TheCromptonParkinson

Two observations on working the incline:

I would have thought it would have been safer to work the trains at the lower end to minimise any breakaways.

Locos to always work chimney first on the incline. This makes it eaies for the fireman to maintain the water leve over the firebox crown.

Keep up the good work.

Gordon A

Bristol

We shall remember this! Very cool advice, thank you Gordon!

Loved this at Tonbridge. One of the few layouts that stopped me in my tracks. Well done all involved.

We weren't sure when we set it up how people would react to it, but we've been a bit blown away from some of the comments, and we thank everyone for them - so thank you 2ManySpams. It really spurs us on to make it better and to do better. We'd hate Stoating to be a one off, we'll keep trying to improve it without ruining it (I think there's a fine line, we'll no doubt need telling) and when its time is over, I can only hope the follow up reaps the same kind words. We've always wanted our modelling to be obtainable, cheap and a little bit different.

It was a joint effort between me, and 'ChrisM' who not only stayed around till one in the morning spraying hair spray on snow, he also organised the TMRC exhibition you saw it at.

But thank you guys! And hopefully, soon we might actually post some updates on how it's getting on. Some stock for it too is in the wings.

Have a great weekend,

Oly

Locos to always work chimney first on the incline. This makes it eaies for the fireman to maintain the water leve over the firebox crown.

Unless you can find a way to accurately model a loco priming hideously, I'd be minded to agree!

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to write some more down later, but was unsure what to put.

It all started just before Christmas when I got an email from a friend containing a Flickr shot of Ribble's internal class 17 shunting presflos under a silo, I wanted to model that pretty much straight away, and as most things do it got out of hand! The reason for actually going ahead with it was for no other honorable reason other than wanting to get out of a posting on catering as a TMRC member at the show.

I've always had a very keen interest in the political /industrial scene of 1970/80s Britain and a bizarre likening toward coal mining (my Great Grandad was a miner in Kent so maybe that's where it comes from). Being straight up D+E J94s and Austeritys still stirred my soul and as a child they were ever present at the nearest preserved railways. So putting all that together the ethos for Stoating bank was thought up.

We wanted something a bit different that wasn't too in your face, and Stoating is what you got, I've always had a thing for gradients and that had to be must, and it's my favorite part of it. The ethos of it is, 'if it looks right - it is right'.

I missed Tonbridge this year for the first time in ages, and really wish I'd got there now! As someone who shares your interest in the industrial scene of that era, particularly coal mining (I think I've got more miners in my family history than anything else!), you really have got that right on the money- as you say, 'if it looks right, it is right'- and it certainly does!

I hope I catch up with Stoating at a future exhibition somewhere, it's a really nice piece of work.

I missed Tonbridge this year for the first time in ages, and really wish I'd got there now! As someone who shares your interest in the industrial scene of that era, particularly coal mining (I think I've got more miners in my family history than anything else!), you really have got that right on the money- as you say, 'if it looks right, it is right'- and it certainly does!

I hope I catch up with Stoating at a future exhibition somewhere, it's a really nice piece of work.

Thank you Invicta! We should have some more information on confirmed attendances in due course, the layout has sort of entered a stasis as I've just purchased my first house and everything is gearing up toward moving in 4 weeks - cue mad cap schemes for garden railways delivering ale in G gauge TTAs soon.

Before the layout gets put to the back of the attic and surrounded by boxes and items we'd forgotten we'd ever brought I thought I'd grab some photos of stock knocking about, and to get an idea of what the next layout is going to look like...

6892431410_6c97f008b8_b.jpg

7038520449_d3b9466081_b.jpg

Seems that frozen Landie door is still giving some trouble

6892423654_605f473ae1_b.jpg

A massive gape still yawns it's ugly head in the backscene

7038528537_34104dcfac_b.jpg

Any heavier a load and Driver Billy might have trouble here

6892428344_70f9af4bcf_b.jpg

Hmmmm, those telegraph poles are straight, well at least I thought they were!

Normal service to resume after house move, some more industrial locos will hopefully be in full swing in the coming months along with some more wagons.

Thanks guys,

Oly

Hello Ramblin' RIch,

I've never heard of that railway you mention previously - but I've had a Google (http://wombournebran.../baggeridge-jct) and I see exactly where you are coming from!

I also found this lovely shot of Baggeridge Colliery shed which is awesome http://www.flickr.co...N04/5706777823/ , its not a colliery I'm familiar with at all, some more research I think.

I'll try and do a track plan later when I get back from work that'll hopefully give you a better idea of how its laid out.

A really atmospheric layout and a budget of only £200 pounds is a reall eye opener to what can be achieved! As for the Himley/Pensnett railway and the old Colliery I live a stones throw away from the line that passes through Wombourne and the Colliery is down the road to which some it still stands which is worth a visit in itself. Plus the fact it's not to far from the Severn Valley Railway...Awesome work and I look forward to the improvements and detail you add to the layout...

Jaymes

Seems that frozen Landie door is still giving some trouble...

The trick is to spray WD40 or similar on the door seals in deep winter - stops the door freezing to the rubber! I'm sure plenty of other Landy owners would agree.

• RMweb Premium

The trick is to spray WD40 or similar on the door seals in deep winter - stops the door freezing to the rubber! I'm sure plenty of other Landy owners would agree.

For that vintage it shouldn't be a problem, the doors rarely touch the seals (well mine didn't, you could see daylight :O )

Adrian

Hey! Just been reading through the articles posted. Some excellent photos. Considering you built the layout in a small time frame it's actually achieved a lot, considering for example, my own layout took about 2 years or so to complete, to have something up and running in time for an exhibition is an effort to be noted. Nice one! :D

It ponders the question if any 14s got named in NCB duty.

Nice concept, really well executed, I don't know of any class 14s being named but South Nottinghamshire Area gave all of its class 04 and 11 shunters boys names in the 60's and 70's. When I went photgraphing the Sentinel and Thomas Hill 0-6-0s at Linby Colliery in about 1985 they were just numbered though.

Nick

Nice concept, really well executed, I don't know of any class 14s being named but South Nottinghamshire Area gave all of its class 04 and 11 shunters boys names in the 60's and 70's. When I went photgraphing the Sentinel and Thomas Hill 0-6-0s at Linby Colliery in about 1985 they were just numbered though.

Nick

As a Western Region enthusiast, I have a few resources regarding their diesels of which the Class 14 made up part of their shunting yards. However I have flicked through the books I have, and can see no record of any Class 14 ever receiving a name. However I am open minded to the fact that they may have and will be pleasantly surprised to learn if this was true or not.

If there are any named, it may be likely that they've received them after withdrawal, and into heritage status (though at this moment of writing, I cannot recall how many are preserved, will have to check that and clarify later).

Cheers! :D

Nick

Thanks Nick - I don't suppose you have any shots of 04s? I have a spare bachy one burning a hole on my workbench that needs NCBing up!

Oly

Hey! Just been reading through the articles posted. Some excellent photos. Considering you built the layout in a small time frame it's actually achieved a lot, considering for example, my own layout took about 2 years or so to complete, to have something up and running in time for an exhibition is an effort to be noted. Nice one! :D

Cheers Matt! Glad you like it, its always nice to hear a compliment from fellow a TMRC member.

Thanks Nick - I don't suppose you have any shots of 04s? I have a spare bachy one burning a hole on my workbench that needs NCBing up!

Oly

Brooklands Green with half height wasp stripes on the cab end and wasp stripes around but not on the radiator grille at the front would look good?

Hello, I'll get straight into this mad musing...

Stoating has a lot of problems, but two major ones are the Bothy sidings and Bonny. The bothy sidings don't work, they never will work without ripping them up and that's not something we can do without buggering the whole caboodle up. And Bonny is just as broken as the points. So using those two knackered features, we want to turn that into something better.

For me listening to people say to us at the show that it really made them feel cold [looking at it] was a great compliment, for me when it's cold you can always see steam. The coldness I thought could maybe be amplified using static steam. The bothy scene could really be brought out using something like this and people's eyes averted away from the fact that something hasn't happened for a little while as the next train is manically made up. I've never been happy with Sleuthe steam units so I tried to think up an alternative.

To set the scene:

Bonnie's crew are sat in the dimly lit bothy awaiting their next turn of duty as the hard worked 0-6-0 sits resting, leaking steam gently, her fire burning in the cold morning light.

So this is the idea, it's all guess work, it's all badly drawn and it's properly impossible. What we don't want is for people to think the model is actually on fire gripped in the spasms of it's final death throws. So the effect needs to be right, and the smoke, well on paper could be controlled by a variable switch which controls the fan and the heat of the element. It should use 'household' items and like the layout be cheap as old chips - exactly why it won't work.

I'll properly burn the house down and melt off my right hand fingers, but I'm hoping it might be worth a pop to achieve a cameo that's a bit different without adding any extra bits onto the layout itself and crowding it to much...

Excuse the wrinkles it was scribbled on a working from the job mid shift,

So it's a stripped out Hornby J94 with an interior of plumbing with a skirt and a homemade smoke machine...

Expect details of a half finished badly made non working prototype soon (ish).

7064742591_c52127b4e1_b.jpg

And something like this (copyright to the right people):

http://yellerbelly.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/img-20110922-00121.jpg

Oly

Hello, I'll get straight into this mad musing...

Stoating has a lot of problems, but two major ones are the Bothy sidings and Bonny. The bothy sidings don't work, they never will work without ripping them up and that's not something we can do without buggering the whole caboodle up. And Bonny is just as broken as the points. So using those two knackered features, we want to turn that into something better.

For me listening to people say to us at the show that it really made them feel cold [looking at it] was a great compliment, for me when it's cold you can always see steam. The coldness I thought could maybe be amplified using static steam. The bothy scene could really be brought out using something like this and people's eyes averted away from the fact that something hasn't happened for a little while as the next train is manically made up. I've never been happy with Sleuthe steam units so I tried to think up an alternative.

To set the scene:

Bonnie's crew are sat in the dimly lit bothy awaiting their next turn of duty as the hard worked 0-6-0 sits resting, leaking steam gently, her fire burning in the cold morning light.

So this is the idea, it's all guess work, it's all badly drawn and it's properly impossible. What we don't want is for people to think the model is actually on fire gripped in the spasms of it's final death throws. So the effect needs to be right, and the smoke, well on paper could be controlled by a variable switch which controls the fan and the heat of the element. It should use 'household' items and like the layout be cheap as old chips - exactly why it won't work.

I'll properly burn the house down and melt off my right hand fingers, but I'm hoping it might be worth a pop to achieve a cameo that's a bit different without adding any extra bits onto the layout itself and crowding it to much...

Excuse the wrinkles it was scribbled on a working from the job mid shift,

So it's a stripped out Hornby J94 with an interior of plumbing with a skirt and a homemade smoke machine...

Expect details of a half finished badly made non working prototype soon (ish).

7064742591_c52127b4e1_b.jpg

And something like this (copyright to the right people):

http://yellerbelly.f...10922-00121.jpg

Oly

Now that's something I'll look forward to seeing! It's already giving me ideas in fact just thinking about it. The names Boulton and Watt come to mind for some reason! :D ^_^

Excellent idea, I'll be following progress closely! Two (fairly obvious) points:

1. As you suggested, keep it subtle. A loco stabled in the yard is unlikely to be violently emitting masses of steam (not unless the fireman fancies a boll- stiff telling off!).

2. [Pedant hat on] Not many J94s made their way into NCB service (68078 did, so there is a prototype, but not a huge amount), so I assume you meant austerity, and meant to draw the appropriate bunker? ;-)

I'd spend some time looking at photos of the real thing to see where steam leaks do occur when stationary - around the cylinders when powering, certainly, but you wouldn't want the cylinders leaking TOO badly, even with NCB 'maintained' locos!

Nice idea, but give it the sniff test first- fog machine smoke smells a lot different to the stuff that oozes out of steam locos.

I seen to remember spending an hour at Philadelphia waiting for a cab ride on no.45 which was simmering outside the shed on the main running road (effectively meaning nothing else was going to move either!) and the smell was of coal fire and warm oil.

All the very best

Les

Archived