Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Ah, that is very nice indeed. In a prominent position too, a box that clearly knows its worth 🙂

I was interested to see the printed photo in you first image. It looks ideal for the modeller, was it taken for the build or a good find?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Ah, that is very nice indeed. In a prominent position too, a box that clearly knows its worth 🙂

I was interested to see the printed photo in you first image. It looks ideal for the modeller, was it taken for the build or a good find?

Thanks Mikel. The picture dates from the early sixties, the bridge was demolished shortly after the line was closed. Indeed, as Simon C eluded to, the area is almost completely unrecognisable now.

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, queensquare said:

….. well that didn’t take long. Couple of holes and a bit of wire and job done -  finish off the deck nicely, many thanks Andy.

Little bit of tidying up in the pit and it’s ready for painting- still pondering on a colour.

Jerry

2DD25CE1-732B-40D2-AB7A-B328BC3C1665.jpeg.9cf4fd5e9aaab603673033f88aee5f1a.jpeg

A1C1D2F0-BF6C-41B6-8066-ABF9A485683F.jpeg.e66a442624fdbba974a3d3fbe44fa767.jpeg

Now that really is coming along nicely… Well done Jerry.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Now that really is coming along nicely… Well done Jerry.

Thanks Frank. I’m really pleased with how this project has turned out though I must say I’ve had help from a number of friends, not least your wiring diagram which is wonderfully simple and allows me to control the table with just a single button.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, queensquare said:

Splendid day in the shed where we had a small, 2mm gathering. The Grand brothers brought a couple of locos with them - Simon his almost complete B6 which is a stunning bit of work and Andy with his sound fitted Austerity. 
Both ran beautifully.

Most exciting for me, Andy brought the 3D printed columns for the turntable - they are superb - and tiny!

Jerry

2769DF1F-C08E-4A8F-82C1-9901466C05F4.jpeg.2703022d060ab3b3da5a0e7f96d84b89.jpeg

4EBBB069-A18F-4738-A773-04D3667ACBBD.jpeg.ecdd6846d6469008efb0bca73e820c98.jpeg

34C27F6B-2095-4378-A9BF-B09CD739FC70.jpeg.65490b2855ad4b841a27e93d7cda1e02.jpeg

I always knew you were lacking in certain matters. What sort of fool can't tell a B6 from a B9?

Don't try to get me back by testing me on Somerset and Dorset stuff. I would fail spectacularly!

Seriously, as a connoisseur of GCR locos, that is lovely. I presume from etches drawn by Mike Edge. I have one to do in 4mm one day.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I always knew you were lacking in certain matters. What sort of fool can't tell a B6 from a B9?

Don't try to get me back by testing me on Somerset and Dorset stuff. I would fail spectacularly!

Seriously, as a connoisseur of GCR locos, that is lovely. I presume from etches drawn by Mike Edge. I have one to do in 4mm one day.

Morning Tony, as I’ve said before I’m not too good with stuff that Far East - now corrected!

As you suggest, the basis is Mike Edge etches and Simon has made a fantastic job. His brother Andy brought along a couple of ex GCR 0-6-0s, J10 and J11 from memory, but I failed to take any pictures unfortunately. All will be finished in BR grot which is a shame, I tried to persuade them that full GCR livery would be much nicer but to no avail!

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 65179 said:

East? All these beasties come from due north of where you live Jerry 😉

1814723644_20221101_2330102.jpg.c56d4a8f8c8c18f1d5e374da6c69c5ae.jpg

In the absence of any 2mm B4 etches (and I have no record of 1482 Immingham west of the Pennines post-nationalisation), mucky black is the only colour available for GC 4-6-0s in the early BR period!

Thanks again to @Michael Edge for making the B9 etches available in 2mm.

Simon

I know Simon it’s a sort of generic east being LNER. It’s like the Midland reaching Southend!

Whatever sort of B it is, it’s still fantastic work.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 65179 said:

East? All these beasties come from due north of where you live Jerry 😉

1814723644_20221101_2330102.jpg.c56d4a8f8c8c18f1d5e374da6c69c5ae.jpg

In the absence of any 2mm B4 etches (and I have no record of 1482 Immingham west of the Pennines post-nationalisation), mucky black is the only colour available for GC 4-6-0s in the early BR period!

Thanks again to @Michael Edge for making the B9 etches available in 2mm.

Simon

That is rather lovely. Any chance of a photo of any other GCR types? I just can't get enough of them!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Any chance of a photo of any other GCR types? I just can't get enough of them!

Sorry it's only a slightly fuzzy view, but here are what my brother Andy is slowly getting there with:

IMG-20221026-WA0004.jpg.e6c9675a4b002af9975f5a7508e486da.jpg

Jerry will identify them for you Tony.

Simon

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Sorry it's only a slightly fuzzy view, but here are what my brother Andy is slowly getting there with:

Simon

Thanks. That is a good looking collection.

Many years ago, my brother used to help out operating at exhibitions. One time he was working the fiddle yard and was asked to send out a specific loco.

Faced with a similar line up of candidates to the one illustrated and not knowing one from another, he looked up and asked "Is that the black one with a chimney?". 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Simon

If I am not mistaken, reading left to right LNER designation C13, J11 and J10.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Doncaster Green said:

John

Spot on John.

Modified Worsley Works C13 4-4-2T with added motor gear, 3D-printed J11 0-6-0 with scratchbuilt chassis and Judith Edge 3250 gallon tender, and scratchbuilt J10 0-6-0.

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Doncaster Green said:

9K - a truly elegant tank engine that speaks of Robinson's time in Ireland.

9J - a locomotive that demonstrates the Robinson picked up where S.W. Johnson left off.

Is that a 9D or a 9H? A Belpaire rebuild anyway.

As for that beautiful 8F we saw earlier - again I say, that's not far off what a Johnson 4-6-0 would have looked like; such a shame Robinson gave up on building Smith compounds!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Thanks. That is a good looking collection.

Many years ago, my brother used to help out operating at exhibitions. One time he was working the fiddle yard and was asked to send out a specific loco.

Faced with a similar line up of candidates to the one illustrated and not knowing one from another, he looked up and asked "Is that the black one with a chimney?". 

A problem familiar to @Barry O trying to work out which big black GC loco is which through the Brunswick shed 'roof' on Mike Edge's Herculaneum Dock!

Simon

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 65179 said:

A problem familiar to @Barry O trying to work out which big black GC loco is which through the Brunswick shed 'roof' on Mike Edge's Herculaneum Dock!

Simon

Go DCC, enter the number and see which one moves.

Just sayin'.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

9K - a truly elegant tank engine that speaks of Robinson's time in Ireland.

9J - a locomotive that demonstrates the Robinson picked up where S.W. Johnson left off.

Is that a 9D or a 9H? A Belpaire rebuild anyway.

As for that beautiful 8F we saw earlier - again I say, that's not far off what a Johnson 4-6-0 would have looked like; such a shame Robinson gave up on building Smith compounds!

You've been fooled by the overlarge flanges and shiny splashers Stephen, it's an 8G, the smaller wheeled variant of the 8F. Even in rebuilt superheated form there is a certain elegance about some of these edwardian locos. I agree.

65179 was built as a 9H and so had the Belpaire from new.

Anyway Jerry. Sorry for cluttering up your thread. I'll make sure it's a 2P or 483 I post next time to keep on topic!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 65179 said:

You've been fooled by the overlarge flanges and shiny splashers Stephen, it's an 8G, the smaller wheeled variant of the 8F. Even in rebuilt superheated form there is a certain elegance about some of these edwardian locos. I agree.

65179 was built as a 9H and so had the Belpaire from new.

Anyway Jerry. Sorry for cluttering up your thread. I'll make sure it's a 2P or 483 I post next time to keep on topic!

Simon

Not at all Simon, I love all these pre-grouping locos even if my knowledge away from Derby products is a little lacking. They are all very welcome visitors to Bath - don’t forget I have an L&Y 0-8-0 and a NER Q5 - and intend to add others to my eight coupled collection for no better reason than because I like them. Id like a GC one ( in GC livery)if anyone produced a kit or scratch aid. One that’s very high up the list to be built (I have the etches and wheels) is a LNWR G2. These did make occasional appearances at Bath in LMS and BR days. I’ve not seen any evidence of them making it to Bath in the 20s but I won’t let a minor detail like that worry me!

I’m steadily building my collection of locos so that I will be able to run Bath with appropriate stock but there will always be room for what the late David Jenkinson used to call the ‘funny trains’.

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Yes indeed, my comment about the similarity in large engine elegance between Robinson's 10-wheelers (of all sorts) and Johnson's Belpaires and Compounds stand. I wonder if John Smith, son of Walter Mackersie Smith, moving from the Derby LDO to the Gorton LDO following Johnson's retirement had anything to do with it.

42 minutes ago, 65179 said:

I do also like the neat plain lines of the "Deeley style" - elements of which carried right through to the locomotives produced under Stanier's superintendency.

• Like 1