The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

wow :D the DB livery suits the 60 and 67 the best IMHO, is 60011 working off Margam on the Murco's by any chance? was hoping to see it down Newport or maybe Cardiff. I caught a glimpse of 66152 crawling through cardiff today in torrential rain hauling steel coils, looking VERY grubby! Almost RHTT grubby. :lol:

I'd like to correct myself.

I don't know how but through a case of serious stupidity I forgot that theres a whole line connecting Bury St Edmunds to Norwich.

I just assumed that the loco would work the less busy Breckland line.

I don't really know why.

My mistake.

Well at least thats cleared it up.

As mentioned any times would be appreciated.

regards,

Lukasz

A 60 seen at Bury St Edmunds on stone traffic is more likely to be a Mountsorrel to Barham (Just north of Ipswich) working or a working to the stone terminal (lose description for a concrete pad and a front loader!) in Bury itself.

Out of all the old bangers to choose from at Toytown they go for 011!!!

Im no frother but admit to be gutted!:(

I suspect they went for this particular one first because of its very much out-dated patch-work livery and recent service history being considerably better than alot of the fleet at Toton. Also you could argue that blue loco's are usually associated with DRS.

So - is it time to retitle the thread already? :P

Yes it is Glorious NSE.

At long last it has been announced.

I freely admit I was sceptical of it happening but seeing 66s heading off to Poland, there has to be some "grunt" on Network Rail. Three million quid is a small price to pay for seven reliable heavy haul powerhouses.

Is it still worth wishing Brush would do a deal with DB-S and MTU one ?

Great news on the 60s but still a maximum of 21 'Super 60s' is nowhere near the once 100 stong fleet :( .What will they do with the other 79?

If they were re engined with MTUs,wouldnt there popularity drop?

Overall though good news B) ,should the thread be renamed Class 60- saved by schenker?

Regards

Lewis

Great news on the 60s but still a maximum of 21 'Super 60s' is nowhere near the once 100 stong fleet :( .What will they do with the other 79?

I guess rather than selecting the best 21 tugs they'll probably choose the best body and frame and then find the best bogies and internals from any number of 60s. Once they have refurbed them I guess the others will be striped of parts and cut.

Regards,

Jack

What will they do with the other 79?

20 are already up for sale as scrap. As suggested, the remainder will probably serve as Christmas trees for spare parts.

If they were re engined with MTUs,wouldnt there popularity drop?

"Populariy" ????

That doesn't matter one bit.

If there's a good business case for the refurbished fleet to be re-engined, then the owners might do it. That's up to them.

I guess rather than selecting the best 21 tugs they'll probably choose the best body and frame and then find the best bogies and internals from any number of 60s. Once they have refurbed them I guess the others will be striped of parts and cut.

Regards,

Jack

Prehaps, although I think some of the current servicable locos will be overhauled. Like 60039,60054,60040,60074,60096 which have all been in service regually recently. Although 60011 looks great externally, I bet it could do with an overhaul of its internals. And of course 60007 will be one of the 'super 60s'.

'Super 60'?

Don't make me laugh!!

Look what they did with 37670 - Just because its got a fresh coat of paint doesnt mean its had an F exam!!!!:mocking_mini: :mocking_mini:

Ever heard of POTOS?

I love 60's but cant forsee how long they can romp on for!

'Super 60'?

Don't make me laugh!!

Look what they did with 37670 - Just because its got a fresh coat of paint doesnt mean its had an F exam!!!!:mocking_mini: :mocking_mini:

Ever heard of POTOS?

I love 60's but cant forsee how long they can romp on for!

Although 011 is just an external improvement the selected locomotives will be properly refurbished not just painted, 3 million pounds spent with the aim of a 15 year life extension will consist of more than just a paint job. Don't forget most 37s are over double the age of the 60s, I'm sure 60s can carry on another 15 years.

Regards,

Jack

Yup, nearly £430,000 per loco should see more than just a repaint!

Trev, did the red 37s get any work done before repaint, besides patching them up? From what I can remember, none of the EWS tractors had any proper work done since way earlier - is this right?

Anyway, back to the 60s...

post-6899-0-85092000-1295564437_thumb.jpg

6B13 Robeston - Westerleigh 19/1/11 at Westerleigh village foot crossing

cheers

jo