Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

In the spirit of the OP, what happens if someone decides to convert all their Hornby Dublo to P4? It sort of defeats the second half of the brand name...

In a Model Railway Constructor published in either 1967/68 (I think) there was a layout featured using, the then new, P4 standards. One of the locos was a Hornby Dublo 8F, otherwise unaltered if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

Guest Natalie Graham

Always ask the exhibition manager Can you plug a kettle in along with the layout. That usually ensures a comment ot two.

To which you then respond, 'No? It's lucky I thought to bring my Coleman stove then. I'll just pop out and get some petrol for it from the car. I don't suppose you've got a plastic cup I could borrow, have you?'

• RMweb Gold

Shall I allow you a 'person-shaped' footprint on the floor plan, then, to stand with your Amazonian rucksack, perhaps having a little twirl from time to time?... :P

As long as I've got room to move around wearing a rucksack....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

refusing people at the door saying the show is invitation only, but allowing people in if they are able to answer selected questions correctly? (up to others to post what the questions may be!)

Something along the line of:

Have you had a shower this morning?

• Like 7

Guest Max Stafford

I'll admit to having skimmed through the posts so apologies if anybody's suggested this already, but what about keeping a 'pedant's bingo' card, with all the old chestnuts; 'That didn't run there', 'That's the wrong shade of....', 'But the track is too narrow anyway...' and all your favourites from time immemorial.

Go on. You know you want to!

Dave.

• Like 9

order a pint of lager at the bar (only at the larger shows of course), the real ale crowd will have you lynched in seconds

I saw that at Stafford show one year (the agricultural one not the railway one) where a bloke walked into the real ale tent and asked for a pint of lager, certainly a lively 5 minutes.

Walking round York with a beer glass in your hand asking traders what odds they are giving on horses in the next race was quite good fun a few years ago.

• Like 2

Not quite the same thing but I've thought about a cliche bingo card - Dapol JCB, Coopercraft AEC, Airfix railway workmen, bus on bridge etc.

Had a game of cliche bingo at the last show we visited, last to spot them got a round in! Off the top of my head it included: GWR branch terminus; O gauge 'layout' on a 6'x2' baseboard; beautifully detailed loco hauling out of the box stock; rakes of coaches with the same numbers; etc.

Edited by 37255

When exhibiting my own layouts, I usually derive much fun from watching innocent bystanders read all the historical guff and rhubarb that I've written on the display boards, assuring everyone that 'there was a railway in this location' and this layout is a 'faithful representation of what existed'...etc. etc. - you get the drift, and then wait for someone to tell me, in all solemnity, that they remember catching the train from there or some such. Nowhere do I write that it's all a big fiction...!

I remember Brian Clarke, of Saltford Models fame, showing me a book that he once wrote about a fictional branch line in a fictional part of the country. Apparently some took the book seriously and were rather peeved when they found out the railway never actually existed.

Perhaps you have more info on said book CK?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

refusing people at the door saying the show is invitation only, but allowing people in if they are able to answer selected questions correctly? (up to others to post what the questions may be!)

African or European?

You have to make sure the questions are complete & not open to sub questions.

Kevin Martin

I'm on a day trip to Glasgow Ex in the next couple of days - maybe wearing a tee-shirt exclaiming "The Scots are rubbish at rugby!" wouldn't be a good idea........... :triniti:

Cheers,

Mick

That would do about as much for your hard man credentials as saying: "The English rugby team kick bottom".

• RMweb Gold

A couple or geezers on the door with long black overcoats and bow ties asking "where's your tie, son?". "Your name's not on the list, sushine. Jog on".

No problem. I'd just tell them that I'd be reporting the matter to Andy Y and the Mods. Enough to scare the most belligerent of doormen...

• Like 2