Tetleys Mills 3

tetleys

imsforever,

I'm not sure about the quality of timber these days but Policemen are looking younger and women are looking fatter especially from behind, or am I just getting old?

I've been over to see Gilbert's Peterborough North and Yes, he did have another couple of lovely locos to demonstrate and Yes, he did have another couple of lovely new structures made by Gravy Train they really are the Rolls Royce of railway models.

Sadly having spent the afternoon being 'counselled' by Gilbert he's convinced me that starting with a new layout in a new house should be the time for me to 'Come Out'.

OK. I can't hide it any more,I've spent too long in the company of a like minded adult.

I'm going to go DCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I know I'll probably be shunned by polite society and my sons will dis-inherit me (does that mean they won't accept money from my estate?)but I've always known that it was the future but I quaked at the likely costs. Now I've decided to sell on some of my older locos, some of which were not required for the new layout and bite the bullet, I've already bought Mrs S. a new washing machine and one of those ceiling mounted clothes driers so she can take in washing to pay for the DCC kit.

Oscar Wild of Ancaster

• RMweb Premium

I was a bit worried that you might have second thoughts on the way home, but I suppose you can't now having made such a public announcement. There's going to be a big shortage of heating units though - Satan just ordered about a million. By the way, what kind of roadkill was in that bacon butty I ate last time I visited?

Folks,

First Gordon S.

Since Gilbert adopted a reliable DCC I've been highly impressed especially when I later 'heard' Vine Street 'O' gauge exhibition layout but the thought of spending all that money on chipping up my loco fleet was daunting. However,Gilbert and I have discussed which locos are less easy to chip and I've decided to cut my losses and sell off those plus other locos less suitable for the new layout. For instance I will replace my B1's, struggle on with the vital WD's and replace other locos with modern alternatives or just get rid, I don't think I'll need any specific shunting locos, any shunting on the reduced station areas can be undertaken by the train loco.

As for Hell freezing over. Tomorrow I'm going to Sawston next to the M11 via the worst road in the country (thanks to idiot truck drivers hogging the outside lane) the A14 if that road isn't Hell on Earth I don't know what is, I'll let you know if I find black ice.

Gilbert,

I don't think I'll have second thoughts even joining every section of track to a couple of bus wires has to be easier than conventional wiring and I hope DCC might just get my modern Bachmann and Hornby (non Black beetle equipped) DMU's to run slowly.

As for the road kill, it might have been a local planning officer, he did say he wasn't dead when I found him but you know what lying b-------s they are.

Tim,

Not so much onwards and upwards, more onwards and downwards even DCC wiring needs me to lay horizontal on my back (sober for once) to place it.

Now I've decided on DCC I'm unlikely to change my mind and if I get stuck there's Digitrains at Digby is almost within walking distance.

"LAWDI BE, I A'AM A BELIEVER!"

I took the plunge and decided to "chip" my fleet. I hoped by doing it at once that I'd get a good discount, (I had 60 chips to buy), but this was not so. In the event, shopping around helped me find some extremely well discounted chips that probably couldn't have been discounted further anyway.

The last Tetleys Mills layout was fantastic btw and I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Cheers.

Sean.

Guest Tom F

Great to hear another DCC convert Tetleys!

To be honest I didn't have much choice with Gilbert and Tim both on my backs! :punish:

In all seriousness, one of the best choices I made, and opened up the possibilities of what I could do on my layout!

I've run out of house and baseboard building materials so I've been mooching round the new railway room and using tramels (is that how you spell it?) anyway marked lengths of wood scewed to various parts of sub-baseboard to work out actual track routes compared to paper plans. It's not going to be easy but with my now reduced radius standard of 30" rather than 36" on the hidden sections plus my lump hammer I WILL get it all in, thankfully the route of my 13' reverse curve viaduct is not in doubt. I'm not an advocate of cramming maximum track into a given space and it's only in the off scenic areas where it resembles tangled string but that's the price I have to pay for wanting maximum visible running scenes.

I've noticed the sun has come out and it's over the yard arm so I'll collect a pint of Home Brew and resume my railway room mooching, usually works.

Confused of Ancaster

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

As for Hell freezing over. Tomorrow I'm going to Sawston next to the M11 via the worst road in the country (thanks to idiot truck drivers hogging the outside lane) the A14 if that road isn't Hell on Earth I don't know what is, I'll let you know if I find black ice.

My God! Last time I was over from the 'States I was driven up that road at the tail end of the rush hour in driving rain. I was expecting death and destruction at any moment - surely the most dangerous road on two continents right now....

So glad to hear of your progress - take your time and get it right.

All the best, Pete.

My God! Last time I was over from the 'States I was driven up that road at the tail end of the rush hour in driving rain. I was expecting death and destruction at any moment - surely the most dangerous road on two continents right now....

So glad to hear of your progress - take your time and get it right.

All the best, Pete.

I had a similar near miss last Friday returning from my son's place in Cambridgeshire.Our Government spend thousands on experimental schemes to stop trucks overtaking on two lane dual carriageways and motorways then tens of thousands in 'consultancy' research, etc.etc and their findings are "inconclusive".instead of a £5 phone call to Germany. The German police will confirm that stopping trucks overtaking virtually prevents shunt accidents caused by the dominoe affect of suddenly reducing traffic flow from 70mph down to 56.5 mph as one truck overtakes a slow truck that's only doing 56 mph. That is the problem with the A14.

I did however live to tell the tale and I'll be posting some more images of my latest baseboards today or tomorrow.

Grumpy Old Man of Ancaster

The big problem with the A14 is it should have been a motorway right from the start..

Cheers

Mark Aka Idiot trucker! lol

Mark,

That option is too obvious.

The roundabouts on the A1 from Stamford up to Blyth at the bottom of The Donny By pass have recently been converted to fly overs but did the powers that be make allowance for future growth to three lanes?

Don't be silly. It wouldn't have taken too much more cash to kake the bridge spans wider but no. Go to Peterborough or any other new town however and all the single carriageway roads have an empty plot of land next to them which later is occupied by a second carriageway. Apparently the A46 has been dualled all the way from Leicester to Lincoln where it is joined by several additional roads plus City traffic but, and I quote from a previous transport Guru, "there is insufficient traffic to justify dual carriageways.

The mind boggles so back to train sets.

Traffic jammed of Ancaster.

I dont like to drive on these roads now because of the lorries overtaking went on the M25 this week and then the A12 dont want to do that again in the near future motorbikes undertaking plus commuters trying to be a F1 driver,but enough of that .The drive was worth it went over Walton on the Naze life boat until we had to get off because they were called out to rescue a sea angler who had lodged a hook(big) behind his ear,ouch.good day with fellow education volenteers and lovely fish and chips.Hows the dcc chipping going and have you finnished the base boards?

post-372-0-22234400-1341079184_thumb.jpg

I'm awaiting a load more building materials which, I hope will see the new house project completed so in the meantime I've resumed work on the baseboards.

I have gradually worked my way round the room until I reached the most complex element which is the board that supports the return loop at the head of the main station, the soft option would be to make a simple square board but that would have left wasted space on the corners and also encroached on limited access into the already narrow control area. I decided that since this board is the most prominent feature as one enters the railway room I'd try and add a bit of 'bling', So, a curved board is what I decided on but they are not easy to make.

Fortunately I have made a collection of wood working tools, none of which was expensive but all invaluable. My table saw enabled me to cross cut lots of 90 degree shallow cuts in the two side rails but wood does not like to bend so I built a 3" x 1" backed by 9mm birch ply framework used my jig saw to cut a 40" radius curved 9mm baseboard. Using my De Walte battery drill / driver I screwed and glued the edge rails on to the cross rails meanwhile clamping it as I progressed. Additional fixing was added progresively using my inexpensive brad air nail gun powered from my 7 cu ft compressor that also powers my modelling air brush.

The end result is a nice half moon shaped board supported by a bit more 'bling'. Hard wood ash stair spindels at over £8 a shot, no I'm not 'Flash as a rat with a gold tooth' I tried but couldn't sell the spare spindels on EBay so I re-cycled them for the railway.

post-372-0-40501600-1341081161_thumb.jpg

this was the image I tried to add to the previous post.

post-372-0-67803000-1341081276_thumb.jpg

This board will, like all the boards carry two seperate double tracks that are at heights of 175mm appart so NO, THEY WILL NOT BE CONNECTED. I don't see the point in over-complicating the operations but I shall be able to run twice as many trains as a conventional layout.

You will note the funny 'dog leg' baseboard with accuarate angled cuts made on my chop saw but since I originally drew my plans I have decided to tighten up the minimum radii and hopefully increase the available free floor space for seating and modelling. It would have been easy to occupy the whole of the room for railway but that would have wasted a really nice relaxation facility.

It might seem a bit strange that I should add seperate posts during one evening but I think too much narrative in one lengthy post can be a bit tedious to work through so here's a few more snippets from me.post-372-0-39367200-1341082165_thumb.jpg

This image shows the penultimate baseboard that will be a rural setting with the two routes probably crossing by a bridge that will offer another photgraphic opportunity, as with the original Tetleys Mills it is my intention to concentrate on this area of modelling rather than pure operation, whilst some are really knowledgeable and therefore interested in this aspect of the hobby and my good friend Great Northern goes a long way in providing this service. I always enjoy my visits to Peterborough North because Gilbert's attention to accuarate train formations and operation are fascinating but since my own train set is pure fiction I think generic scenic cameos will be it's attraction.. Gilbert is responsible for me 'coming out' and going DCC but his efforts to cajole me into building Leeds Cental have fallen on very stoney ground.

I have now completed the final baseboard but have yet to photograph the results so I'll update those members who are still awake on another day.

We will cheer the differences between Peterborough, Tetlleys Mills and Eastwood (just as examples) - I'm a great believer in the old cliches of "Stick with what you know" combined with "KISS" in these instances....

Best, Pete.

So it's going to be a small layout then?

Looking very good progress.

Pete

Pete,

I was hoping nobody would notice but yes, it is a bit small, believe me I'm not to blame it was local planning restrictions because 'That nice Dave Shakespeare' didn't object to a neighbour building close to our garden boundary or I wouldn't be struggling with reduced radii not to mention a mincey little garage which is the 'footprint' for the railway room. I've spotted a nice car to replace Mrs Shakespeare's 11 year old Skoda Fabia but it won't fit in the garage in front of the heating tanks and other plant, I just need about another foot in every direction but maybe when I build the next house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

The penny has just dropped...DOH!!

I thought the photos of the house looked strangely familiar, the wife and I walk past most Sundays with the dog!

As I only live on Mercia drive, if you need a hand with anything just give me a shout.

Yes I also use DCC, I can see you having a trip to Digitrains and having a play!

Cheers

Ian

Hi Dave,

The penny has just dropped...DOH!!

I thought the photos of the house looked strangely familiar, the wife and I walk past most Sundays with the dog!

As I only live on Mercia drive, if you need a hand with anything just give me a shout.

Yes I also use DCC, I can see you having a trip to Digitrains and having a play!

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

Small world, Mercia Drive, that's the posh end of the village I think, no wonder you and your good lady need the protection of a dog when venturing into our rough neighbourhood, some of the occupants of the Old People's bungalows can be fearsome.

Feel free to drop in and introduce yourself (minus the dog please, I don't mind DCC or even Great Western modellers but dogs are a step too far!).

It's funny you should offer your assistance, and being knowledgeable about DCC I've got 9500 drive bricks arriving any day now!!!!!!!

Call by

Dave

Archived