RMweb

Bachmann announce Fowler 4F

Andy Y

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately that dosn't help if they havn't been fitted to start with. I'd like it with them, then I can buy 2 and have one with coal rails and one without, renumbering both into S&D Armstrongs.

Right. I understand the question now. I can't remembrer where (or find it again for that matter) but I am sure I have seen a picture somewhere of an engineering prototype model WITH coal rails.

Unfortunately that dosn't help if they havn't been fitted to start with. I'd like it with them, then I can buy 2 and have one with coal rails and one without, renumbering both into S&D Armstrongs.

As I recall, Bachmann supplied the Crab with the coal rails separate in the box as part of the detail pack (funnily enough, mine ended up on an Airfix 4F tender!)- Maybe they've gone the same route for the 4F?

Guest Belgian

In fact, both the Bachmann 4Fs had tender coal rails, one with a Midland tender and the other with a Fowler tender.

the thing that I noticed and don't think has been mentioned before, is that the boiler is complete 'in the round' ahead of the firebox, unlike the 3Fs boiler, which has part of the mechanism intruding. This goes to show that all those posts which say 'Bachmann (or Hornby) have such-and-such a chassis now, they can do x ' don't tally with reality - I believe there were some which assumed the 3F and 4F chassis would be identical: they don't appear to be.

JE

I would really hope that the 4F features tender pickups. The 3F doesn't, and will stall on dead frog Peco points. (Yes, there are neanderthals out here who still use dead frog DC controlled turnouts!). The Compound glides through them.

Cheers,

Peter C.

• Like 2

I would retire them now whilst they are worth 'anything' wait and you won't be able to give them away.

I'm not sure this will be the case. Don't forget the Airfix/Hornby and Bachmann locos are models of different versions of 4F. The Airfix/Hornby is a left hand drive loco with plain splashers whereas the Bachmann is a right hand drive with beaded splashers. If you want a RHD loco with plain spashers, I think it'll be easier to convert an Airfix/Hornby to RHD (if you can ignore the boiler backhead) than try to carve the splasher beading off the Bachmann model with the potential for creating a big mess !

And there will still be people that want an Airfix body to fit to a Comet chassis, and plenty of people will still want a cheap loco for kids.

• Like 2

Some time back in this thread mention of the Midland and Great Northern route appeared. In the 1950s I lived at Bourne and there was a procession of excursions running though on Saturdays and Sundays from the Midlands (Sheffield, Nottingham, Leicester and beyond) to the coast either Skegness, Hunstanton or various North Norfolk locations.

Many of these were hauled by two locomotives and these were various combinations of ex MR and LMS 4P 4-4-0s, Ex MR and LMS 4F 0-6-0s and combinations with the Ivatt 2-6-0 class 4s which of course were regulars over the route with the ex GN and LNER J6 class 0-6-0s.

Strangely the J6s didn't appear so often on these trains (cannot recall ever seeing them in fact on these duties), presumably because the trains originated in the Midlands. Ex MR and ex LMS versions of the 4F appeared double heading more often than any other combination. Watching Bourne Town playing football on Saturday afternoons also allowed me to see these trains heading through Bourne - much more exciting than the match!

JP

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

regards right hand drive Ive got a nice colour shot of right hand drive 43988, a Liverpool Walton loco acting as a pilot at Aintree on grand national day in 1962.

has warning flashes, late crest and the height gauge on the tender for the fireman under overhead wires.

this is what mine will be modelled as, when it arrives, any updates at all?

• 2 months later...

It all seems to have gone quiet on the 4F front. Any news when they are due?

Does anyone know if any of the first batch to be released were based at York? I believe there was 3 or 4 based there for a while?

• RMweb Premium

It all seems to have gone quiet on the 4F front. Any news when they are due?

I doubt anyone knows any more than you. Try the Bachmann website - they post "expected" dates that are pretty reliable and presumably once development has reached the point where a production slot is allocated.

I doubt anyone knows any more than you. Try the Bachmann website - they post "expected" dates that are pretty reliable and presumably once development has reached the point where a production slot is allocated.

Hattons have advised 43875 is due July - August this year and 43924 August - Sept 2013.........................................

• RMweb Gold

People are champing at the bit to spend their hard earned money with Bachmann and Hornby and yet the companies are not supplying the goods or re-releasing items that swiftly sold out last time.

Due,one would suspect,to circumstances beyond the control of either.However,a degree of realism would be welcomed...particularly from Hornby.Bachmann do their best to keep us posted and inform us when things go 'pear-shaped'---viz.the Modified Hall debacle recently. Meanwhile,time passes.....'When the boat come in' Which boat was that?

• Like 1

I have been speaking to a couple of traders and they are concerned at the slow pace of new models as it is really effecting thier businesses. This a comment about both the main two manufacturers!

Edited by WRLPG

• 2 months later...

OK, the $64000 question?

I'm a GE section modeller, not LM. However I possibly wish to get a Bachmann 4f, as I feel my old Airfix one is dated. I have no idea what version I'm looking for however, so where do I look?

We had 44521 allocated to March (31B) towards the end of steam, and correctly or not, the Airfix one has been renumbered. I also am incorporating a bit of M&GN flavour in my layout, so have perhaps two choices. Can anyone assist me please?

Stewart