Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

Cheers Pete. It carries the line from Swindon to Bristol Parkway. Westerleigh Junction, allowing trains to head north from Parkway through Yate towards Gloucester is just to the right, as Google maps shows:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=westerleigh&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.383764,43.110352&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Westerleigh,+Bristol,+South+Gloucestershire,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.520534,-2.43139&spn=0.005848,0.02105&t=h&z=16

HTH

jo

I see they have advertised 12 90;s for salem and also the last 37/4;s are also on the tender list but no Tugs. Despite one or two just being nothing but gutted or burnt out shells

Not sure about burnt out shells.

Don't think any have suffered fire damage have they ?

A small number have had "legs out of bed", but I question whether there is much structural damage that couldn't be remedied by cleaning, painting and installing new parts.

Lovely pic by the way Jo.

I think DB red is the only decent successor Mainline "aircraft" blue.

A small number have had "legs out of bed", but I question whether there is much structural damage that couldn't be remedied by cleaning, painting and installing new parts.

Lovely pic by the way Jo.

I think DB red is the only decent successor Mainline "aircraft" blue.

Missed the incident at Chester where the green sixty went up in smoke? 60081 after engine room fire Including the vast array of cables that became one in the heat of the fire as the insulation melted ?? metal piping that's buckled and twisted the flammable stuff has gone.

60006 or 033 has fire damage I think?

Many others have simply suffered from lack of an overhaul and have been run into the ground.

Even the latest celebrity 60011 was fire damged at some point during its EWS career resulting in it being half re-painted with FGW blue.

• RMweb Premium

There were two repainted Hornby 60's in DB livery on Ebay within about three days of the real one taking to the rails. They wanted a fair old wedge for them as well which is silly when you think it is inevitable that a factory model will appear sooner or later!

The 20 offered for sale didnt find buyers,looks like DBS stuck with them for a bit longer...

If I understand it correctly, they satisfied the requirement to offer them on open sale.

Now DBS are free to sell them privately as they wish, probably for scrap.

60006 or 033 has fire damage I think?

TugTracker lists 06 & 98 as fire damaged.

IIRC the green one, 81 is similarly fire damaged as StaffsOatcake said earlier.

I heard the reason why the 20 cl60s didnt sell was because they had reserve prices which made them too expensive for scrappies. I doubt any 60s will be offered for sale until DBS have finished the 'super 60' overhauls as they can steal parts from the stored locos to put into the overhauled ones.

Hi all, don't quote me on this, even though its from a usually reliable source, but,

60's to Poland?

plus 90's to Bulgaria?

As an aside, looking at the pics earlier in the thread, how did the 60s couple to the HTAs?

I understood that the HTAs are only fitted with buckeyes.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

As an aside, looking at the pics earlier in the thread, how did the 60s couple to the HTAs?

I understood that the HTAs are only fitted with buckeyes.

Andy

A limited number of HTA's are fitted with buffers as "end" wagons and allocated to the Liverpool traffic. I'm sure the likes of Beast and/or 40044 would even have the numbers!

Cheers,

Mick

Hi all, don't quote me on this, even though its from a usually reliable source, but,

60's to Poland?

plus 90's to Bulgaria?

Andy

Ive heard about 90's and 66's moving to Poland but not 60's, I would've thought 66's would be preffered out there due to their reliability and nowadays being a recognised locomotive across Europe. The 'super 60' scheme is probably to cover for some exported 66's and for use on heavy oil and Agregate workings. I can't see DB Schenker wanting to send 60's abroad given their unreliable reputation and need for regular 'check ups' at Toton, even with a recent overhaul!! :lol:

A limited number of HTA's are fitted with buffers as "end" wagons and allocated to the Liverpool traffic. I'm sure the likes of Beast and/or 40044 would even have the numbers!

Cheers,

Mick

Can't remember the individual numbers offhand, but there are now 12 of these in total. 6 marshalled in the New Cumnock - Earles set (it has to be marshalled in sets of 6 for unloading), and 6 for LBT - Fidlers, but only 4 of these are in use at present.

If I understand it correctly, they satisfied the requirement to offer them on open sale.

Now DBS are free to sell them privately as they wish, probably for scrap.

TugTracker lists 06 & 98 as fire damaged.

IIRC the green one, 81 is similarly fire damaged as StaffsOatcake said earlier.

Didn't 81 put a leg out of bed!

Ref wnxx

05/04/05.

60081 (WCBN) was hauled to Toton last night, in convoy with 60072 and 60060, for assessment and no doubt an investigation into what caused its recent serious engine malfunction.

60's to Poland?

plus 90's to Bulgaria?

60's to Poland would be a trifle pointless. The 66 has type approval in Poland, so would only require converting to Polish standards, and commissioning on arrival. The 60 would require a complicated type approval and so on - a lengthy process

Sending spare 90's abroad is a possibilitiy, but the 86's and 87's haven't been sent to Eastern Europe en-masse. Will be interesting to see what happens to these. Freightliner may be a possibility as they were interested in them before, but with the 70's now appearing, this is perhaps less likely?

60s in Poland! :blink:

A 60 struggles to get to the South coast of England at the moment! :D

As with regard to the 90s, I think 90050 will be the first 'Skoda' to be cut-its in a rather derelict condition at Crewe EMD. DBS have flooded the market recently with locos for sale so prehaps not all of the 90s will sell.DBS couldnt find a buyer for the bulk of the 56s offered at the end of last year so the chance of them selling the 12 90s offered for sale seems unlikely,no other operator would be likely to buy them as they would need some extensive attention/possibly overhaul. Also as they are relatively 'modern' (1990s) DBS may place a reserve price on them as they did with the 60s.

Sending spare 90's abroad is a possibilitiy, but the 86's and 87's haven't been sent to Eastern Europe en-masse.

IIRC, apart from the 3 or 4 preserved examples and the 5 that have been scrapped, the whole fleet of remaining 87's has gone, or is going to Bulgaria.

Simon,

At least 17 already gone, with the remaining 10 or 11 following on (a couple for spare parts use only AFAIK).

This makes 27 or 28 out of the 36 built. (5 already scrapped and 3 in preservation).

I don't know how you missed it, as it's been well publicised and photos of Bulgarian liveried 87's in the UK have been featured in several magazines over the last few years.

Exports began in 2008 IIRC.

Ref wnxx

05/04/05.

60081 (WCBN) was hauled to Toton last night, in convoy with 60072 and 60060, for assessment and no doubt an investigation into what caused its recent serious engine malfunction.

Sure did. It was the first to go pop.

Ref wnxx

05/04/05.

It did and the and engine room fire was the result