Tetleys Mills 3

tetleys

An interesting conclusion, Dave: I am curious as to why you came to this position. It sounds like bitter experience.

Either way, I'd like to hear a little more, as I'm about to commit to a lift out section on my own layout, and would like to know what pitfalls have coloured your view.

Regards

Scott

Scott,

I'm a firm follower of K.I.S.S. (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID .)

If you can build to Gordon S's high standards I'm sure a lift out section will work and there may not be an alternative in your case but keep the number of tracks to a minimum and try and avoid curves across the lifting section.Even on exhibition layouts where baseboard joints are a necessity there's always likely to be a slight disparity in rail height and alignment and therefore an increased likelyhood of those annoying derailments we all love so much. It's purely a personal opinion only but I will avoid as much as I am able anything that will disrupt reliable running, I'll be crossing any baseboard joints with a full length of track rather than risk the miniscule 'jump' of rolling stock but I don't profess to be an engineer and I'm certainly not nearly as clever as others on RMWeb so I need to take the line of least resistance.

Good luck with your project.

Dave

I'm extremely flattered Dave, by your comment, but would agree with you. Wood can be quite unstable in areas of changing temperature and humidity, so I would follow the KISS principle as well.

If you have to do it, then I would recommend you make the frame out of metal angle or another similar material which is more stable than timber. There is little to play with in alignment terms, so anything that moves a fraction of a mil out, either horizontal or vertical may lead to problems.

Gents - thank you both for your advice. The section is 850mm across a doorway, but yes, will be straight, and I'll now investigate incorporating metal into the construction; using continuous track and cutting after the fact is a given.

What can I really say to either of you than "keep up the brilliant work"!!!!

Regards

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott,

Just to confirm what Dave and Gordon have said, i have found by bitter experience that lifting or detachable sections constructed only of wood will eventually cause problems, however good the craftsmanship in the first place. Apart from possible slight warping of the wood, the act of constantly lifting and replacing the section has always when i have done it eventually caused misalignment. Not much, but then it doesn't take much to get things to fall off.

• RMweb Gold

I'm extremely flattered Dave, by your comment, but would agree with you. Wood can be quite unstable in areas of changing temperature and humidity, so I would follow the KISS principle as well.

If you have to do it, then I would recommend you make the frame out of metal angle or another similar material which is more stable than timber. There is little to play with in alignment terms, so anything that moves a fraction of a mil out, either horizontal or vertical may lead to problems.

Very helpful thank you Gordon as I too will have a doorway to cross - an exterior one at that (although it is heavily insulated but of course it is still a door going into a frame.

Gents - thank you both for your advice. The section is 850mm across a doorway, but yes, will be straight, and I'll now investigate incorporating metal into the construction; using continuous track and cutting after the fact is a given.

What can I really say to either of you than "keep up the brilliant work"!!!!

Regards

Scott

Scott,

I'm sure Gilbert will excuse my stealing his thunder but faced with an opening door he had it reversed so that now opens outwards and access is made by simply ducking under his baseboard, with 18 tracks storage all loaded with lovely locos and stock he also followed the KISS route.

Dave

It's bucketing down here today so are we going to see some more boards? No woodworm this time I hope!

I found more evidence of woodworm when I dismantled the original layout so never say never but not a single stick of wood has been used from the old set up, I just hope the little blighters haven't taken up residence in my buildings!

As for the weather, I managed a full 9 hours bricklaying yesterday and the solar panel ensured a good long hot soak in the bath but we are promised similar weather to yourself,however I have my mate Tony visiting on a working holiday so the baseboards will be on hold for a week but there again we have to do something to stave off boredom so it depends on the severity of the rain.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure Gilbert will excuse my stealing his thunder but faced with an opening door he had it reversed so that now opens outwards and access is made by simply ducking under his baseboard, with 18 tracks storage all loaded with lovely locos and stock he also followed the KISS route.

Dave

Very sound advice Dave - the door which will cause my problems also opens outwards but I'm none too sure if my back will be up to bending below my high level lines, let alone the hoped for lower levels.

The first thing I had done when building Wencombe was to reverse the door, The door to the last layout (in a different room) was not reversed and was therefore always open. No problem normally but we did have friends who would bring their dog, who liked exploring.

Scott,

Dave

Well the good news is, I got that part right! As part of the specs for my new railway room, I had the builders hang the door swinging outwards (we had to hide it from council on the plans tho' - apparently it can be an issue with approvals, down here).

In theory, I could duck under to get in... for now. But I wonder how I'll go in 20 years time when I'm 65. I will give all your sage advice some long thought.

I also arranged four double power points around the room, and two twin flouro lights in place of incandescents to keep things nice and bright. Mrs Jukebox drew the line at not having any windows, however... :O

Thread hijacked enough, I fear: Back to Tetley's, everyone!

Hi there folks,

Saturday evening and my guests are watching some talent show on TV and since I 've just had to buy another angle grinder I've remained on line.

First, Jukebox.

Tell your building Inspector that your railway room is soon to be converted into a cloakroom/ WC and then you'll have to fit the door to open outwards but then you might also need to open your door casing out from 2'6" to 2'9".

Westerner,

You might like to consider following my lead. I've spent the last two years in all weathers building our new house which is most certainly a DOG and smoke free zone, I tried but couldn't extend this exclusion zone to include grandkids but I have fitted a five lever Chubb lock. As for your 41" board height, what would I give for another 5"...............! I think that is a sensible height which I cannot consider with my current layout, when I get even older I might have to buy one of those trolleys mechanics use to slide beneath cars and while I'm on the Machinemart web site I'll include an engine hoist to get me off the trolley into a vertical posture. When younger we took the mickey out old Wrinklies and now having joined them it's no longer that funny.

• 1 month later...

Since my last posting and despite the weather I have finally finished the 25m boundary wall.

post-372-0-68921700-1339692962_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-71918500-1339693016_thumb.jpg

A real labour of love, not helped by the fact I made the wrong choice of buff bricks (hidden on the other side) to match the existing railway / garden room, very thirsty and very rustic which made laying at least twice as difficult. However it is now finished as is a 40sq m patio in time for the Bar B Que season, unfortunately Nina Ridge and the rest of those lovely 'BBC weather girls' have yet to deliver the goods, sunshine that is.

Mrs Shakespeare has since confiscated my bricky's trowel and 'insisted' I get off my a---e and get some railway baseboards built.

post-372-0-03186900-1339693348_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Very nice, Dave. The railway room looks superb, but I guess you'd be even more proud of the wonderful house you've built. Probably for the same price as a lock-up garage in London!

I look forward to seeing the layout grow out of those boards!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

You're a clever...and

Mrs Shakespeare has since confiscated my bricky's trowel and 'insisted' I get off my a---e and get some railway baseboards built.

a lucky man!

Since my last posting and despite the weather I have finally finished the 25m boundary wall.

post-372-0-68921700-1339692962_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-71918500-1339693016_thumb.jpg

A real labour of love, not helped by the fact I made the wrong choice of buff bricks (hidden on the other side) to match the existing railway / garden room, very thirsty and very rustic which made laying at least twice as difficult. However it is now finished as is a 40sq m patio in time for the Bar B Que season, unfortunately Nina Ridge and the rest of those lovely 'BBC weather girls' have yet to deliver the goods, sunshine that is.

post-372-0-24439600-1339693608_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-97293500-1339693661_thumb.jpg

The railway room is now looking more like The Natural History Museum with a fossilised skeleton from some prehistoric creature. I am now only four sections short of completeing the first phase of the baseboards but I've now run out of suitable timber. I'll order some more when I return from a spot of bricklaying down at No 2 son's place in Cambridgeshire although by then I may be distracted by a couple of large garden sheds that need building. (It's a conspiracy).

It's strange how plans always work on paper but somehow the odd few inches disappear in reality, I may have to compromise my original minimum radius but since I have mainly ready to run stock I'm sure it will be OK but I certainly will not have train set curves on the scenic sections.

Since I've run out of timber and as stated, Mrs. S. won't let me do any building work until I've been to Cambridgeshire (to do some building work!) I'm forced to VISIT THE DARK SIDE tomorrow when I shall call on Gilbert / Great Northern's DCC layout and be inspired by his fantastic and very photogenic bookcases. When I've taken in his bookcases I might also steal a look at his Peterborough North train set, he's bound to have a new loco or two to demonstrate and hopefully some more of Gravy Trains brilliant buildings. Oh, how I suffer for my hobby!

A lovely house and the wall is a masterpiece you could start a business building walls and layouts ,I have decided to rip up part of my layout and make it more to prototype but this will have take place inbetween RNLI work .

Those boards look pretty special Mr S. Keep thinking about it, but one day I will get up off my backside and venture beyond Watford Gap to admire your new palace....

It all looks very good....

Gordon,

I recall you once told me you now hated air travel after spending your working life jet setting but surely you still have a full UK Passpor. Even my namby. pampby, wishy,washy Hampshire based brother made it up to see us last weekend though he did set off at 05.00hrs to slip through the hoards of marauding tribesmen and London based 4 x4's on the M25.

A lovely house and the wall is a masterpiece you could start a business building walls and layouts ,I have decided to rip up part of my layout and make it more to prototype but this will have take place inbetween RNLI work .

Imsforever,

You certainly know how to upset a bloke!

What's all this silly talk about starting a business? Believe me, whilst I do all this work I certainly wouldn't torture myself repeating it (except building with my son since he's helped us a lot) not even for money. I get my heating allowance and Mrs S. grows a few spuds and collects the odd road kill so we're warm and not starving so paid work is thankfully but a memory.

Keep up the RNLI work a British institution we're all proud of.

Grumpy Old Man of Ancaster

Sorry about that but some people I know said to me when I retired ,are you going to get a part time job?I wont repeat my answer,your right about roadkill,plenty of pheasents round here .Did you find that the quality of timber is not so good now? Look forward to seeing progress.

Archived