Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

Crikey Jerry, I hope you didn’t draw up the artwork in CAD yourself as that will do your street cred no good at all!! 😂

Don’t  worry Ian my street cred is safe, I did some work with a pencil and ruler, the clever stuff was done by Will 👍

I gave Will some drawings and photos and he presented me with a beautiful filigree of card for the outer walls and framing.
All I’ve got to do is add the missing bits and nail  it all together! 😊

Jerry

• Like 8

That looks fantastic - great to see it all done.   That's about the same length as my 7mm one that had just seven bays!   

As I understand it the shed had been extended several times and photos show at least two variations of the bracing along the top, although I could never tell which bit of the shed was shown in any photo.   A change of framing style half way down could be a happy accident!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That's a half decent size shed Jerry - nearly Australian in scale. :)

A question. I take it the rails were in concrete in the original. How are you tackling this and the pits? I've tinkered with a pit or two on a much less grand scale and I found it a bit tricky. I have a ridiculous masonry shed that I plan to do at a later stage and I'd be interested to know what you plan.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, queensquare said:

Hi Bruce, it is certainly a barn of a place by 2mm standards.

For the concrete floor the plan is to cut paper strips and glue them in - I’ve cut a few this afternoon and led them in place to give an idea.

For the pits I will cut the sleepers away and build a box  with steps etc underneath. I will only do the pits nearest the door, the others are well out of sight.

Jerry

18A9BC3D-729E-4EAD-987C-6F7AEB73BDE1.jpeg.d5f1b30ba513f1cda28a1f54d8a3d216.jpeg

CF2A3B88-9ADB-4835-9812-6385863BECF2.jpeg.fda3e7a3720d73d61fae13ed977d471e.jpeg

I assume your lay the floor a fraction lower than the rails so you can clean them ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

I assume your lay the floor a fraction lower than the rails so you can clean them ?

That’s  the idea Nick although, as I said , only the first 6-9” will be powered. Tony Gee suggested putting a physical barrier across the shed at6” -9” to prevent runaways which makes perfect sense. I have several locos that either don’t pass muster or are not worth doing much with (union Mills bodies, old white metal kit builds etc) which could be permanently fixed to the track and used as buffer stops in the shed gloom where their shortcomings won’t be apparent.

Jerry

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

Very nice!  On model railways what you see are roofs, lots of them, and yes I'm inclined to obsess about them and their funny little ways.

P2100222.JPG.08354f8a0460c068209b64cb80794b46.JPG

I did find photos of the roof, and there were flat areas between the pitches that would have allowed access.  If they were leaded gulleys they would have 3" steps at no more than 8' intervals - the limit for code 8 lead stepping up from each drainpipe the outlets of which would coincide with a column internally.   The limit for Code 6 is 6' and so on.   The photo was taken before I put the steps in.  The slates are 3D laser etched, and show a lap, which is pretty cool.  I really liked the chimney vents, but they didn't make the final cut as they'd gone in BR days. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Steve Smith said:

Very nice!  On model railways what you see are roofs, lots of them, and yes I'm inclined to obsess about them and their funny little ways.

P2100222.JPG.08354f8a0460c068209b64cb80794b46.JPG

I did find photos of the roof, and there were flat areas between the pitches that would have allowed access.  If they were leaded gulleys they would have 3" steps at no more than 8' intervals - the limit for code 8 lead stepping up from each drainpipe the outlets of which would coincide with a column internally.   The limit for Code 6 is 6' and so on.   The photo was taken before I put the steps in.  The slates are 3D laser etched, and show a lap, which is pretty cool.  I really liked the chimney vents, but they didn't make the final cut as they'd gone in BR days. 

Hi Steve,

what you see in 2mm and what you see in 7mm are very different. The interior shots of your shed are fantastic but the exterior doesn’t look much like Bath - it’s just too small!😊

Jerry

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Bright, Sunny and snow free here!  😄

Jim

Wish I could say the same, Jim.  However, being but a stone's throw from chez Clifford I have to report much the same!

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1