Amiens Street Terminus - Irish City Terminus - OO in the Loft

McC

• RMweb Gold

Some progress

The per-way gang have had their running shed resurfaced

attachment.php?attachmentid=10526&d=1386

And an overview of the yard,

Needs finishing and some sanding still.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10587&d=1386attachment.php?attachmentid=10588&d=1386attachment.php?attachmentid=10589&d=1386

For those unfamiliar, I'm aiming loosely for the feel of the old LNWR / North Wall yards in Dublin, as seen here

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20N/North%20Wall/IrishRailwayStations.html#NorthWall_20100820_008_CC_JA.jpg

When you get a chance..... you have coloured the brickwork on the water tower to a very high standard, have you considered picking out some of the brick work on the wall as well? I know it is in place making it harder, but some black, dark grey, light grey and gluing on a little green stuff (I'd recommend a duller colour (a burnt grass fine foam?) until you have coloured up the main station. However your pictures show you are going in the right direction and putting in the details that will in the long wrong make a lovely finished layout. Am enjoying That concrete slab will look great with weeds etc on the edges.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jaz :) Yep, for now the wall is just painted a base coat. I plan to use some filler to close the little gaps where the wall pieces meet, then repaint, then pick out bricks, weather and grime up the whole thing, and plant a profusion of weeds, shrubs and small trees :)

The tower is modelled on this beautiful LNWR example http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20N/North%20Wall/IrishRailwayStations.html#NorthWall_20090615_028_CC_JA.jpg

And another view, showing the grimy wall and general weediness

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20N/North%20Wall/IrishRailwayStations.html#NorthWall_20101106_002_CC_JA.jpg

My layout is freelance, but drawing inspiration from notable local landmarks like this :)

• RMweb Gold

It's the 'plunger' arm.

There would have been a chain, or perhaps rope attached to it .When pulled down, the plunger in the tower would open and the flow of water would... well, flow! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Making slow progress. Have been wiring cobalt motors, hooking up the Lenz for computer and touchcab control and playing with lighting!

Having gone through a few iterations, this area is starting to shape up as a fuel point and mess for the drivers….

2014-01-30-20.06.49-1024x768.jpeg 2014-01-30-20.06.53-1024x768.jpeg 2014-01-30-20.06.57-1024x768.jpeg 2014-01-30-20.07.07-1024x768.jpeg 2014-01-30-20.07.15-1024x768.jpeg

The colouring is coming along nicely with the ballasting having a nice tone. And the resin buildings and the diesel refuelling area you have recoloured are fitting in nicely. Glad you are getting all the point work done..I leave that to Kal, endless he needs me to get in a tight spot under the table. Slowly but surely. Looking nice.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jaz! As you well know, a large layout is never done, and sometimes feels a daunting task! In my head I've split this layout into several 'mini layouts' joined by the overall mainline! It's safer for my sanity if I think of it as the Terminus, Yards, Fueling Point, Blackrock road Depot, Blackrock road Station (preserved), Carrigmore Viaduct, Irish Cement Works and an as yet unnamed through station!

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow, 2 years since a post!! :(

The rock faces are a mix from Rubber Rocks, a US corp, with an initial filler of polystyrene covered with Hanging Basket Liner. Lots to do, but progress feels nice!

attachment.php?attachmentid=22650&d=1454attachment.php?attachmentid=22651&d=1454attachment.php?attachmentid=22652&d=1454attachment.php?attachmentid=22653&d=1454

Archived