TheCromptonParkinson

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon folks,

We had a chat over the Christmas break about the future for Stoating, nearing it's 1st birthday and all. I've said it before but the layout really was only supposed to do one show. However saying that, we've come to like it so much, and enjoy the exhibiting side that we don't really want to retire it just yet, but I think physically she may give up on us before we give up on her. 

Before the layout gives out the ghost completely, and with a want to follow on from the forthcoming MR article we decided to draw up a possible list of things to do, it's quite difficult knowing what to spend, or invest on a layout that has no booked exhibitions dates. We still also think any changes made need to keep it looking fresh for those who have seen it previously, thats important to us. Its not something permanently set up at home either, so it's not easy to just tap away at it. So it's finding the right balance.

I think we decided any more work on it wasn't going to be for an exhibition date (if one came through), rather to make the layout the best it can be, even if its never seen outside of Chris M's attic again. I think you can get wrapped up in making a layout all about exhibitions, it's nice to do something on it for us and for it, rather than a deadline for a show. 

Inspired by Mr. Nevard, and some others we've decided to ditch our perhaps antiquated spot lights, and go for a fluorescent tube. This should give us that early morning 'crisp' look we always wanted. When Chris N came to take the photos, his lighting rig really gave the impression we wanted to portray and I think this 3 feet tube will give us that at an exhibition.

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/lighting/indoor-lighting/spotlights___downlights/-specificproducttype-downlights/Slimline-30W-Electronic-Fluorescent-Batten-H-65mm-x-W-1025mm-12258142?skuId=12788848

For £20, I've no idea why we did not just do it in the first place, we'll do a before/after when we fit it. It's also A rated on energy if your into that sort of thing.

The trees have always been a bone of contention, we have never ever gotten around to getting some proper one's sorted. So we are going to make our own out of wire, then we can get them exactly how we want them, and they can be leafless as a tree in winter would be, rather than our big bushy examples!! They should finally be able to better help cover up those holes in the sky.

We'll see how well the lighting makes the backscene look, if it shows it up more rubbish than it already looks we may re think that one too, I particularly hate that great line up it. 

We want to give a Hornby sentinel a role in the roster, as well as fix the pannier and do some more wagons too. 

In short, there is still lots to do. 2012 has been a great year for us as modellers and people. We both settled into new jobs, I got engaged, brought my first house, we found our modelling mojos, got invited to be in Model Rail, did some exhibitions we thought above us and met some great people along the way. Not everything is attributed to that 4ft and something board, but it helped in a lot of ways.

From the crazy layout t-shirts to the broken Austerity on opening morning, we loved 2012, and we look forward to 2013 and meeting more people and explaining the secrets of cheap hairspray to the uninitiated!

Happy new year RMwebbers! 

Oly 

Just found this thread and what a superb layout this is. So simple yet so effective and I hope that one day it may venture into Wiltshire on the exhibition stage. As I have a passing interest in Austerity loco's I will look forward to developments on the motive power front and seeing loco's with lambton cabs when they eventually arrive. Hope you have a good 2013 and will be following this thread with great interest.

Regards

Philip

We spent this evening replacing the layouts spotlights with a single flourescent tube, which has dramatically improved things on the lighting front in our opinion.

Here is the layout with the original spotlight setup:

8343569430_65b3c11c39_b.jpg

And here it is with the new lighting, giving a much better spread of light and the pooling on the backscene has gone:

8343569332_c5cf329217_b.jpg

While we had the camera out the opportunity was taken to grab a few more photos of the layout:

8342510331_7bd7b23e0f_b.jpg

8343568984_2f20986b9d_b.jpg

8342509675_e00dc06897_b.jpg

8342509151_08ab6107b0_b.jpg

8343568198_c5ac326948_b.jpg

8343567634_2a97b7817a_b.jpg

8343567360_2af5469e22_b.jpg

8343567106_3114340e9b_b.jpg

8343567230_7644e62a0c_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

For those that are interested, Stoating Bank will be appearing in the next issue of Model Rail magazine (April 2013, out in late February)

Having seen Chris Nevard's amazing photos of the layout, I would say the mag is well worth buying - the photos put our above to shame!

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the best layouts I've seen in a very long time, and just goes to show what can be done with a smaller space. :)

Thank you for your kind words Daniel, part of the challenge with a small layout is resisting the temptation to fill it with track in order to set it apart from others. This is something that is commented on quite regularly at shows :)

excellent , I like the snow. Fancy some for my plank

Cheers Rob :) I don't know why snow isn't modelled more often, although ours is far from the best I have seen it still gives plenty of atmosphere..... The products used on Aberdeen Kirkhill also of this parish seem to give a slightly finer finish which is in my opinion a bit more convincing for 4mm scale.

Snow will certainly be returning on some of our future layouts!!

Cheers Rob :) I don't know why snow isn't modelled more often, although ours is far from the best I have seen it still gives plenty of atmosphere..... The products used on Aberdeen Kirkhill also of this parish seem to give a slightly finer finish which is in my opinion a bit more convincing for 4mm scale.

Snow will certainly be returning on some of our future layouts!!

Plenty of scope for a drift or two at Shankend, boys!

After seeing this layout in Model Rail, I've decided that I might have to try my hand at something similar. Curse you, chaps, you've inspired me!

DanielB, if we'd inspired someone then thats amazeballs.

I think trying to plan and build a layout for as cheap as possible really adds to the process. It's fun finding what sort of old stuff in boxes can be made better. Snow is also awesome as it's amazing how many horrors it will hide!

Oly

DanielB, if we'd inspired someone then thats amazeballs.

I think trying to plan and build a layout for as cheap as possible really adds to the process. It's fun finding what sort of old stuff in boxes can be made better. Snow is also awesome as it's amazing how many horrors it will hide!

Oly

Sorry to hijack the thread, thought you might like to see this though. Mine will be N gauge, and made to fit my existing (free I might add) cardboard baseboards.

See what you think! :)

SANY2080_zps9f34a28f.jpg

I like the concept Daniel, I guess trains come out the 2 sidings at the rear then do a double reverse to run out into the fiddleyard at the right hand side?

You might need to look at adjusting some of the gradients though, the line accross the front linking the 2 levels looks very short and would give a steep gradient even by stoating standards!! Much more than the 1 In 11 we have would cause some locos pretty serious problems with adhesion!!

It's only mock up for the moment but would be thoroughly tested first.

EDIT: The link line between the two sections is actually at least a foot long, it should be more than sufficient for the very small incline that it will eventually be. :)

Archived