Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

Hi Tony,

I have done some photos of the installation on 1008 which I will make up into a step by step.

I have ordered some small HiBass speakers from Digitrains which I think should fit in the bunker instead of the current Sugar Cube. I will wait and see how it fits before posting the photos.

Cheers Peter.

Look forward to that.

Hi, mine arrived from Hattons yesterday afternoon, 50795 (weathered). Looks stunning, Bradford Manningham shed code, just right. Will make this my "pet" loco! hope to match it with Bachmanns engineers saloon when that comes out. Well worth the wait for a loco that I put on the wish list survey every year.

Reards Gerry

Also received my 50795 yesterday, not sure how i can justify it on my loosely based North London layout but there goes. I know came down to visit with my parents from Middleton Lancashire.

I seem to recall the LNWR absorbed the North London Railway. Then the L&Y went into partnership with the LNWR just prior to the Grouping. So your L&Y 2-4-2T could be justified as being drafted to the NLR lines to test its suitability. A Midland Railway Johnson 0-4-4T was tested by the LMS on the Dyserth Branch from Prestatyn in North Wales, so one really can't go far wrong with a heady mixture of imagination and modellers licence... :boast:

• Like 3

I seem to recall the LNWR absorbed the North London Railway. Then the L&Y went into partnership with the LNWR just prior to the Grouping. So your L&Y 2-4-2T could be justified as being drafted to the NLR lines to test its suitability. A Midland Railway Johnson 0-4-4T was tested by the LMS on the Dyserth Branch from Prestatyn in North Wales, so one really can't go far wrong with a heady mixture of imagination and modellers licence... :boast:

Indeed the LNWR absorbed the NLR, and tried out their locos. A NLR 4-4-0T went up to Norh Wales and was shedded off Llandudno Junction if I remember correctly. So there may have been some traffic in the other direction!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Also received my 50795 yesterday, not sure how i can justify it on my loosely based North London layout but there goes.

On a train to Victoria unexpectedly diverted to another large Manchester terminus; got lost on the way and ended up on the Midland heading for the Peak; too proud to ask for "London Road" until Derby, whence directed to Leicester; asked there for "London Road" and someone pointed up the stairs; much confusion until they were made to understand that a terminal station was wanted, when all pointed south along the main line, muttering something about "St Pancras"; that didn't sound right even in East Midlands dialect, but the starter had cleared and there was no time to quibble; off again, seemed to be taking a very long time, but no matter as the Radial had a snazzy water scoop that worked in both directions and coal was readily available from slow moving trains on the adjacent line using a long fire-iron (some of the passengers getting rather desperate however); finally reached streets of grim terraces and it started to rain; this looked more promising; ran into a terminus with a big arched roof; looked about right by all accounts; rolled smartly to a stand but seemed to be unwelcome and station staff were inexplicably tight-lipped (passengers were unsurprisingly grey-faced and walking funny); shunted and despatched again with a promptness that wouldn't have shamed the Lanky itself; signalman at Kentish Town baffled by approaching foreign-looking loco and carriages and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

There's always a rational explanation if you think hard enough.

• Like 3

On a train to Victoria unexpectedly diverted to another large Manchester terminus; got lost on the way and ended up on the Midland heading for the Peak; too proud to ask for "London Road" until Derby, whence directed to Leicester; asked there for "London Road" and someone pointed up the stairs; much confusion until they were made to understand that a terminal station was wanted, when all pointed south along the main line, muttering something about "St Pancras"; that didn't sound right even in East Midlands dialect, but the starter had cleared and there was no time to quibble; off again, seemed to be taking a very long time, but no matter as the Radial had a snazzy water scoop that worked in both directions and coal was readily available from slow moving trains on the adjacent line using a long fire-iron (some of the passengers getting rather desperate however); finally reached streets of grim terraces and it started to rain; this looked more promising; ran into a terminus with a big arched roof; looked about right by all accounts; rolled smartly to a stand but seemed to be unwelcome and station staff were inexplicably tight-lipped (passengers were unsurprisingly grey-faced and walking funny); shunted and despatched again with a promptness that wouldn't have shamed the Lanky itself; signalman at Kentish Town baffled by approaching foreign-looking loco and carriages and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

There's always a rational explanation if you think hard enough.

Thanks for all of the immagative suggestions everyone. This has to be the winner. I am about 400m from the former Haverstock Hill station so this works for me.

My layout is based on the assumption that the Lancashire and Yorkshire North Eastern Railway- proposed in the 1840's to run from Skipton

to York  via Otley, Ilkley, Wetherby via lower Wharfedale- was in fact built and subsequently absorbed by the Midland Railway. Based on this semi-fiction- more plausible than some I've read - I will be running York bound trains behind 50636.

• Like 1

My layout is based on the assumption that the Lancashire and Yorkshire North Eastern Railway- proposed in the 1840's to run from Skipton

to York  via Otley, Ilkley, Wetherby via lower Wharfedale- was in fact built and subsequently absorbed by the Midland Railway. Based on this semi-fiction- more plausible than some I've read - I will be running York bound trains behind 50636.

Welcome to RMWeb Bramhope,and thanks for the reply. Dreadnoughts and High Flyers were frequent visitors to York, so I suppose it's possible. It matters not so long as we're happy anyway does it.

Are you having Bramhope tunnel on your layout by any chance? Visited the castellated portal a couple of times, but it's a devil of a job to get to. Shocking neglect. Merry Chrismas and happy modelling.

• RMweb Premium

So who is going to be the first to renumber and weather 50636 then?

I didn't even consider going for the ready weathered one for two reasons; first, I like to choose my own decoders and second, it's a pain in the proverbial renumbering a weathered loco compared to a clean one.

I came across an elderly real Post Card this morning while looking for photos of a Belpaire Lanky 2-4-2T and thought it might be of interest. The loco is 10645 and carries a smokebox number plate together with post 1928 insignia with LMS on the tanksides and number on the bunker. This dates it around this period so the insignia is most likely gold/black. The engine retains its original features such as wrap-round handrail, smokebox door with dart and lock-up safety valves.

The five coaches are all non-corridor LMS Period one stock and appear to be a set formation consisting of a lavatory brake third, full third, lavatory composite, full third and brake third. The scene is reminicent of the level section between Failsworth, at the top of the bank from Dean Lane, and Hollinwood on the Manchester-Oldham-Rochdale loop.

post-6680-0-82941300-1387626556.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 11

I came across an elderly real Post Card this morning while looking for photos of a Belpaire Lanky 2-4-2T and thought it might be of interest. The loco is 10645 and carries a smokebox number plate together with post 1928 insignia with LMS on the tanksides and number on the bunker. This dates it around this period so the insignia is most likely gold/black. The engine retains its original features such as wrap-round handrail, smokebox door with dart and lock-up safety valves.

The five coaches are all non-corridor LMS Period one stock and appear to be a set formation consisting of a lavatory brake third, full third, lavatory composite, full third and brake third. The scene is reminicent of the level section between Failsworth, at the top of the bank from Dean Lane, and Hollinwood on the Manchester-Oldham-Rochdale loop.

attachicon.gifWEB Lanky radial real.jpg

10645 was withdrawn in November 1930 so probably in this condition.

Tony

That's a lovely old photo with lots of detail visible.

Thanks for that.

The loco appears to be completely original apart from the Hoy parallel buffers and the lamp irons. It has not been fitted with the two lower clamps on the smoke box door.

Edited by Unknown Warrior

I picked up my Lanky tank from Hattons yesterday. Lovely model, runs smoothly, and should cope with a reasonable load. I built a Cotswold(I think) kit of the larger Class 6 tank as 50925 about 30 years ago and set the two side by side. The Bachmann loco obviously has a lot more fine detail, and is vastly better below the footplate, but the old kit doesn't look that bad for its time.

Colin

Hi,

The Bachmann model has that very obvious joint on the cab roof covered (?) by the rivetted strip. Now I am sure it will be there on the preserved 1008, but has anyone seen this on a period photo of a L&Y/LMS/BR 2-4-2T in service?

It is not a feature I have ever seen modelled and seems very un-like something the L&Y would use.

Comments please!

Tony

HI 

I getting one after Christmas the early Br one, so i hope they are not all sold out!, I am going to use it on Ash Mnt.

For taking trucks out of the exchange sidings, It a lovely looking Loco and Bachmann have done well.

Roll on the Duke Dog!.

just been looking at the photos of the LMS version on Hattons' website and it does look very nice - quite tempting. Does anyone know whether any ever came anywhere near York before the last war?

AFAIK the answer is yes especially if Keighley is near enough (and the LYR did run into York).

Regards