Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I think Coachmann converted the Bachmann model to the Belpaire version and some remnants of the thread may still be around.  It involved raising the boiler pitch slightly as well as extending the bunker, for which he used privately etched parts.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Craftsman kits for the 1P & 1F had a casting for the belpaire firebox 'top' - so they do exist. I had a quick look at 247 to see if they do one but couldn't see one - other current ranges to check would be Alan Gibson or Millholme Models.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apologies for resurrecting a rather old topic: I have one of the LMS unlined black examples of this loco which has sat unused since it was bought new.  I have now decided that it is surplus to requirements and I'm planning to sell it.  My question is: can anyone tell me whether it came with a detail pack?  It has the vacuum pipes and steps fitted but I can't remember whether I fitted them from an enclosed detail pack when I bought it, or they were in place as supplied.  I'd like to be able to describe it as being in "as new" condition but if I've already done stuff to it - albeit using supplied parts - then someone might object.

9 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Apologies for resurrecting a rather old topic: I have one of the LMS unlined black examples of this loco which has sat unused since it was bought new.  I have now decided that it is surplus to requirements and I'm planning to sell it.  My question is: can anyone tell me whether it came with a detail pack?  It has the vacuum pipes and steps fitted but I can't remember whether I fitted them from an enclosed detail pack when I bought it, or they were in place as supplied.  I'd like to be able to describe it as being in "as new" condition but if I've already done stuff to it - albeit using supplied parts - then someone might object.

My un-used one has those fitted, but there is a small pack with just screw couplings in it.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Once again late to the party, but i ve got obtained an 31-169 version of the L&Y tank. As l do with all my new models, l giave it a good run around my layout. For the 1st 30 mins or so the loco ran through all the Peco code 75  point work on the layout without any issues. However after about 40 mins l noticed that the model seemed to be striking something on passing over point work. I examined the points and checked the loco, with no obvious cause found. I continued to try the loco through various points both in the facing and trailing directions, but the minor striking sound became a thump accompanied by the loco derailing. I ended up pushing the loco through the point work by hand and found the drive wheels were catching the crossing wing rails. 

I will attempt to  attached a couple of videos to show the issue, which l suspect is possible a back to back issue with the loco. 

I also ran a Bachmann 1P through the same point work without any issues

Any thoughts Gents?

https://youtu.be/V3ckOMBHCV0

https://youtu.be/9OVnjs2xqy8

https://youtu.be/RxzUR5kri2Y

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick
adding link to Videos

Oh good grief! It’s curious that it ran all right at first, then developed the fault. I noticed in one of the videos that the loco stalled rather than derailed.

I have a couple of these and the stalling gives me a hint. The leading and trailing carrying wheels are of an ingenious and complicated design, which I have found isn’t well assembled. The axles are insulated on opposite sides and pickups bear on them, which should give three wheels picking up on each side. I have found that the pickups don’t make contact, which means that only the driving wheels pick up, giving the loco a short wheelbase for pickup purposes. The solution is to take the radial trucks apart and bend the pickup strips. That should stop stalling on points. As for derailments, it might be that the radial wheels are not held down firmly enough, leading to derailments. This may not solve your problem but it’s where I would start.

That sounds simple, but the construction isn’t. Springs are ready to shoot into oblivion unless the greatest care is taken. Before starting, it might be a good idea to check that the carrying wheels are sprung and (using probes) that they do carry current. Here is a compressed picture of a radial truck taken apart. I hope you get sorted out; these are beautiful models and the miniature engineering in them is very impressive, if only they were assembled properly.

1008 Radial Trucks.jpg

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Oh good grief! It’s curious that it ran all right at first, then developed the fault. I noticed in one of the videos that the loco stalled rather than derailed.

I have a couple of these and the stalling gives me a hint. The leading and trailing carrying wheels are of an ingenious and complicated design, which I have found isn’t well assembled. The axles are insulated on opposite sides and pickups bear on them, which should give three wheels picking up on each side. I have found that the pickups don’t make contact, which means that only the driving wheels pick up, giving the loco a short wheelbase for pickup purposes. The solution is to take the radial trucks apart and bend the pickup strips. That should stop stalling on points. As for derailments, it might be that the radial wheels are not held down firmly enough, leading to derailments. This may not solve your problem but it’s where I would start.

That sounds simple, but the construction isn’t. Springs are ready to shoot into oblivion unless the greatest care is taken. Before starting, it might be a good idea to check that the carrying wheels are sprung and (using probes) that they do carry current. Here is a compressed picture of a radial truck taken apart. I hope you get sorted out; these are beautiful models and the miniature engineering in them is very impressive, if only they were assembled properly.

1008 Radial Trucks.jpg

Good morning  No Decorum

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post, its much appreciated.

I think you are right, in that the Radial trucks could be part of the problem. I ve noticed that they both seem to be electrically dead, which caused me to take a quick look at them. I noted that they can move to both vertical and horizontal plains whilst running and seem to be able to move out of line as they traverse track work . i wonder if they are not in the correct position when presented to an on coming set of points?  The stall you noticed in one of the videos, was in fact the model "catching" on something whilst passing over the point, it turned out to be the drive wheels in this case.

I ran the model very slowly over a few points and noted that it seemed to be the drive wheels that arrested progress  each time. This may have something to do with the Radial trucks not positioning the following wheel sets correctly?

However l also noticed that the loco seemed to rise up on one side as the drive wheels passed over the crossing nose of the various points, so l gently push the loco through the same crossing and found that the drive wheels would bind between the check rails.

So in conclusion l believe the back to back is out between the drive wheels, which is allowing the drive wheel to strike the crossing nose head on as it attempts to enter it. Unfortunately l do not possess back to back gauges so can not check

Sadly l will be returning this model to the retailer, such a shame, as its such a good model

Bob C