Tetleys Mills 3

tetleys

• RMweb Gold

I think it's an opportune time to send the old girl off with some snaps from just under 3 years ago.

As a recent returnee to UK modelling, I recall this layout from my first days on RMWeb, and now I know why it had disappeared from contemporary view.

Andy Y's pics show a model that makes the word "masterpiece" seem a bit like understatement. I hope the new version proves as pleasing to build as its predecessor has been to behold.

Ah found it!

It should be easy to understand this web site, after all I can almost fill in a self assessment Inland Revenue Tax form, (Please note I said "Almost")

post-372-0-71839400-1329990165_thumb.jpg

The new railway room is 22' 6" by 17' 6" so the grid is approximate, it is a room above the garage and unfortunaterly is at least a foot too narrow but I had a real battle to build at all and height and distance from boundaries has limited the garage. I'm a bit old fashioned and still believe garages should accommodate a family car and the garage and subsequent railway room have been severely compromised. Another problem is that because the house had to be 'dormer' style I have half walls about 1m high and a 45 degree ceiling which restricts height at the front and back and since I want to access the front window and maintain a free area to sit at a modelling table I have left about 3 feet free of layout along the bottom.

Having explained the short comings I'll describe my rationale.

I have too much width for a simple oval with scenic and storage elements on opposite sides and I want to avoid crawling under baseboards to access the operating well although I accept some areas will require a bit of crawling and even squeezing for servicing or re-railing errent stock.

Despite pressure from some of the hobby's sages I cannot model a prototype so I'm continuing to concentrate on those elements that I enjoy. Watching long slow trains passing through urban sprawl and now some countryside, simple operating by a 'Lone Wolf'.

There are two seperate circuits.

The black track is a contiuous main line without any gradient but it will have undulating countryside beneath the track level, the top of the layout beneath the Velux windows will have twelve storage loops although two will be left for contiuous running when required.

The red circuit is a secondary twin track line but in fact is a single line that returns by way of the dumb bell loop and includes four storage loops. I have yet to finalise actual station and yard plans but whilst I will maintain some capacity to shunt a few wagons or coaches about I know that this aspect has become less and less used on the old layout.

The main feature will be a 13' reverse curve viaduct and the urban areas will be gritty, grotty and not a 'Des Res' in sight.

• RMweb Gold

I think it's an opportune time to send the old girl off with some snaps from just under 3 years ago.

Well done Dave, it's a layout that figures in many people's thoughts. Here's to #3!

Andy / Dave

I remember very well the day Andy took those photographs and once I again I thank you for your kind hospitality shown to us that day, goish was it really 3 years ago! Not to mention the fact that a rake or two of Southern stock stretched its legs on the layout that day too!

I look forward to #3 with great interest and anticpation.

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

I shall miss the garden room, as it's hard to think of a better setting for a model railway. Having said that, you already know from the woodworm attack that a partial redesign was a big step forward, so starting afresh gives you the opportunity to do even better than before, which I know you will do. I certainly felt rather sad, and had some moments of doubt, when I tore up my last effort, but as you know I now think it's one of the best decisions I ever made. Just design it so you don't have to do much crawling, and if you can make the baseboards in modules which can be wired upside down before they are fixed in place so much the better. Your back and knees will thank you! I think it's time you came over for more bacon butties and another demonstration of the benefits of DCC :D

Tetleys Mills allways has been an inspirational layout for me - I have even changed a couple of retaining walls on my layout from blue brick brickpaper to Slaters embossed stone !!

A word of advice. learned by me the hard way over the years.

None of us get any younger, so plan carefully your "future maintainence issues", i.e. dont have any pointwork etc out of reach etc. Run your wiring in accesible looms. Nearly all my wiring is on top, at the front of the layout - easilly accesible but you don't see it - it is in plastic conduit with clip on lids, painted brown and covered with easilly removable buildings / scenery, Track, signal and lighting feeds pass under the tracks in conduits installed every 3 feet before the track laid. I have alot more wires than I need, all numbered & colour-coded so alterations / additions are quick & easy. No more messing under the layout for me - and my back loves it !!.

Good luck with your new layout Mr Tetleys, I look forward to seing it develop.

Brit15

Apollo,

Thanks for the advice.

Another hobby I've been neglecting during the house build has been my cycle training and I just couldn't resist today's unseasonal warm sunny weather, unfortunately I headed into the breeze and sun and got carried away since the old body felt great! Then at 3/4 distance I hit the wall, the heart was willing but the legs were weak fortunately I took my wallet and bought a Mars bar, they really do work and after a few miles I was re-vitalised and made it home, crawling under baseboards isn't quite such a bad prospect now.

Great Northern uses Tortoise style motors very effectively on his Peterborough North and I was already to follow his lead but apart from the cost I think surface mounted solonoids in the storage yards and any hidden turnouts will be far more accessable especially with surface mounted wiring although I appreciate that there is more likelyhood of damage to the points. I'm also inclined to limit turnouts at stations for access reasons

Sorry to see Tetleys Mills be torn down, as others have said it was an inspirational layout. However I look forward to the new build as it it progresses on this thread. On the plan you have shown and described, you mention 2 separate circuits, any temptation to connect them?

Sorry to see Tetleys Mills be torn down, as others have said it was an inspirational layout. However I look forward to the new build as it it progresses on this thread. On the plan you have shown and described, you mention 2 separate circuits, any temptation to connect them?

If there isn't room for the gradient, you could always have a wagon lift....

Hi Dave,

Well its finally happened that the announced destruction of Tetley Mills (Mark 2) has taken place. It has been an inspiration to modellers down under since it was first spotted all those years ago in Model Rail and on RMWeb. I certainly enjoy what you created as it wasn't just a railway, but a northern town with a railway. Look forward to the next Tetley Mills (mark3). No doubt the magazines will be clamouring for the first opportunity to publish it.

Thanks Andy to for the photos and reminding us what we enjoyed about Tetley Mills.

Was just wondering what the yard would look like, but as you say you haven't finalised that.

Mark

Tom D.

That is one temptation I find easy to resist. I think a common mistake is to make layouts too complicated and difficult to operate, whilst the track plan may look complicated it is two seperate routes and believe me, I will have enough on my hands just running trains in two directions on the upper main line and another train or two on the lower. I've had a terminus and it was enjoyable, I've had a branch terminus and it too was enjoyable pending the re-build of Tetleys Mills terminus but I found I hardly ever shunted the yard. So the new layout will be basically a load of scenery through which I can sit back and watch trains travel through, I will be able to set a couple of trains running continualy on the main line and mess about on the lower level.

One thing I did discover on the two previous layouts was that gradients are a pain in the 'buffer' if decent length trains are to be run hence no interconnection of the circuits. The lower route will have some very easy gradients over which shorter local trains will operate but this will be to enable the lower track to drop down below the main line storage tracks and still enable me to access the lower storage tracks. There is plenty of prototype evidence of routes crossing over without any form of inter connection.

My wife Julie has had her first bonfire featuring Tetleys Mills with a lot more to follow, I really will have to re-consider my construction methods if I'm to save the Amazon rain forests.

Hi Dave, Thanks again to Andy for some more great pic's. I do envey you the space you have for the new project, I would need to go to Z to get into my 9 x 7 room. Looking forward to your regular updates. All the best Andy..

Dear Tetleys,

I have admired your layout ever since its first appearance in the mags. I heard it was going and like everyone here I'm both sad to see it go but pleased an improved mk 3 version is on its way. Good luck and God speed with it.

Having a professional interest in bridges at 12 inches to the foot scale, I am particularly impressed with your bridges and viaducts. Will you be recycling any of these model structures into TM3? Any new bridges on the way?

Regards,

Brian.

]

Dear Tetleys,

I have admired your layout ever since its first appearance in the mags. I heard it was going and like everyone here I'm both sad to see it go but pleased an improved mk 3 version is on its way. Good luck and God speed with it.

Having a professional interest in bridges at 12 inches to the foot scale, I am particularly impressed with your bridges and viaducts. Will you be recycling any of these model structures into TM3? Any new bridges on the way?

Regards,

Brian.

Brian,

First thanks for your comments and yes, I am certainly keeping my latest (prototype) stone viaduct that I made from a series of castings, I retain the moulds and will be making a lot more components for what will eventually be a reverse curve viaduct 13' feet or so long including the viaduct below.

Sorry, I've had to edit out what I thought was one image but what was all of Chris Nevard's work which I'd prefer Chris himself to post. I've got some of my own images of the viaduct that I will post, hopefully later today.

This is one of Chris Nevard's superb images that appeared in Model Rail and shows the viaduct, compare it with the earlier images posted by Andy York that features the original viaduct, when Andy and some RMWeb members visited three years ago the new viaduct had not been built.

I will have to build some other over bridges but I also intend to re-use my girder and masonary bridge that spanned the full width of Tetleys Mills yard it is just too much work to scrap it and I like it. (I need to add some historic images on to the computer to illustrate the bridge in question). The clearance beneath my station over bridge is why It is necessary to include some gradients on the lower secondary line. Although trains obviously pass beneath the bridge I need to add a few more inches clearance for my hand to clear the baseboards carrying the main line storage yard.

I'll try and find time to add some more images which I appreciate is really what members want to see.

Dave

pdf_contactsheet.pdf

Tetley Mills and the layout by Peter Leyland (Gravy Train) were what got me into layout building around 2007-ish. It was all down to the northern country landscape when it looked like they built pubs and townhalls out of coal. Since then I have gone a bit up-country where there's grass and less muck, but I am still thankfull that these two layouts actually got me building baseboards and the rest of it. :imsohappy:

PS: Any more pictures of Tetley Mills Andy...?

I've always enjoyed reading about Tetley Mills in the mags and on here and the DVD and although not my region it has always been one of my favourite layouts. I even chatted to you at Splading (I doubt whether you would remember) I think we were looking at Stoke Summit and it was when the Hornby Gresleys first came out. I am really looking foreward to the new incarnation of Tetleys in version 3..

Edited due to bad spelling caused by over celebration of the rugby result at Twickenham.

• RMweb Premium

There are a number of classic layouts - layouts that introduced new techniques, materials, rolling stock and started a trend...

Many of these (eg. Peter Denny's Buckingham) have been saved for posterity. I think Tetleys Mills is in this category...look at the number of people it has inspired. It is such a shame that the layout couldn't have been saved in its entirety.

Jeff

Tetleys has always been the inspiration behind my own modelling efforts ever since I saw it in Model Rail for the first time. The incredible stonework was just what I wanted to achieve and Dave was extremely helpful in showing me how it was done over several months, culminating in a wonderful trip to Tetley Towers to see the whole thing first hand. I know others have asked for more pics, so here's a few I took on that day.

Thanks for all your help, Dave. It really was most appreciated and something I'll not forget.

post-6950-0-30703600-1330244818_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-87560800-1330244823_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-90517500-1330244829_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-09129400-1330244835_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-86712600-1330244839_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-08073800-1330244845_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-39517500-1330244849_thumb.jpg

Archived