Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

A quick question what do you stick your cork to the base boards with, I am sure if I searched through all 108 pages I could find the answer but.........

Hi Billy.

I'm currently using Evostik "Impact". A light covering on the baseboard and cork, let the glue cure for 10-15 mins then fix. Very good bonding.

I've previously used PVA.

The downside of a very good bond is that the sound from the track is transferred very effectively through the cork to the baseboard, so reducing the noise-deadening effect of the cork. But in the bunker that aspect doesn't bother me!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Just to let you know BR held trials over the S&C with the BTH class 15's No's D8200+D8201 double headed. There's another good excuse to run the unusual.

Just had a few images of Dent posted to my Layout Topic page from 'DaveF' - As I said to him 'Santa came late but what a present he brought' marvellous.

Cheers

Mike.

Hi Billy.

I'm currently using Evostik "Impact". A light covering on the baseboard and cork, let the glue cure for 10-15 mins then fix. Very good bonding.

I've previously used PVA.

The downside of a very good bond is that the sound from the track is transferred very effectively through the cork to the baseboard, so reducing the noise-deadening effect of the cork. But in the bunker that aspect doesn't bother me!

Jeff

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff, right down to the shed to get sticking, think i will go with the PVA as I have got loads of the stuff, might even get some track down over the weekend

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Just to let you know BR held trials over the S&C with the BTH class 15's No's D8200+D8201 double headed. There's another good excuse to run the unusual.

Just had a few images of Dent posted to my Layout Topic page from 'DaveF' - As I said to him 'Santa came late but what a present he brought' marvellous.

Cheers

Mike.

Hi Mike.

I've just had a look at your Dent thread. I'll be doing something similar - but I've no idea what it'll come out like as I've NEVER built a building in my life from scratch. I'll be watching your every move!!

Yes, Dave's photos were excellent. No shortage of Kirkby Stephen pics, so I'm a lucky chappie!

Cheers.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff, right down to the shed to get sticking, think i will go with the PVA as I have got loads of the stuff, might even get some track down over the weekend

I forgot to add..... Evostik bonds fairly rapidly. The PVA is going to take several hours at this time of year, but it gives time for adjustment. I've used PVA to stick all my SMP track down (not the turnouts, though).

Just watch that the cork doesn't curl up - I'd add a bit of weight onto the sheet to keep it pressed down. Glad to be of help!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Copydex works just as well and keeps the flexibility and sound deadening. I've also just removed an area of foam underlay from my fiddleyard and was able to remove the foam and copydex without a trace being left - try doing that with Evostick or PVA :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I really must investigate this Copydex stuff. Too late for the cork, but certainly to be considered for the ballasting.

Jeff

I used it in a trial of various adhesives for fixing a material based ground cover which serves as grass.  In this application the adhesive will = to a varying extent - soak into the material and affect its final feel and possibly the appearance - hence my far from scientific trial.  A year on the test pieces remain as they were once the adhesive had fully dried - the pva (a 'craft' version from WHS) is hard and has penetrated the 'grass' making it equally hard as it dried.  The Copydex retains a rubbery feel and while it too penetrated the 'grass' in some places it can be brushed back to a required appearance once fully dried.  So in that application Copydex is way better than pva.

I have tried Copydex for ballasting but to be blunt didn't find it as good as pva as penetrating the ballast but I've only done a tiny length with it.  On the SWAG module the ballast if fixed with pva but the track sits on a foam rubber material  and there is noise as the pva does not link the  ballast to the board top (from this company - self-adhesive closed cell foam called Hillseal   

http://sitebuilder.yell.com/sb/show.do?p=additional&n=0&id=SB0002325144000100

• RMweb Premium

Yes Mike, it's all a bit of a minefield! I won't be ballasting for another 6 - 8 weeks, I'd guess. Maybe even longer, as the electrics then the base scenery and station structures are priorities.

Whether I use PVA or Copydex, I'll be applying the adhesive and sprinkling the ballast on afterwards - this has been discussed at length, particularly on Gordon's thread. I don't trust PVA, even with a wetting agent, to do a good job with "N gauge" ballast, when applied via the "dropper method" ie. afterwards. As you know, the sleeper depth of SMP is about half that of Peco, so deep ballasting isn't going to happen (with PVA it often produces a congealed mess anyway!!).

Some experiments will be carried out beforehand. As you'd expect, given my nature!

Btw, on the "Just can't justify it" thread in MMM, I mentioned my desire for some Castles - hinting at your earlier railtour post. Such a nice loco!

Great to hear from you - hope you are feeling happier after your experiences at the hospital! Beware low-flying trousers!!!!!  :jester:

Jeff

• Like 1

Hee Hee! No Jeff - definitely not intended to be you. It turned out that with over 16,000 3D models in stock she's the only one I have with a suitable outfit. Typical!!!!! I've just had the thought that having the outline of a loco behind her would be more appropriate, perhaps a 9F if I can find one free of copyright. Perhaps Rob would be interested? The name at the top can be changed to the name/pseudonym/obscenity (?????) of your choice. Given the current topic (ballasting) I could even produce a limited edition in shades of turn-the-air-blue!

Hi Billy

Well I started it did'nt I? So I'd better show willing. Square version coming up!

Regards to all

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

Hi Jeff and fellow Lunesters

I had some time free this afternoon while my chocolate-crazed grandaughters were out invading Lancaster with their parents, so I had a play with an official logo for the Lunesters. After all this thread is as much a social event in addition to offering some excellent modelling advice. I hope you guys will let me have your opinions, etc (but not too rude please). After all if you're going to be a Lunester you should have a badge! :)

attachicon.gif The Merry Lunesters_Web.jpg

Regards

Bill

Evo-stik impact in a confined space. I'm getting worried Jeff if it gives you pig-tails.....
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes Peter - but the Evostik makes me look SO much younger and prettier!!

Bill - I'll leave the design to your artistic judgement. A 9F or Jubilee would be great, if you can find one.

Back home, btw. Glad to be using the laptop again - the phone was ok, but a relative nightmare compared to the laptop. My own fault - I kept trying to get a wi-fi link using the wrong password!!

Btw2: 8F may be here on Wednesday, as will a Lenz 8-pin decoder. I've done a temporary fix on the DCC bus of my old layout (which I'd ripped out!) so I can give the new loco a bit of a run.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

On Bermuda Rd. I used some 2mm polystyrene 'wallpaper' then covered it with the cork and found that this helps to reduce the noise level.

Have a look on my Bermuda Rd TMD tread to see the results.

I have always used granite ballast in the past but perhaps Woodland Scenics ground foam ballast would reduce the noise even more, I'm thinking of this myself but have a lot more time than 8 weeks to decide.

Cheers

mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

On Bermuda Rd. I used some 2mm polystyrene 'wallpaper' then covered it with the cork and found that this helps to reduce the noise level.

Have a look on my Bermuda Rd TMD tread to see the results.

I have always used granite ballast in the past but perhaps Woodland Scenics ground foam ballast would reduce the noise even more, I'm thinking of this myself but have a lot more time than 8 weeks to decide.

Cheers

mike

Thanks Mike. I'm not too worried about the noise level, but I can see how it would be an issue if the layout was upstairs in a house.

I've always used Woodland Scenics, too. I'm not sure what it's made of - did someone suggest coconut shells - or maybe foam, as you say. Carrs ballast seems popular on the Forum. I've always used a medium-fine grade mix, but I'm going to use entirely fine grade this time.

As I said earlier, I'll be watching the progress with your Dent buildings. How thick is your mdf....3mm? I'm using 2mm ply as a base - though I also have a stock of 3mm - and I'll add reinforcement on the insides.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes 3mm MDF, you can get 2mm but its not as easy to get hold of and its more expensive (its used mainly by picture framers). I just didn't fancy getting the splinters from ply and when York Models said they provided MDF shells on request that sort of made up my mind.

Your welcome to follow my progress but not my mistakes !!! You may see one on my last Dent post if your sharp eyed!

To date (and that's a long time) I have actually enjoyed the construction side of modelling rather than the operation, but as time marches on I have decided to watch the trains go by for a change, I can't do that with Bermuda Road and I just got fed-up with Milne as its a figment of my imagination, I always hankered to model a real location and have several BR trackplans e.g. Llandudno Junction, Tebay, Betws-y-Coed and other Ordnance Survey plans including Skipton, you see I was working my way back up north all this time. DOH!!

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Interesting comments that tie in with my experience. A few years ago, I could get as much 2mm MDF as I needed from my local Homebase. Then it became very hard to come by. A nice material, easy to cut with a craft knife. I've not had any splinters from 2mm or 3mm ply, but the stuff I'm using is birch - it's lovely to work with, but a bit harder to cut than the MDF.

I agree about modelling a prototype. Until the current build I'd always thought the idea of "copying" somewhere was just plain stupid. But a fiction never turns out as good as something based on fact. So 90% of KL is based on Kirkby Stephen - and the research is great fun.

I won't be working to a timetable. If I get the locos and the surroundings right, that's good enough for me. I'll be settling down with a cup of coffee and watching those long freights drift on by.....

Jeff

Now that sounds like my idea of heaven! The sound of a hard working locomotive echoing across the Pennine hills long before it comes into sight around the curve, rattles through the station and heads off across the viaduct! I've got to confess I'm positively drooling here....

Bill

Hi Jeff, glad to see you are back with us and giving your best in advice and tutorial, great stuff, more pics again soon please mate.

P.S. I will send you my address for one of those wonderful Lunester stickers for my ANORACK. (it makes you look YOUNG) HAHAHAHHAhehehehehehehhe

Andy :no:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Now that sounds like my idea of heaven! The sound of a hard working locomotive echoing across the Pennine hills long before it comes into sight around the curve, rattles through the station and heads off across the viaduct! I've got to confess I'm positively drooling here....

Bill

Yep, me too!! Imagine the scene....

The down train - a 9F pulling 40 wagons of ore - heads off towards Carlisle having just made the drag over Ais gill before stopping for a rest and water refill at KL.

Meanwhile, a Jubilee sits at the platform with its rake of coaches (I can only manage 4) ready to head off towards Leeds.

And the 0-6-0 is piddling around in the goods yard doing.... what shunters do. As for the branch line...

Saliva is positively dripping. Is modelling supposed to make you rabid? :O

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, glad to see you are back with us and giving your best in advice and tutorial, great stuff, more pics again soon please mate.

P.S. I will send you my address for one of those wonderful Lunester stickers for my ANORACK. (it makes you look YOUNG) HAHAHAHHAhehehehehehehhe

Andy :no:

Hi Andy. A nice break, but good to be back to a sense of "normality" - though I've done no modelling today. I got myself a Kindle, and since I'm an avid reader I've downloaded a number of books that have been out of print for years, but available as e-books, and been scanning through them.

Next week sees a resurgence of tracklaying etc. I'll try and get you some shots of my new 8F on the viaduct, along with the final trackwork in the fiddle yard.

I had a look at the videos on T. Was there a follow-up to the one with undiluted PVA....about to be diluted?

And what's this about me looking younger? :jester:

Jeff

Yep, me too!! Imagine the scene....

The down train - a 9F pulling 40 wagons of ore - heads off towards Carlisle having just made the drag over Ais gill before stopping for a rest and water refill at KL.

Meanwhile, a Jubilee sits at the platform with its rake of coaches (I can only manage 4) ready to head off towards Leeds.

And the 0-6-0 is piddling around in the goods yard doing.... what shunters do. As for the branch line...

Saliva is positively dripping. Is modelling supposed to make you rabid? :O

Jeff

Hey! Give over! You'll have me raising the hills around Theakestone before I even get the track down! I hope you've kept enough money back for a rake of Bachmann's porthole stock for that Jubilee to pull. Lovely stuff by all accounts and due January/February! I must admit I could'nt resist and pre-ordered a rake so I'll be laying seige to my local model shop for the next few weeks.

Andy P

Lunester badges are free to all Lunesters, I'll PM you one over with your very own name on it. You can print it out on sticky-back paper, stick it on your anarak, on your layout or sellotape it to your forehead. If you print it on suitable card you could even scratch-build with it! Versatile and guaranteed to take years off you to boot!

Regards to all

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bill, I have to admit that I've not given any thought to the coach stock - aside from using my supply of Bachmann Mk Is, which I seem to have loads of.

I'm a bit ignorant in this respect, so you'll have to educate me!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I now have an oficial LUNESTER BADGE as my screen saver courtsy of Bill.

Yes I know it's 04.28 in the morning but one of our dogs wanted to go out and I could not get back to sleep so I thought I would see  what you have been up to.

Cheers Andy.