Bath Queen Square

queensquare

Hi Jerrry

hopefully you wont mind this pic the J69 was a complete beginners job and has sat in a box since I moved 4 years ago the body is not photogenic - But the chassis runs fine so I intend to complete it and showing it here means I will have motivation to finish it this year (I'll start my own thread). I dont know how to share the chassis running film as its mp4 but if there is a way I would like to. 

Ta

Jon

J69 chassis.jpg

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, GER_Jon said:

Hi Jerrry

hopefully you wont mind this pic the J69 was a complete beginners job and has sat in a box since I moved 4 years ago the body is not photogenic - But the chassis runs fine so I intend to complete it and showing it here means I will have motivation to finish it this year (I'll start my own thread). I dont know how to share the chassis running film as its mp4 but if there is a way I would like to. 

Ta

Jon

J69 chassis.jpg

The way I show MP4 on RM Web is to load the video to YouTube and then imbed the link in the RM Web entry.  I was told when I loaded my first video that this was standard practice.
Regards,

Frank 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

The way I show MP4 on RM Web is to load the video to YouTube and then imbed the link in the RM Web entry.  I was told when I loaded my first video that this was standard practice.
Regards,

Frank 

And you can make the video private so it is only visible via the embedded link and not searchable on YouTube itself.

I've uploaded several videos this way and the only way anyone else can view them is from the link I embedded here.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

And you can make the video private so it is only visible via the embedded link and not searchable on YouTube itself.

You need 'Unlisted' rather than 'Private'. Private will only show to the account holder.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks to Woodenhead, Chuffer Davis and AY I have learned something new so here is the short video note the track gauges used for ballast. Apologise to Jerry for hijacking his thread - this is the last one.

Jon

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, GER_Jon said:

Thanks to Woodenhead, Chuffer Davis and AY I have learned something new so here is the short video note the track gauges used for ballast. Apologise to Jerry for hijacking his thread - this is the last one.

Jon

That’s looking very promising. No need to apologise about hijacking the thread Jon, always good to see and hear of people’s progress on projects.

Jerry

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, queensquare said:

the last such thing was the wonderfully ugly L&Y 0-8-0 from the excellent Nigel Hunt kit seen here posed with its P4 big brother at the Portsmouth show in December.

1605906693_Portsmouthshow2021.jpg.51fbfe30dc591f33ae7cf6d0cc370b25.jpg

Interesting photo. If you hadn't told us I would have assumed that was a P4 model posed alongside its tinplate Gauge 1 big brother - there's something about the finish of the smaller model that makes it look more realistic to my eye. Or maybe the 4 mm scale one just needs a better smokebox door casting?

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Interesting photo. If you hadn't told us I would have assumed that was a P4 model posed alongside its tinplate Gauge 1 big brother - there's something about the finish of the smaller model that makes it look more realistic to my eye. Or maybe the 4 mm scale one just needs a better smokebox door casting?

The casting may be okay, it just looks poorly fitted. A shame as the loco otherwise looks well made.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

A rare midwinters evening in the workshop tonight saw the M nudged ever closer to completion with the tender coaled and the unpainted bits on the chassis -  brakes, sandboxes etc coloured in with my Sharpie pen.

Chip, couplings, weathering and crew to go.

Jerry

A312B44F-29D0-4108-B7BA-EFB8913498CF.jpeg.cf3595f5bcf147a0229acab2f1ae42e3.jpeg

Golden Virginia tins! Still the best for storage. I got dozens from a colleague over 40 years ago...

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Golden Virginia tins! Still the best for storage. I got dozens from a colleague over 40 years ago...

I love old tins and have lots in use in the workshop, here’s just a small selection keeping my toolbox in some sort of order. The After Eight tin is modern ( birthday last year) and is perfect for the job though I did have to empty it first!

My favourite at the moment is the pop up Elastoplast tin which a friend gave me a couple of years ago - perfect for solder.

JerryEFE84161-64B2-44C4-917D-9C6ECC6327BD.jpeg.2b47e0728b5ac50aa9b30cfb9712e9dd.jpegE5AC3063-EE3E-4C82-9672-901E4F90B2F6.jpeg.7fede8b4a54a89d3a5b53d99a37799c1.jpeg6D17226C-1F17-4DD0-BF5E-82F55F8D4BAB.jpeg.0f7909ce060ab3fc665db19119344216.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2022 at 08:32, queensquare said:

I love old tins and have lots in use in the workshop, here’s just a small selection keeping my toolbox in some sort of order. The After Eight tin is modern ( birthday last year) and is perfect for the job though I did have to empty it first!

My favourite at the moment is the pop up Elastoplast tin which a friend gave me a couple of years ago - perfect for solder.

JerryEFE84161-64B2-44C4-917D-9C6ECC6327BD.jpeg.2b47e0728b5ac50aa9b30cfb9712e9dd.jpegE5AC3063-EE3E-4C82-9672-901E4F90B2F6.jpeg.7fede8b4a54a89d3a5b53d99a37799c1.jpeg6D17226C-1F17-4DD0-BF5E-82F55F8D4BAB.jpeg.0f7909ce060ab3fc665db19119344216.jpeg

Tins ain't what they used to be.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Leafing through a second-hand book that I didn't buy yesterday, I came upon a photo of a 483 in BR lined black, with 2P in Gill Sans above the number in the usual way but also still with the old Midland brass 2 on the upper cab side sheet. The P and F suffixes were an early LMS innovation, although the S&DJR had been using P and G for some years before 1923. Now, if I've understood correctly, your modelling period straddles the grouping. So I have to ask: 2P or not 2P?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Leafing through a second-hand book that I didn't buy yesterday, I came upon a photo of a 483 in BR lined black, with 2P in Gill Sans above the number in the usual way but also still with the old Midland brass 2 on the upper cab side sheet. The P and F suffixes were an early LMS innovation, although the S&DJR had been using P and G for some years before 1923. Now, if I've understood correctly, your modelling period straddles the grouping. So I have to ask: 2P or not 2P?

That is the question ....

The LMS used 2P for all of them.  Just to confuse the issue, the S&D referred to them as a No.4 class or 4P - see table below from the 1927 working timetable.

5F8009A6-F796-47C9-A9B5-5BEE5D8902C9.jpeg.7d138d9e3e82152b6879d1f4934481e4.jpeg

I tend to use 2P for the LMS built examples and 483 for Midland/SDJR  ones (although the SDJR had a small batch of LMS built examples delivered in 1928 which were 2Ps, not 483s - hope you’re keeping up at the back!).

The picture below of a pair climbing Bath bank illustrates this perfectly. The leading loco is an ex Midland 483, 7’ drivers, r/h drive, Johnson tender. The rear one is a 2P, 6’9” drivers, l/h drive, Fowler tender. 

Tender variations is a whole other can of worms .....

Jerry

IMG_3214.JPG.80f40d2d32c0fb077072d7d56a5c6a93.JPG

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3