TheCromptonParkinson

Hello,

I'd like to introduce those who are interested in my exhibition layout Stoating Bank.

Born from unnatural desires, designed in an evening, built for under £200 and using materials begged, borrowed and stolen. Stoating bank had it's first exhibition at the annual Tonbridge show this year.

Many thanks to those people who gave us the nice comments and came over for a chat. Stoating is in no way finished, she was rushed for the show and currently the photos below show her in that guise. However it gives you can idea of what it's trying to attempt.

We have some plans for the future, and to add bits to it, that while trying not to crowd it will stick in your mind for being novel - something we really wanted the layout to convey to those looking at it when we started gluing it all together.

Any questions just ask! Hope you like and it inspires others out there that maybe Industrial is a worthy modelling consideration!

6833332520_be55a1551d_b.jpg

6885734563_62aecc84ff_b.jpg

6885702833_450e88537a_b.jpg

6885724929_9788bfb186_b.jpg

6685116279_05353b7952_b.jpg

6544019089_a1757fd5c7_b.jpg

6979479923_2f3b0138e1_b.jpg

Born from unnatural desires,

** Please tell!!

designed in an evening, built for under £200 and using materials begged, borrowed and stolen.

** That is really not fair - please slow down

Lovely - just what I want to build - is there any link between higher/lower levels?

Graham Woodruff

Born from unnatural desires,

** Please tell!!

designed in an evening, built for under £200 and using materials begged, borrowed and stolen.

** That is really not fair - please slow down

Lovely - just what I want to build - is there any link between higher/lower levels?

Graham Woodruff

I was going to write some more down later, but was unsure what to put.

It all started just before Christmas when I got an email from a friend containing a Flickr shot of Ribble's internal class 17 shunting presflos under a silo, I wanted to model that pretty much straight away, and as most things do it got out of hand! The reason for actually going ahead with it was for no other honorable reason other than wanting to get out of a posting on catering as a TMRC member at the show.

I've always had a very keen interest in the political /industrial scene of 1970/80s Britain and a bizarre likening toward coal mining (my Great Grandad was a miner in Kent so maybe that's where it comes from). Being straight up D+E J94s and Austeritys still stirred my soul and as a child they were ever present at the nearest preserved railways. So putting all that together the ethos for Stoating bank was thought up.

I have a friend who is the sensible side of the brain I think I have missing, I do the mad cap planning and he sort of either says 'well maybe not that' or 'what about this instead?'. We make a good team. We found an old baseboard sitting in his attic that had been used twice before and decided to use that as a basis to build the layout on and the track plan came about on that. Its constructed entirely out of foam board and polystyrene on the wooden base, it's DC controlled through a walkabout Gaugemaster WS with inertia (makes the descent/climb quite fun).

We wanted something a bit different that wasn't too in your face, and Stoating is what you got, I've always had a thing for gradients and that had to be must, and it's my favorite part of it. The ethos of it is, 'if it looks right - it is right'. Nothing on the layout runs parallel with the baseboard, nothing is at the same height either, even if it's just a drop of half a cm. It moves and curves like I think an industrial layout should. The corners were made to look sharper with check rails to give that look we was after. It was built on the tightest of budgets, all rolling stock is eBay bargains detailed with what was around, for example the austerities are painted in Halfords car paint spray cans. (In order to keep in with my other favourite industry, they are old BL colours!)

We had no idea either, how much I think we'd love it when it was finished, when it was getting worrying (48 hrs before the show; with no grass on it) I never thought I'd enjoy it. But I fell in love with it a 2nd time at the show and seeing it now it still makes want to improve it - which I suppose is a great thing!

Here's some shots of construction:

6507314755_8fd964da62_b.jpg

6507318447_ff1a47d96f_b.jpg

6558145309_2e02720f76_b.jpg

6558144511_8fe0514d95_b.jpg

6558149457_294963a37d_b.jpg

6558157333_d1b175bff2_b.jpg

6558156557_9a5ec04dbf_b.jpg

I hope that gives you a bit more of a background into it :)

You don't want to venture down that road, I can assure you. :jester:

Easy Brother!

Very nice indeed, full of atmosphere and I feel like I'm looking at a real place.

Thanks very much,

Dave.

PS Any more exhibitions coming up?

Hehehehe - if it needs a temporary stabling point, it can migrate to the midlands for a bit - and the Stoating shed foreman will give one of those new-fangled ex-BR Swindon 650hp jobs a try-out.

Very nice indeed, full of atmosphere and I feel like I'm looking at a real place.

Thanks very much,

Dave.

PS Any more exhibitions coming up?

hi, thanks for the nice comments, sincerely that means a lot!

we have had some more invites for it (a couple more than we thought we would have!)

I believe St Albans have asked about it, Bexleyheath have, Uckfield too. So we should be out and about with some improvements this year - if at any of those shows come and say hi!

Hehehehe - if it needs a temporary stabling point, it can migrate to the midlands for a bit - and the Stoating shed foreman will give one of those new-fangled ex-BR Swindon 650hp jobs a try-out.

I'm itching to run a 14 on it - it'll properly come off on every bump and lump - but she'd look hawt on the 21 tonners.

It's interesting to see what models make the bank, so it'd be good to see that assault it full chat.

I'm itching to run a 14 on it - it'll properly come off on every bump and lump - but she'd look hawt on the 21 tonners.

It's interesting to see what models make the bank, so it'd be good to see that assault it full chat.

Bro, the NCB Blue one can go back with you for a summer loan sensation on April 28th :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Talking of migrating to the Midlands, I have to say it reminds me a great deal of the Baggeridge Junction / Himley area of the old Pennsnett Railway. I'm afraid I've stored my West Midlands books, but seem to remember a split level junction where coal wagons were exchanged from Pennsnett Railway (later NCB) to GWR / BR(WR). Your scheme immediately reminded me of that, although the system never got as far as using MGR wagons I believe.

I'd love to see a proper track plan BTW as I still can't figure if there's a connection between lower level & incline - I *think* the hole in the end scenic board suggests 2 lines sid by side...?

Talking of migrating to the Midlands, I have to say it reminds me a great deal of the Baggeridge Junction / Himley area of the old Pennsnett Railway. I'm afraid I've stored my West Midlands books, but seem to remember a split level junction where coal wagons were exchanged from Pennsnett Railway (later NCB) to GWR / BR(WR). Your scheme immediately reminded me of that, although the system never got as far as using MGR wagons I believe.

I'd love to see a proper track plan BTW as I still can't figure if there's a connection between lower level & incline - I *think* the hole in the end scenic board suggests 2 lines sid by side...?

Hello Ramblin' RIch,

I've never heard of that railway you mention previously - but I've had a Google (http://wombournebranch.posterous.com/pages/baggeridge-jct) and I see exactly where you are coming from!

I also found this lovely shot of Baggeridge Colliery shed which is awesome S0961 General View of NCB Baggeridge Colliery Shed , its not a colliery I'm familiar with at all, some more research I think.

I'll try and do a track plan later when I get back from work that'll hopefully give you a better idea of how its laid out.

6835379382_d9f203b425.jpg

Worst track plan I believe to ever have been seen - so sorry,

the entry to the scenic section (from left to right) is a sector plate all on the same level, the exit (Right hand side) is split level like this:

6558156557_9a5ec04dbf.jpg

The gradient leaving the layout continues to climb while in the fiddle yard instead of plaining out - however it makes the fiddle yard look far from level!

The layout is 1.6m x 0.6m,

and if anyone is interested the real 1:1 scale of the gradient is 1 in 11!

Lovely industrial layout shall be keeping my eye on his one I to can see a teddy on this one! vey atmospheric My Austerities are the old Airfix kits those injectors look the part are they R-T-R models

AFAIK the boys harvested some bargain RTR Austerities specifically with this project in mind. The Class 14 is excited about her forthcoming summer holiday - so watch this space in May :angel:

Lovely industrial layout shall be keeping my eye on his one I to can see a teddy on this one! vey atmospheric My Austerities are the old Airfix kits those injectors look the part are they R-T-R models

thank you! Everything on it is RTR, they're three Hornby Austerities made different by using RT models components. We are now moving into kit building a few bits and bobs, and I think next up is an Airfix body on an RT models chassis with a lambton restrictive cab - but watch this space on that one.

We want to be able to improve the layout continually through rolling stock and changes to the layout, if someone was to see it 4 times I would like them to notice something on it every time they saw it, whether it be new stock or new features. So a teddy bear defo covers that!

Archived