Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Yes, and I only suggested it as a joke!! I can't see it'll happen, as we only have Dent and KL. Now if somebody was prepared to model Settle, and someone can do Appleby.... and maybe we could have an intermediate - say a Smardale or Lunds viaduct scene (EASY!!) then we're made!

There's a newish thread in the Modelling Musings section called "Dream layout". Bit misleading - it asks for a location you'd model. I went a little off the beam with Hellifield. But we could integrate that onto the S&C (pre 1970, of course) and we're away!

Delighted to have another S&C nut, and excellent modeller (YOU) along!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have far too many dream locations - remember my trackplans list! But I admit I have been in denial over the S&C for far too long. I am pleased with myself that I have collected a fair amount of literature and a few video/dvd's in the past, it must have been a sub-conscious plan brewing all that time.

Errrrm 'excellent' have you seen my waistline!

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Evening  Jeff and all on here.  Looks like you’ve all been active on here in my absence.  Ray is just doing taxi service to take daughter home after a week at home with us, the last of the family to depart.  [Aahhhh...I here you cry!]

Catch up. I like the Lunester’s Badge.  It reminds me of the old BBC screensaver test card.

Will the LB be around as long?

Pi.  When I used Pi it was a mere fraction, 22/7. I didn’t get into decimals until £sd was withdrawn – I still have some olde currency if anyone wants to use it in a pres erved ticket office, somewhere.  :jester:  

EDIT olde - that's where the 'e' in Pie went. :mosking:

KL NEWSFLASH.  For services to numbers, Physicsman appears in the New Year Lunester’s Honours List as COUNT Jeff.  :kingchris:

Modelling. Spent part of the afternoon upstairs playing trains doing some track planning on the 6ft section of the baseboard until I retired to the sitting room to defrost.  coldsmiley.gif

Christmas.  We can still see the dining table but the sitting room floor is in danger of disappearing again under railwayana.  We a have a selection of biccy and choccy tins to empty then we’ll have some more storage space.  Three guesses where’ll end up – if you need that many!

New Year.  Have a good Lunester 2013, everyone, with lots of modelling or, better still, lots and lots of  posts about it.  :good:

Edited by southern42
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening Polly, 

Yes, it's been busy on here today - plenty to discuss, but no modelling. I'll be back in the bunker with SMP, turnouts, PVA and the soldering iron, tomorrow morning. I may even take a photo or two to keep Andy happy!

Sounds like you've been domestically busy and can now get back to normality. Thanks for the Honours award. Your total, upto and including post 2700, was 28....

Best wishes,

(Count) Jeff!

• RMweb Premium

Not sure what 'normal' is, Jeff, [apologies] Count Jeff, but I may have a bit more modelling/thinking time.

The Honours was a Lunester's voted-by-posts.  The accolades deemed it so. :toclue:  Nowt to do with me.  See, I do read them, honest.    :laugh:    :lol:

Yes, photos for AndyP on here would be welcome.

"Normal" is a setting on your clothes dryer.

(as the proud parent of two autistic boys, "normal" is a far way away from my day to day life at times...)

We've already got one intermediate station available, in the form of Long Marton.  Unfortunately, I'm a few km to the west for easy set up, being in BC, Canada.  Here we've got a modeler who has a quite nice Glasgow & South Western inspired layout, which the S&C kind of feeds towards- but he's firmly in the LMS camp, and I'm in the future, makes for joint running a bit more difficult.

Still mucking around with the signalbox bits.  I need a reliable way of counting, and unfortunately, that seems to involve a PIC of some sort, driving LED display elements.

James

Edited by peach james

• RMweb Premium

"Your total, upto and including post 2700, was 28...."

That's approx 1/9 my total posts anywhere (28/250) or 1/90 of posts on here.
Is that enlightening, or what?
Informed? Sorry. Can't see into the future.

Hi Peach James
Not normal blood pressure, then?  Not sure there's any such thing in modelling railways - I get too excited or too uptight depending on which way it's going.  Then there are places like this....serious, amusing, hilarious....with the occasional ca..l...m....i..ng.....thought to keep us all on track...

Edit late nite typos

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

RELAX......BREATHE DEEPLY......TAKE IT EASY......THINK NICE GWR THOUGHTS.....

Thought I'd just switch to calming mode, since you mentioned it!

I promise, it won't stay calm for long on here - there's going to be plenty of all those things you listed above!

James,

Apologies! How did I forget about Long Marton?

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now the big question has to be.... Has Jeff been up since 5am to turn the heaters on in the Bunker so that he can get on with some modelling????

Nice to see that there is another Signalman daft enough to be on here!

Andy G

(Sorry Andy P for getting your heart rate up! I promise nothing as interesting today!)

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, I am back at the old 9-5 or rather 7.30-3.30 in my case more often than not. I've got quite a few pages to catch up on and far too many to do now when I should be gainfully employed earning my crust.

I have noticed the old PVA v latex glue debate still takes up a few posts. You'll have to get down to that well-known DIY establishment on Portrack Lane and try some experimenting.

• RMweb Premium

Now the big question has to be.... Has Jeff been up since 5am to turn the heaters on in the Bunker so that he can get on with some modelling????

Nice to see that there is another Signalman daft enough to be on here!

Andy G

(Sorry Andy P for getting your heart rate up! I promise nothing as interesting today!)

Morning Andy.

I didn't go to bed until 3am, so it was a hard ask being up at 5! The bunker was already "relatively" warm, so I'm quite happy to go and do some work in there.

Fingers crossed that the 8F gets delivered. Coming by UPS and they always deliverer between 3-4pm round here. Nevermind!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, I am back at the old 9-5 or rather 7.30-3.30 in my case more often than not. I've got quite a few pages to catch up on and far too many to do now when I should be gainfully employed earning my crust.

I have noticed the old PVA v latex glue debate still takes up a few posts. You'll have to get down to that well-known DIY establishment on Portrack Lane and try some experimenting.

Hi Jonathan. Happy New Year! Don't work too hard - keep tuning in to the Forum. Dent Station and Trebudoc seem very good reads at the moment. At least there's something happening there!

Ballasting experiments will certainly get done. In the meantime, it's time to lay some more SMP!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

8F has arrived. It's sat on the kitchen table with the body and banking plate removed. Only problem is - the decoder hasn't been delivered yet. Drat!!

Nice-looking loco, but I have to laugh at the labelling on the box: "Heavily weathered edition"!! It's about as weathered as when it emerged from the factory where it was built!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

So.... what have I done today?

Amazing how long it takes to get back in the swing of things when you've had a bit of a break! It's about 3 weeks since I last put a piece of track down. The problem? I couldn't find all the gear I'd been using (at first) as I'd moved it to different places - the old layout room, kitchen, bunker (but not where I expected it), living room (!! what the hell was the reel of solder doing sat next to my armchair!!!!!). Cue lots of swearing - even the spiders were running for cover!

Anyway, one curved bit of SMP and a curved point were eventually laid. Hell fire, at that rate of "progress" it's going to take a few days to do what's needed! Nevermind - all fun  :O  :O .

Hopefully the decoder will arrive tomorrow, so I'll have a play...

I notice the Copydex v PVA discussion has reared its head in the Modelling Questions section. I must admit, the more I read, the more I'm convinced to use Copydex. Martin Wynne's exposition in that thread is very clear and - crucially - he puts the adhesive down first, then sprinkles on the ballast. That method always appeals to me. Jason, Jonathan - and any other Copydex users (makes you sound like a junkie!) - what dilution with water have you used (1:1?) and a wetting agent - is it needed, bearing in mind the adhesive goes down first...

Ballasting is weeks away and I'll experiment first.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

re:Ballasting.

I suggest you have a trial and see what works best for you. Your last post speaks of what I call the dry method.Paint the glue on,pour the dry ballast on and vacuum up the leftovers. I use the wet method. Ballast with dry ballast (Carrs) using a dispenser,tidy up with a finger and brush. Spray the whole lot with a mister spray with water and a drop of washing-up liquid, then with a dropper add the latex glue (Copydex) which has been let down with water plus another drop of washing-up liquid to produce a single cream consistency. A drop just goes between each sleeper and capillary action takes it to the outside of the rails.

The dry method produces a shallow ballast,whereas the wet method is deeper. PVA sets like concrete and creates noise problems, but latex doesn't.It also has some "give" in it. I use tubs of latex sold at DIY stores as Copydex comes in small expensive bottles. The DIY stuff is coarser than Copydex so needs thorough mixing with water before use in the wet method.I have never tried it on the dry method.

Another method is to use what was Johnson's Kleer floor polish now sold as Pledge. It's basically the same as the wet method but the Pledge is sprayed on rather than dilute glue dropped on. I have never tried this but will experiment before ballasting my last great project, but that could be a year (at least) away.

• Like 1

If you incorporate a scrapyard into one of your layouts I will gladly pull the Fell over to you. Hauled by my WD, of course!

And stop dribbling, man. Medication: go and breathe a few evostik fumes - does wonders for the ventilation!

Btw, Andy. Do you have a split-chassis (old Bachmann) WD or V2 in your collection at present?

Btw2: Hoping the decoder and 8F will arrive tomorrow. I'm getting excited. Just like Christmas!!!!!  :sungum:

Jeff

Hi Jeff could not get back on last night and so just catching up now.

Re WD / V2, I have the new Bachy V2 but no Split Chassis locos these days,

Enjoy the 8f and get some pics on the Viaduct mate.

All the best Andy.

Hi Jeff, I have finally waded  skipped through the last 3 pages to catch up, really great stuff, and a most enjoyable read, a lot of sensible advice on the ballasting etc, and I look forward to 2013 in a BIG BIG way.

All the best Andy. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I have finally waded  skipped through the last 3 pages to catch up, really great stuff, and a most enjoyable read, a lot of sensible advice on the ballasting etc, and I look forward to 2013 in a BIG BIG way.

All the best Andy. 

Me too Andy. How good is it going to be having trains running? And I'm really looking forward to scratchbuilding the station.

Glad you haven't any of those split-chassis jobs. I'll get a WD and probably a V2 later this year.

As soon as the decoder is fitted and the 8F re-assembled and tested, I'll get it on the viaduct with a load of wagons for a "photoshoot"!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Can't wait for those photo's...

What number is on the 8F. I'll give you an allocation history for it.

Cheers

mike

Hi Mike,

The 8F is 48706. Nice model. I'll make sure I get some photos done tomorrow.

Jeff

Hi Mike,

The 8F is 48706. Nice model. I'll make sure I get some photos done tomorrow.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

48706 allocation history:

48706 09/09/50 02/12/50 1st 9G Northwich

48706 02/12/50 31/12/50 26A Newton Heath

48706 31/12/50 05/09/59 87K Swansea Victoria

48706 05/09/59 24/08/64 87F Llanelly

48706 24/08/64 13/06/65 87F Llanelly R

48706 13/06/65 27/03/66 82F Bath Green Park

48706 27/03/66 W/DN

Looks very much like a renumbering job on the list

Notes:

1st: means first reported allocatin

R: means a re-reported detail, it could have moved to a sub shed and back without 'the paper trail'

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mike61680

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike. 

I'll leave the engine "as is" at the moment, but I'm going to try my hand at weathering at some stage (oh yes, yet another thing to have a go at). Way back - well 50-60 pages, so November!!! - this was discussed. I'll get an airbrush and have a play on some wagons....

When I have some sort of technique sorted I'll re-number more than one of my steamers and give them the grime-treatment.

Interesting, that looking at some old pics in one or two books, I've found my Jubilee "Alberta" 45562 on the line in September 67. So no renumbering needed there....

8F:  48090 at Shotlock Hill Tunnel, pulling anhydrite, November 67 / 48077 at Lunds, Sept 67 / 48743 at DENT, Aug 66 / 48537 at Ribblehead, April 66

WD 90464 at Wild Boar Fell Sept 59, WD 90243 at DENT, June 66 /

So this is very encouraging!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Mike - you may not have looked back, but "my" Jubilee refers to the picture I took on the viaduct a couple of months ago - repeated here (everyone else ignore this) just in case...

post-13778-0-17714900-1357166544_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Question time to all luners: Doe any of you lot have a Hornby Caley 4-2-2 or T9 please? If you do can you confirm what the leading bogie wheelbase is please?

I'm not sure if the Bachmann compound will fit my bill either, has anyone got one please? if you do, can you see if it picks-up on it's front bogie please (if it does what is it's wheelbase please?)

Jeff - I thought I was the only one who couldn't find anything after I had tidied up!

Does it feel good to be back in the bunker then?

Andy g

Hi Jeff,

Viaduct looks brill. Is it on KL or is it from your old layout?

I am going to recycle the viaduct from Milne and represent it as Arten Gill in due course, it will need repainting as its in shades of York stone.

You were suspicious by your relative absence yesterday I trust some serious modelling intervened and look forward to seeing the outcome.

Alberta was an S&C stalwart for many years, I bought two of them and converted one to 45600 'Bermuda' for obvious reasons, I had to get a rivetted tender top from Bachmann to complete.

Alberta's allocations

45562 * 09/09/50 28/03/64 1st 20A Leeds Holbeck

45562 28/03/64 03/12/66 w/e 55C Farnley Junction

45562 03/12/66 04/11/67 55A Leeds Holbeck

45562 04/11/67 W/DN

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Morning Mike.

The viaduct work is on (approx) pp. 9 - 25 of this thread. I built two, one for the mainline, one for a branch. I decided to change the branch (around page 50!), so that viaduct isn't being used.

I'll PM you some pics.

Thanks for the info on Alberta. Great loco - in real life and model. I was pleased to see a (relative) abundance of WDs on the photos too!! Having said all that, I pre-ordered two A4s last night..... now where are they going to go?!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Question time to all luners: Doe any of you lot have a Hornby Caley 4-2-2 or T9 please? If you do can you confirm what the leading bogie wheelbase is please?

I'm not sure if the Bachmann compound will fit my bill either, has anyone got one please? if you do, can you see if it picks-up on it's front bogie please (if it does what is it's wheelbase please?)

Jeff - I thought I was the only one who couldn't find anything after I had tidied up!

Does it feel good to be back in the bunker then?

Andy g

Yes Andy, it's nice to be doing something in there, though initially frustrating. I also had a good look round, running through my head the jobs that were going to be done over the coming months. Scary!!! But that's all part of the fun!

The really funny thing is how much extra work has been created by being urged to do it "properly" by having this thread..... And how the speed of work has offset all this by also being on the Forum and the encouragement received. 

Jeff

• Like 2