Model Railway Partwork - Your Model Railway Village

John M Upton

Thanks for this, I am still in the thought stage and your input is greatly appreciated, The space I have is the size of a single bed, approx. 200 x 100cm. I keep asking the missus if I can get rid of the bed as nobody sleeps in it anymore but she said no, so my idea is to build a base on top of it. It is a spare room now but she wants to keep the bed in it in case one of our boys wants to return home. I am going out this afternoon shopping so I will pick up the Hornby mag October edition with operation build it. I have loads of 1/76 scale cars/vans ect I can add to my layout.

Thanks Again

You could try hinging it to the wall. I used to have one like that there was a permanent baseboard with a station and run round loop, two carriage sidings on the narrow shelf it was hinged to (I run my stock in fixed rakes so there was just room for 4 sets of 3 coaches) then the hinged section was a sometimes single sometimes double track oval with sidings. I did plan an extra extension to give the trains somewhere to go but that got put on ice due to lack of framing wood and too much time spent running trains.

Oh, and curses. I just went into the local WHS & they have three copies of part one in stock having had none at all. I have five of the coaches already, but have made a bit of a mess of putting numbers on the doors.

Oh the dilemma, to get some more?

You could try hinging it to the wall. I used to have one like that there was a permanent baseboard with a station and run round loop, two carriage sidings on the narrow shelf it was hinged to (I run my stock in fixed rakes so there was just room for 4 sets of 3 coaches) then the hinged section was a sometimes single sometimes double track oval with sidings. I did plan an extra extension to give the trains somewhere to go but that got put on ice due to lack of framing wood and too much time spent running trains.

Now that is a good idea, Obviously I would need to take a measurement of the tallest building and hinge it on a panel of board that size from the wall and make sure the layout is all firmly attached to the board, alternatively I could remove all the buildings when it is folded up. Thanks for the idea.

• RMweb Premium

Oh, and curses. I just went into the local WHS & they have three copies of part one in stock having had none at all. I have five of the coaches already, but have made a bit of a mess of putting numbers on the doors.

Oh the dilemma, to get some more?

Grab them while you can.

• RMweb Gold

here is the first of my hachette "hash ups"

null_zps3186913b.jpg

going to be part of my generic charter rake, i was going to do a WCR rake but i've decided to leave it unbranded, still not quite finished, need to add numbers, continue the cantrail round the ends and lightly weather it

all i have done is change the wheels for Hornby ones, resprayed the roof, added decals (no smoking, modern ohle flashes, C1 classifications, lighting point and first class numbers), painted the door grabs and handles and painted a cantrail on it, pleased with the result so far

null_zpsa6e36fea.jpg

only 6 more to put back together

• RMweb Premium

You can arrange it to fold downwards, I have had this 8 years or so. The model is more vulnerable to impact, but quite discrete in its surroundings. If the layout is 3'6" wide, but you would like it say 4' from the floor, it can look like this:

post-14389-0-12924500-1380061783.jpgpost-14389-0-74596400-1380061795.jpgpost-14389-0-86927600-1380061803.jpg

If you would like a continuous run, I think it is more fun if you can view it from inside the circuit. Try to make the access well 2' x 3' or bigger, mine is too tight.

- Richard.

That, big jim, is exactly what I was trying to achieve.  Sadly I fouled up the door numbers and am now having huge difficulty removing the oversized numbers where the WHS gold pen had run by capillary action under the maskers:

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

So far neither white spirit nor The Long Haired Controller's nail polish remover seems to be touching the stuff, and I hesitate to put the window embellishments on until it's sorted!

• RMweb Gold

i used fox transfers for my door numbers, the sheet has things like the "emergency lighting point", "C1", "1" decals on as well as "load even distributed" "guard" and "kitchen" decals too, it is available with different colours for the numbers and writing

i have got to order some more as i'm short of a few decals, similarly the no smoking signs i'm 14 short for the final coach

i will have a look if they do mk1 numbers in gold, not too bothered what they are as long as there are some on it!

As I have a goodly supply of the loading gauge markers and ordered the window embellishments (although I need more of these) I decided not to buy the door numbers.  Hoping this isn't a costly mistake!  

Do you happen to have the Fox sheet number?  I may just be better taking off the painted numbers and starting again, although these £3.99 coaches are becoming a bit expensive now...

Hi - Looks like youre both doing the same as what im doing, mine are to become TSO's however but modernised with modern warning flashes and cantrail lining.. however mine will be reglazed; with replica glazing which I received this morning, ive noticed that the replica windows are smaller but to my eye the window apertures are too high up slightly so some filling will be required to fix this

NL

Try some Brasso pads or TCut or similar will put a slight sheen on it too for you!

That, big jim, is exactly what I was trying to achieve.  Sadly I fouled up the door numbers and am now having huge difficulty removing the oversized numbers where the WHS gold pen had run by capillary action under the maskers:

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

So far neither white spirit nor The Long Haired Controller's nail polish remover seems to be touching the stuff, and I hesitate to put the window embellishments on until it's sorted!

I'm just being a cheapskate and trying to make some CKs and FKs out of the coaches.  No one who sees my layout in the flesh will be any the wiser about any liberties I've taken with actual details.

I've now bitten the bullet and ordered the Fox pack mentioned above by big jim along with a blanking patch to cover up where I've banjaxed it.  Additional cost per coach will still only be about £3 and i will have some bits & bobs left over.

Only thing is once I have these coaches sorted I'll need something to pull them.  My Western class may be right-ish, but a green Warship is looking increasingly attractive and I've always wanted one.  Have a horrible feeling the cost of this divided by five means each coach will cost £3.99 + £3 for detailing + £16 (minimum) locomotive = cheaper not to have started ;)

• RMweb Gold

Green warship eh, ive got one on ebay at the minute!

I'll be quite honest when it comes to Different coach types i havent got an FKing clue what the differences ar and couldnt really give a CK in all honesty, im quite happy to have a nice rake of cheap "modern image" maroon coaches to run on the layout behind tornado or my 4MT

I'll be quite honest when it comes to Different coach types i havent got an FKing clue what the differences ar and couldnt really give a CK in all honesty, im quite happy to have a nice rake of cheap "modern image" maroon coaches to run on the layout behind tornado or my 4MT

Surely you of all people would know you need a brake coach in the rake...?

With a knowledge of train formations like that, DCR will soon offer you a job...

Get thee behind me, Warship vendors, I'm broke after buying the house & once all that's paid for need to start saving for a shed to build a new layout in!

As for the realism/differences between SKs, FKs & CKs I don't really care that the lavatory window may be in a different position relative to the door or the number of windows on the body either.  It's just I've had people appear and tell me the colour paint I have used under my static grass and flock is unrealistic (among other "constructive" criticism) so I deploy the "It's My Railway" defence now & again! 

On my part I will be getting one eventually, hence my query about whether the older models would sit happily with Mk1s as the Mk1s tend to be about £5 a piece more expensive!

• RMweb Gold

With a knowledge of train formations like that, DCR will soon offer you a job...

ah yes, that much i do know, i've got the ltd ed NRM support coach for that job!

• RMweb Gold

mines not a WCR train its my "generic" charter train "big-jim rail" if you like, cant really call it BJ Rail as that sucks!

i like to look after my passengers so have made them 1st class, might even add curtains to the compartment side windows yet

Just wondering guys, if you actually need to put 1st class door markings on these 2nd class coaches?

I want a rake of first and second class coaches, possibly with a buffet and a brake, but am too tight to go and buy things which can be mocked up.  However for my needs by painting a big I on each relevant door & adding some blue sausages to the windows I have some first class accommodation for minimal extra expense and maximum fun of modelling.  I prefer it that way as opposed to just taking stuff out of a box and putting it on the tracks...

ah yes, that much i do know, i've got the ltd ed NRM support coach for that job!

I think I've defaulted on my own comment there, as you'd need two brakes- one within the train, and the second as the support coach (usually a BCK/BSK/Courier). It would impede operations to use the support coach as the guards accomodation as you'd be brake-less as the coach usually stays with the loco, but I'm sure there's a prototype for everything.... (cue 8,000,000 replies with a link to youtube showing a stock move with just the loco's support coach as the brake vehicle).

mines not a WCR train its my "generic" charter train "big-jim rail" if you like, cant really call it BJ Rail as that sucks!

i like to look after my passengers so have made them 1st class, might even add curtains to the compartment side windows yet

No Jim, you're a rip-off merchant.  Charging your passengers first class fares and them seating them in second class coaches.  Outrageous.

Where should send my complaint about 'BJ Rail' to?  

Archived