours ago, CF MRC said:

But of course David! A sharp tap with a Mallet is sometimes useful to overcome stiction.  

Tim

Engineering is 90% knowing which hammer to use and 10% knowing where to hit it. Tim will have had plenty practice removing impacted teeth with a bone chisel and mallet! 😃

Jim 

Edited by Caley Jim
correcting auto correct!
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Engineering is 90% knowing which hammer to use and 10% knowing where to hit it. Tim will have had plenty practice removing impacted teeth with a bone chisel and mallet! 😃

Jim 

You forgot knowing how hard to hit it.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Isn't that implied by the size of the hammer?

Jim

Not always.  There are places that a toffee hammer will reach that a sledge hammer won't.  A good wallop with a toffee hammer could get the same result as a gentle tap with a sledge hammer.

Adrian

• Agree 1

Someone on YT has uploaded the TV program "A Line Side Look at Model Railways and Tim is interviewed by the late Bob Symes for the layout Chiltern Green. Tim is or was one of those gentleman modellers for he's wearing a tie. I've seen the Chiltern Green layout at the South Devon Railway center although it was not running at the time being housed in a Mk1 coach. But that was twenty three years ago now.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

That film was made around 1982. CG & LH had a relatively short, but busy exhibition life. I have no idea where it is now, it was sold by the South Devon Railway Centre two or three years ago. 

CF will be 40 years old next year, so maybe we should run something at Keen House for the anniversary in the autumn. 

York Road is currently taking 110% of my spare time. 
IMG_8780.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

Warley is just 19 days away…

Tim

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well actually David we might. As there is an ‘incident’ at KX the westbound trains will be stopping at YR and reversing. There might then be a queue for the lifts…

I have just finished modelling the lift lobby. The signalman in the box will be very busy. 

Tim 

• Round of applause 1

17 hours ago, Klaus ojo said:

Thanks for that hint.

I did enjoy it very much.

(For me without British background this is all quite new)

for easier access:

beginning at 8:45 

Tim, how many people in this still from the program are in the MRC of London today and working on and operating CF.