The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

And is this indicative of DBS losing the steel traffic ?

COLAS 66844 at Lower Basildon (Near Tilehurst) with 13:10[6Z98] Wembley Yard - Llanwern steel empties (34 wagons totalling 800 tonnes - impressive)

Apologies for the poor quality but it was 3:30 yesterday afternoon in a very dark cutting !

post-5198-066476800 1292013142_thumb.jpg

COLAS 66844 at Lower Basildon (Near Tilehurst) with 13:10[6Z98] Wembley Yard - Llanwern steel empties (34 wagons totalling 800 tonnes - impressive)

Apologies for the poor quality but it was 3:30 yesterday afternoon in a very dark cutting !

post-5198-066476800 1292013142_thumb.jpg

Nice photo but its probably not indicative of anything if it's a special working. DBS has plenty of experience of running steel trains and if it still thinks thisw traffic will pay its way, it has more than enough resources to make a competitive bid.

• RMweb Gold

No - it's new business rather than different company I believe, I was made aware it was going to happen some 12 months ago

60074 failed this morning at Copy Pit on 6M32 Lindsey-Preston bitumen tanks. Don't know how much of a failure though!

Cheers,

Mick

I understand that 074 has had traction motor problems and one of its traction motors has been isolated for some time. So maybe it has suffered from something related to this.

I understand that 074 has had traction motor problems and one of its traction motors has been isolated for some time. So maybe it has suffered from something related to this.

We were told that class 60s could operate quite happily on five traction motors on practically any train we slung behind them. I daresay that was and still is right, but sure isn't a healthy long term "fix".

I was told well over a decade ago that the US built domestic locos have the ability to have a wheelset changed in three hours, and a traction motor in eight hours, but i don't think that level of speed has been achieved or even aspired to with DB-S nee EWS, or the other UK EMD operators.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Dave/Stu,

rumour has it that 60071 is stored awaiting transfer? . Just thought I would add this

shot of 60015 passing through Barnetby on 8/12/10 . Hauling 6D49 Lindsey -Neville Hill tanks, the consist

was reduced due to the weather .

post-7052-0-37650200-1293530291_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dave/Stu,

rumour has it that 60071 is stored awaiting transfer? .

60071 was dragged to Bescot (for a B exam at Toton) this morning. 60010 and 60045 both out on the LBT circuit now that the other frozen set got tipped in Fidlers this afternoon.

Modern Railways magazine are reporting in their last issue that up to 40 examples of DBS's UK Class 66 fleet will be exported to Poland to replace life expired locos. This Doesn't include the 60 already sent to France for use by ECR or the 70 built specifically for ECR. So prehaps the 60s overhauls is to cover the shortfall in traction?

Hi

Its been a while since I last had a look on this thread,nice videos Beast66606 ;). Its good to see the remaining 60s limp on into 2011. There is some new pictures on fotopic showing 60007 being shunted at Toton,looks like its overhaul is well underway. Now as EWS is absorbed into the European wide DBS empire, it seems odd that they would send up to 40 UK based 66s to Poland as couldnt DBS supply traction for Poland from another country it operates in,a country closer to Poland like Germany for example. Having said that UK freight traffic was hit hard from the recent recession and there hasnt exactly been plenty of work for DBS UKs 66s, according to WNXX.com 12 66s have been stored on Dec 23rd,so I suppose It would make sense to redeploy these modern assets elsewhere. Although another option would be to send some of the stored 90s/92s to work on Polish electrified lines to partially solve the traction problem??

It would be great to see a 60 comeback next year afer 6 years of decline and constant storage/reinstatments. Is 59203 still working on the LBT-FFPS working or is 60010 and 60045 in total control of these workings?

Regards

Lewis