Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

Branchline Lanky tank is no Yorkshire pudding

LY MP31224.jpg

Bachmann Branchline is to introduce its first ever OO scale 2-4-2T locomotive in the form of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 1008 Class.

Designed by Aspinall, 330 locomotives were built between 1889 and 1910. Belpaire boilers and superheated versions were developed from 1905 onwards.

The class were used extensively on local and branch line passenger services around Blackpool, Doncaster, Hull, Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield. The last of the class remained in service until 1961 with one locomotive being preserved.

Three versions are due to be introduced into the range over the next 18 months and include No. 10818 in LMS black (31-165), No. 50795 in BR lined black with early emblem (31-166) and No. 50764 in BR lined black (weathered) with early emblem and DCC ON BOARD (31-167DC).

Features of the model include;

• Highly detailed cab backhead

• Short bunker version

• 21PIN DCC socket

Each model has a recommended retail price of £79.95. The DCC ON BOARD version will have a recommended retail price of £97.45.

LY MP31225.jpg

Edited by Andy Y
Correction of designer
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I'll be pressing ahead with the London Road kit anyway (my second ever loco kit so it may not go too well) but I never in a thousand years thought there would be an RTR version released. If this encourages more people to model the Lanky then (a) it can only be a good thing and (B) I guess we'd all best start learning to weather stone built buildings until they are almost black.

• Like 1

Two of these were station pilots at Liverpool Exchange during the 1950s (until replaced by Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2Ts). They had prominent round-head rivets on the rear bunker delineating the coal/water spaces which are not on the London Road etchings so I hope Bachmann ensure they are represented on the model versions.

Splendid choice of prototype, though!

Well done Bachmann!

But please can we have some Period I, II and III ex-LMS non corridor coaches soon . . .

ATB,

Stan

Bachmann Branchline is to introduce its first ever OO scale 2-4-2T locomotive in the form of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 1008 Class.

Designed by Barton Wright....

Er... hesitates to argue with Andy... Designed by J.A.F. Aspinall, surely?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very happy Andy; how can you model Bacup without an Aspinall? I really am dreading the London Road kit after your sage advice but I had to have one....... until now that is. The kit is for a belpaire long bunker so different to the one Bachmann are planning. Theirs will probably be on sale long before mine gets made anyway and even then, it'll probably look more like Thomas the bloody Tank Engine than what it is supposed to be ;)

• Like 2

Guest Max Stafford

This really has to be the stand-out release from the whole pantheon of new offerings from Barwell. A perfect curveball right out of the blue for most of us and utterly startling in its boldness! It has to be said that modelling 'somewhere in 1950s Manchester' has just become a lot easier with the Bachmann offerings of this year and last. And probably with the DC electrics too.

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I can see two possibilities for limited edition versions:

1. In L & Y livery as preserved at the NRM;

2. The Wirral Railway bought no. 1041 (built Horwich, 1890) from the L & Y in June 1921 which became no. 6. It had coal rails added to its bunker for extra capacity. In 1923, it became LMS no. 6762 instead of logically being 10638, latterly becoming a station pilot at Preston until withdrawal in 1952.

Wirral Railway's loco livery was black lined with white, yellow and vermillion, coupling rods were either red or vermillion but all with black edging and vermillion lining; bufferbeams were vermillion with a black edge and the buffer casings were black. I haven't seen a photo of it in WR livery but a photo of it as 46762 is on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia..../L%26YR_Class_5

Very few locos from pre-grouping minor railways have been made available RTR. As I lived in New Brighton for a while, it would be a desirable addition to my collection.

Sources: Steel wheels to Deeside by John W. Gahan, p.61 (Countywise/Avon-Anglia, 1983), The Wirral Railway by Campbell Highet, p.23-24 (Oakwood Press, 1961)

I wonder if the wheelbase is the same as the Webb LNWR 2-4-2 tanks? The two locomotives look very similar.

Mark,

the wheel sizes are near enough, but the L&Y had a longer coupled and much greater overall wheelbase. There isn't a preserved example of the LNWR 2-4-2 tanks (either version) to scan, which seems to be the RTR manufacturers preferred way of creating the model, so I would have thought it think it unlikely that they'll do one.

However, other than the Great Eastern, I don't know who used this wheel configuration so we'll have to wait and see.

Jol

An interesting release this one.

One thing I have noticed is the £17 premium for chip fitted, does this mean its something better than normally fitted or a general increase in chip prices? (Or that i've just had my head in the sand concerning DCC on board RRP!)

Hmmm, don't think I would opt for DCC On Board since I have a mistrust of the major manufacturers DCC products (esp. the other manufacturer!). I think this model would benefit from the DCC Concepts decoder and stay alive capacitor.

John

Mark,

the wheel sizes are near enough, but the L&Y had a longer coupled and much greater overall wheelbase. There isn't a preserved example of the LNWR 2-4-2 tanks (either version) to scan, which seems to be the RTR manufacturers preferred way of creating the model, so I would have thought it think it unlikely that they'll do one.

However, other than the Great Eastern, I don't know who used this wheel configuration so we'll have to wait and see.

Jol

I couldn't quite work it out looking at old photos of the two classes, I'd spotted there were a number of detail differences between the two classes but not the wheelbase. I just thought it might be an easy way to try and use the chassis for a kit built Webb tank (which even I could probably master, it's difficult to mess up semi matt black even with a brush...) but never mind.

There were:

The NER. class A (LNER F8), the GCR classes 3 and 9G (LNER F1 and F2) and three ex-Colne Valley and Halsted Railway locos (LNER F9).

The first three classes might be possibles for the Aspinall chassis.

See: http://www.lner.info/locos/F/f1.shtml