TheCromptonParkinson

Guest Max Stafford

And Just for 'Chard, I suggest you make up a custom set of etched plates for his 14 - Tanya... :onthequiet:

Dave.

'...granted that from some angles she

Looks a lot like Dave Hill outta Slade...'

Mateys - you get those plates on her and she'll retain them when she's back at work for me on the Canonbie opencast.

(After all, I do compare her to a Yorkshire miner, do I not) :stinker:

Given that there is approximately 0.0001mm of clearance for the pannier tank coming through the retaining walls on the low level incline, there is no hope for a class 14.....

Looking forward to the modification plan though matey!

I wonder what the new Lambton cab is like I have an Airfix kit with the old perserverence chassis and kingdom lambton cab I have a spare cab to build and 3 Airfix austerities to do so when I get my decorating finished and the layout back up I can get cracking.I would like a class 14 as they were used at Philadelphiain the late 60's early 70's but I would like to get my Taff Vale tank done

• RMweb Gold

Very nice layout which makes me want to build myself a new one to run my 00 gauge on.

I'm glad that my parts are of use to you, i need to save more money to get a austerity tank finished myself.

Hello

great looking layout. I like the concept of "less is more".

Can I ask what track work did you use, as it looks very fine, and especially the points, were they scratch built ?

Regards

Hi Chris,

The trackwork is built using Exactoscale 'Fastrack' moulded sleeper bases with C&L code 75 BH rail. Pointwork is handmade using copperclad sleepers.

HTH

I wonder what the new Lambton cab is like I have an Airfix kit with the old perserverence chassis and kingdom lambton cab I have a spare cab to build and 3 Airfix austerities to do so when I get my decorating finished and the layout back up I can get cracking.I would like a class 14 as they were used at Philadelphiain the late 60's early 70's but I would like to get my Taff Vale tank done

Simon, any chance of some pics of your colliery locos?

Very nice layout which makes me want to build myself a new one to run my 00 gauge on.

I'm glad that my parts are of use to you, i need to save more money to get a austerity tank finished myself.

Thanks Robert, your parts have been awesome, naturally it was me who email you a few weeks back through your site asking about Lambton cabs for this very layout!

I'm going to give your chassis a go in a couple of weeks - well as soon as I can locate a reasonable airfix body/kit on eBay.

Model Rail have reported that a new ltd edition model has been commissioned and details will be in next month's MR - here's hoping that maybe that is something industrial - I have my suspicious it might be.

Stunning railway which has the 'x-factor' that is so difficult to achieve!

Fantastic character and a simple track plan that would keep me happy forever- awesome!!!

I noticed big pots of pva when you were constructing- is that the best way of securing foamboard? Looking at starting yet another layout shortly and there are some fantastic deals on foamboard online- would you recommend it as a trackbed/ construction material?

Ian B

Stunning railway which has the 'x-factor' that is so difficult to achieve!

Fantastic character and a simple track plan that would keep me happy forever- awesome!!!

I noticed big pots of pva when you were constructing- is that the best way of securing foamboard? Looking at starting yet another layout shortly and there are some fantastic deals on foamboard online- would you recommend it as a trackbed/ construction material?

Ian B

Thank you Ian!

The PVA was used for sticking some base layers of Foam to the wood and mostly for the polystrene scenic sections. In all the layout is stuck together using an eye watering amount of gluegunned glue. Everything on the layout is built from foam board, the lighting rig, the backscene, the track beds, the sector plate, the fiddle yard - all of it! Hobbycraft had an offer on 5 huge sheets for £10 of something. It meant the layout could be built in record time, but we are now having some 'structural' issues with leaning which we need to shore up with some wood to keep it straight, (you wouldn't be able to really notice it unless you have a spirit level and stand well back from it - we hope!). But for a trackbed, and just about anything else, we'll be using it again. It's cheap, easy to cut, and sticks like hell with some hot glue, it easy to paint and weighs not a lot too. So in other words - a big YES as a track bed and construction material :)

• RMweb Premium

Foamboards is brilliant for all sorts of things, I use it a lot, but I've yet to try making baseboards out of it.

Looking at your structures, I recomend that you brace the trackbed by glueing a longitudinal strip (or two) vertically along the underside of the trackbase, so it is "T" shaped in section. That will hugely increase the strength. Laminating two sheets together makes for increased strength as well.

From the pictures your foamboard looks to be 5mm thickness; thats what I use, and I don't recomend using anything thinner. I tried the 3mm thickness once, but found it too flimsy to really be of any use.

Cheers, Dave.

Foamboards is brilliant for all sorts of things, I use it a lot, but I've yet to try making baseboards out of it.

Looking at your structures, I recomend that you brace the trackbed by glueing a longitudinal strip (or two) vertically along the underside of the trackbase, so it is "T" shaped in section. That will hugely increase the strength. Laminating two sheets together makes for increased strength as well.

From the pictures your foamboard looks to be 5mm thickness; thats what I use, and I don't recomend using anything thinner. I tried the 3mm thickness once, but found it too flimsy to really be of any use.

Cheers, Dave.

I think making baseboards might be a step too far, I've seen it done but watching it flex and move (as you say) I'd be weary of it but sticking it on something quite solid seems to have been ok. Never really thought of the thickness before but I can only imagine anything smaller would just not work at all.

I was having nightmares before the exhibition that the hall's lights were set at a distinct setting that caused the glue we'd used to expire and the hole layout literally fell apart before our very eyes, but it seems pretty strong with the glue used, so fingers crossed!

Thanks Robert, your parts have been awesome, naturally it was me who email you a few weeks back through your site asking about Lambton cabs for this very layout!

On which note, anyone got any more Lambton cabs hanging around? :)

Cracking layout and stock, keep it up!

Two observations on working the incline:

I would have thought it would have been safer to work the trains at the lower end to minimise any breakaways.

Locos to always work chimney first on the incline. This makes it eaies for the fireman to maintain the water leve over the firebox crown.

Keep up the good work.

Gordon A

Bristol

Archived