Bath Queen Square

queensquare

18 minutes ago, queensquare said:

It was bridge No 1 on the S&D who were never never that flush!

Then red lead seems the best bet and the simplest explanation for the red bridge name - painting it a different colour would have been too expensive! 
D

• Agree 1

At least one of the iron railway bridges survives on the S&D - I'm thinking of the one heading west out of Radstock.  it's possible that some out of the way part of that might have evidence of prior colours.   As an example of this, the panels on our Victorian kitchen door (1879) retain every coat of paint that was ever applied (about ten).  The oak grain scumbling only occurred about half way through the sequence, and there's a remarkably poisonous green after that.  Up in the boxing under the bargeboards and eaves, original paint survives too - the first layers being remarkably close to Humbrol 'leather'.  It was a very different colour world back then, and the Forth Bridge being 'red' is a good lead.  

The corrugated iron ground frame hut at Verwood could have been green (within station limits), grey (but off the end of the platform) or black (if the bitumen crew had got there first).  Colour photos show that it was either a faded grey-green or an algaed green-grey - so not that helpful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Smith said:

The corrugated iron ground frame hut at Verwood could have been green (within station limits), grey (but off the end of the platform) or black (if the bitumen crew had got there first).  Colour photos show that it was either a faded grey-green or an algaed green-grey - so not that helpful!

Not at all helpful, in fact. I could show you examples of bituminised corrugated iron in my village which have weathered down to a colour for which that would be a good description - I can be certain that they were originally bituminised because there are odd places where the surface was protected from weathering and the bituminisation is obvious.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RustyVanDoor said:

It was grey when I was a lad, I don’t recall it being called Red Bridge, I’ll ask a friend.

I’ve seen several references to it being called the red bridge, including on the twin tunnels website.

Jerry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bécasse said:

Not at all helpful, in fact. I could show you examples of bituminised corrugated iron in my village which have weathered down to a colour for which that would be a good description - I can be certain that they were originally bituminised because there are odd places where the surface was protected from weathering and the bituminisation is obvious.

Going hopelessly off-topic the corrugated lamp hut (also on the Down side) at Verwood) had been tarred at some point, and this was obviously so.  In fact the faded green paint on the door of the lamp hut was close to the colour of the GF hut in photos, so I opted for a faded green as best guess.

On the accuracy (or otherwise) of folk memory;  one of the other S&Ds that served Wimborne crossed Leigh Road on a typical LSWR style iron girder bridge that the locals all referred to as 'Leigh Arch'.  There is absolutely no evidence or reason to think that this bridge was ever an 'arch' in the masonry sense, and I think that in this case there is an accurate folk memory of the original 1847 timber bridge that would have required diagonal bracing underneath each side to support the load - similar to the bracing shown on drawings of the original timber viaduct over the River Stour.  Such structures could be considered to be a timber arch since the bracing members are in compression, and with the top corners cut off by these braces the opening for road traffic would look like an 'arch' to a layman too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With my diversion to motive power on the NSLR almost concluded I’m returning to Bath but it’s a bit chilly out so I will probably spend my free Sunday afternoon contemplating the next project to be tackled in front of the burner. I fancy doing another structure - but which one. Time to get the  albums out I think!

Jerry

AA054271-295B-4A3E-ADE3-4ADDF0F829C0.jpeg.c7d86ac69028777eebdf5c6efa4d693c.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The real reason Deeley resigned is now revealed - the Board rejected his gold-plated livery proposal. 

Hi Stephen, these two will be red. I’m ashamed to say that I have two other red locos waiting to be painted- an 800 2-4-0 and a Johnson 0-4-4T - and they’ve been in Deeley gold plated livery for at least three years!

… as soon as the weather becomes a bit more clement! 

Jerry

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Hi Stephen, these two will be red. I’m ashamed to say that I have two other red locos waiting to be painted- an 800 2-4-0 and a Johnson 0-4-4T - and they’ve been in Deeley gold plated livery for at least three years!

It was really just the way the numbers had been written on the tenders that triggered my whimsey! No pressure,,,

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Now there’s an idea……

What colour do you think they’d be?

Have to honest, I don’t know. The only two locos currently  in company livery are Kimberley and Holly, apple green with red backed name and number plates. The Terrier, Stephanie, is black. Nancy is the first tender loco to enter service with the NSLR and will have the initials on the tender. Not sure what they should be. I would favour a cream or yellow I think. Shaded, unshaded, serif, san-serif ?? I shall see what I have in my transfer stash.

This should be over in the Tucking Mill thread really but no matter, I shall have to give it some thought in the not too distant …!

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...