Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

Someone asked earlier about Maryport & Carlisle? I have found a picture of one at Coniston - getting closer ;)

http://chasewaterstuff.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/coniston1.jpg?w=800

There were two sheded at Barrow to work the Coniston Branch from LMS days into Nationalisation, 10644 + 10645 then numbered 50644 and 50645 they left in 1951 and 1952

Phil

• 1 month later...

Hi Tony,

I have done some photos of the installation on 1008 which I will make up into a step by step.

I have ordered some small HiBass speakers from Digitrains which I think should fit in the bunker instead of the current Sugar Cube. I will wait and see how it fits before posting the photos.

Hi, can you say which size of sugar cube speaker you fitted, please? Are you anywhere near ready to post the pictures, please? Trevor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stripped down my 2nd loco that wasn't picking up from the front and rear trucks and adjusted the wipers. I am surprised there has not been anyone else on with this problem, or maybe they have not yet noticed.

attachicon.gifL&Y 2-4-2 a.jpg

Pickup wipers are flat...

attachicon.gifL&Y 2-4-2 b.jpg

...and would be nowhere near the axle

attachicon.gifL&Y 2-4-2 c.jpg

After adjustment

attachicon.gifL&Y 2-4-2 d.jpg

Also removed the 6 pin socket as it had these gubbins underneath and will hardwire in a decoder...

attachicon.gifL&Y 2-4-2 e.jpg

Sorry, but I am coming in a bit late on this thread, and may have missed some earlier information.

Do I understand that this loco picks up power from both the driving axles and both the pony axles as well.?? i.e. all four axles.??

Thanks...Bob.

All 4 driving wheels have pickups and one wheel on each of the front and rear trucks is live to the axle which has a wiper on as seen in the pics, so pickup is from 6 wheels. If you take the wheels out make sure you replace them the right way round.

Edited by Free At Last

All 4 driving wheels have pickups and one wheel on each of the front and rear trucks is live to the axle which has a wiper on as seen in the pics, so pickup is from 6 wheels. If you take the wheels out make sure you replace them the right way round.

Got it..!!

Thanks Pete....I'll pass the info to my mate, his loco is not running well at all.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Stripped down my 2nd loco that wasn't picking up from the front and rear trucks and adjusted the wipers. I am surprised there has not been anyone else on with this problem, or maybe they have not yet noticed.

After adjustment

Also removed the 6 pin socket as it had these gubbins underneath and will hardwire in a decoder...

I've got 2 of these which have been running poorly over points and having come across this post I gathered both courage (dutch) and tools and sat down to work. Did the front wheelset first - took a while whilst I worked out where all the bits that fell out belonged but that's a different story...

Put it back together and it shorted straight away. There is a copper bus arrangement on the inside of the bottom chassis plate which seems, by way of a few "nodules", to be set up to feed solely +ve on either front or back wheel set and -ve on the other. Is this right ? I can't see any form of "split" on the wheels so that only one is picking up current.

Edited by Snofi

• 5 months later...

There is a copper bus arrangement on the inside of the bottom chassis plate which seems, by way of a few "nodules", to be set up to feed solely +ve on either front or back wheel set and -ve on the other. Is this right ?

That is how these models are set up. somewhere in this topic is an explanation. I'll have a look and get back.

RP

......Also discovered the leading and trailing wheels pick up as well as all four driving wheels. One wheel of each of the radial axles is live to its axle, one side at the front and t'other side at the rear, and passes the current to the main pick up strips in the keeper plate....a very neat arrangement. Oh, and if you decide to remove the keeper plate....beware.....the radial truck springs can fly out!

Many thanks to Bob Blood for allowing me to discover this!

After adjustment

Strange then that the axles are live to one wheel and the "springs" link up to the pickups on the keeper plate, and after this adjustment the engine now picks up from six wheels.

Hope this is of some help. sometimes things aren't exactly how they appear. I once tried to fix a U.S. outline model with a chassis block live to one polarity and it got the better of me!

RP

Either the Ratio LNWR or MR coaches could work based on the LMS's cascade practice. Better still would be to mix them up. If I recall correctly, some LNW coaches had blocks of raised panelling that would be all black in LMS fully lined livery.

It's a lovely loco that Barry Lane tried to get Bachmann to do with the first run but wasn't successful. Mine is in the post, that's 3 in hand with two to be bashed into variants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...