Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I take it painting and weathering the tunnel mouth is next on the agenda Jeff, so you can fit it in place? Would be a really REALLY daft thing to fit it and then try to paint it :)

Thanks! I haven't forgotten it. Honest....I'll leave it loose for the mo - I need to go and buy the acrylic paint. So many things to do in order - otherwise difficulties result.

I've just been in the bunker. No heating has been on for 6 hours, temp in there is 14C. On the other side of the wall, in the non-insulated garage bit it's 3C. And outside -1C. Pretty chuffed at that.

Jeff

Thanks! I haven't forgotten it. Honest....I'll leave it loose for the mo - I need to go and buy the acrylic paint. So many things to do in order - otherwise difficulties result.

I've just been in the bunker. No heating has been on for 6 hours, temp in there is 14C. On the other side of the wall, in the non-insulated garage bit it's 3C. And outside -1C. Pretty chuffed at that.

Jeff

Jeff

Great news that the new door is doing its job. I have one thought though. How hot will it get in there if we have a proper summer? My only concern is about the trackwork and expansion.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Great news that the new door is doing its job. I have one thought though. How hot will it get in there if we have a proper summer? My only concern is about the trackwork and expansion.

Duncan

No problems. I expect it'll stay around a steady 20C.

The insulation works both ways. Keeps the bunker warm with an inside source of heat during the winter. Reflects and keeps it relatively cool in summer. Last summer it was steady at around 20C. Before I put in all the insulation it used to reach 30C.

I've left plenty of expansion gaps in the trackwork. A metre of nickel silver rail will expand by 1mm for a 30C increase in temperature. So my gaps should suffice!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jeff

I just thought I'd better ask before you had a possible disaster.

Duncan

Thanks for asking!

If you look at a lot of layouts you'll see no expansion gaps. If you look back to page 53, post #1317, you'll see what happened to one of Larry's layouts.

I felt a bit guilty at first, including gaps. I've probably oversized them, but better safe than sorry. And you do get the occasional nice clickety-clack sound as rolling stock passes over them!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thursday is a repeat of Wednesday, posting-wise. Very, very quiet....

Not a great deal done today. I've "prepared the ground" for the filler to extend into the second arch of the viaduct - but I haven't got any plaster left! 2 x 5kg bags due tomorrow, hopefully.

I've still got 4 turnouts that aren't linked directly to the switching panel, so I think I'll wire them later this evening. Other commitments - boring ones - about to get in the way!!

Jeff

post-17870-0-77369500-1363885265.jpgI've been following the tale of Kirkby Luneside for months.  I've read every post and, sadly, check progress on a daily basis although haven't felt inclined to join in the discussions.  That is until today.  I've just been out for a 'gentle stroll' from Ribblehead to Dent Station over Blea Moor, which takes you past the three air shafts to the tunnel below, which are magnificent bits of engineering themselves.

Has any consideration been given to the placing of an air shaft on Lune Fell?  It would be a fine tribute to the navvies that forged their way under Lune Fell and add a focal point to that fell side.  I've attached a picture of one of the air shafts seemingly surrounded by Mod-Roc.  I've also added one of the northern tunnel mouth, your rendition is a work of art - it will need a sign of course Tunnel name and yards seems de rigeur for the S&C.  

Regards

Kingmoorkid  

post-17870-0-26007500-1363885314.jpgpost-17870-0-77369500-1363885265.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Now THAT is an excellent idea and the making and placing of an air shaft shouldn't be too difficult.

It would also, as you say, provide a focal point on top of the fell.

Great idea - I can incorporate this at any stage - I hope you don't want to see the interior details of the shaft!! Lol.

Great photos - I wish I'd been up there. Thanks for the comments about the portal - it needs painting and weathering before I fit it.

And welcome aboard - glad to hear you've managed to trawl your way through the twisted corridors of the KL thread!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi and welcome on board, Kingmoorkid.

Now that's what I call a Grand Lunester Entrance.  Have you been practicing?  :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

Thanks for posting those pics.  Least so we can see how brilliant Jeff's modelling is.

I guess you're ready, now, for joining in all the fun of the Lunester Gang.  Yayyyyyyy.  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Polly

Silly Lune :jester:

Thanks

Well, if you are going to make an entrance make a it memorable one.  Frankly having read 5000+ posts I'm one of those lurking Lunesters that needs to come out.  I'm a bit of a S&C afficienado my first trip on the S&C was as a 14 year old in 1973 (does that make me and Jeff the same age?) and I include a trip on the Centenary special on my many trips. 

Fantastic day today, hadn't intended to walk to Dent but calculated that I could just about make the 13:08 if I pushed it -did Blea Moor Northern portal to Dent Station in an hour, but it was tough up that final hill  (incidentally Coal Road to Garsdale closed because of snow).  Got lucky when the Guard's ticket machine was out of battery power and we couldn't transact - but how can a single from Dent to Ribblehead cost £3.20?

As the Air Shaft idea seems to be popular I've posted another picture with Ingleborough in the background.  

post-17870-0-52327800-1363891273_thumb.jpg    

Hi and welcome on board, Kingmoorkid.

Now that's what I call a Grand Lunester Entrance.  Have you been practicing?  :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

Thanks for posting those pics.  Least so we can see how brilliant Jeff's modelling is.

I guess you're ready, now, for joining in all the fun of the Lunester Gang.  Yayyyyyyy.  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Polly

Silly Lune :jester:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kingmoorkid...do you have a real name we can get to know you by?

Sounds like you are a year younger than me. I was born in December 57.

Btw, that last photo - now you're talking. Absolutely gorgeous! I assume you live in the Dales area - lucky fellow! Might be a bit whiter after the snow forecast for the next 2 days!

So - you are a Lurking Lunester no more. Welcome to the insanity - once AndyP and Polly get going it's time to hide behind the settee/sofa.... :O  :O 

Jeff 

Kingmoorkid

Welcome to the madness of the Lunesters and what a fantastic entrance.

I have to agree with Jeff, that is a brilliant idea for the top of the fell.

Hopefully you'll join in with the Lunester Lounge and also provide some more gems.

Duncan

Physicsman, on 20 Mar 2013 - 23:27, said:

No problems. I expect it'll stay around a steady 20C.

The insulation works both ways. Keeps the bunker warm with an inside source of heat during the winter. Reflects and keeps it relatively cool in summer. Last summer it was steady at around 20C. Before I put in all the insulation it used to reach 30C.

I've left plenty of expansion gaps in the trackwork. A metre of nickel silver rail will expand by 1mm for a 30C increase in temperature. So my gaps should suffice!

Jeff

Good job someone was a physics teacher; expansion and all that.

I trust the tunnel air vent will have a smoke unit fitted for added realism.

• RMweb Premium

Good job someone was a physics teacher; expansion and all that.

I trust the tunnel air vent will have a smoke unit fitted for added realism.

Hi Peter.

NickelSilver actually expands by 0.017mm per degC change. So 30C will cause 0.5mm. But I included 1-2mm to include a margin of error. The Physics does come in handy!

Smoke unit - interesting idea, but may be a bit dramatic.... fire in the tunnel!! It could be white smoke though - hey papa!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kingmoorkid...do you have a real name we can get to know you by?

Sounds like you are a year younger than me. I was born in December 57.

Btw, that last photo - now you're talking. Absolutely gorgeous! I assume you live in the Dales area - lucky fellow! Might be a bit whiter after the snow forecast for the next 2 days!

So - you are a Lurking Lunester no more. Welcome to the insanity - once AndyP and Polly get going it's time to hide behind the settee/sofa.... :O  :O

Jeff 

Is Dr Who back..............? :jester: 

• RMweb Premium

Is Dr Who back..............? :jester:

Polly - so funny that you said that. Whenever I think of that phrase I always visualise my terror as a 6-7 year old as the Daleks strutted around on my grandad's old black-and-white TV.

And yes, I DID hide behind the settee! (And that was only last night to avoid Bodgit's humour!!)...

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

White smoke eh?

Either it's Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum: Habemus Papam or a 9F on Long Meg empties.....

Is there a difference? Both are supposedly close to God!!

Jeff

I've been following the tale of Kirkby Luneside for months.  I've read every post and, sadly, check progress on a daily basis although haven't felt inclined to join in the discussions.  That is until today.  I've just been out for a 'gentle stroll' from Ribblehead to Dent Station over Blea Moor, which takes you past the three air shafts to the tunnel below, which are magnificent bits of engineering themselves.

Has any consideration been given to the placing of an air shaft on Lune Fell?  It would be a fine tribute to the navvies that forged their way under Lune Fell and add a focal point to that fell side.  I've attached a picture of one of the air shafts seemingly surrounded by Mod-Roc.  I've also added one of the northern tunnel mouth, your rendition is a work of art - it will need a sign of course Tunnel name and yards seems de rigeur for the S&C.  

Regards

Kingmoorkid  

Kingmoorkid

Welcome along to the world of Lunesterisms 

That is an awful lot of info you've taken in from this thread you must be full to bursting  :no:

I am sure we  all look forward to your contributions now that you've jumped in

Jeff

Ha Ha that sofa was a place of shelter..... Jan 59 for me so that terror through grainy TV strikes a chord.  Your assumption on my living in the Dales is pretty good, just outside actually in a town at the end of a line (I like a brain teaser).  You could deduce from the alias that I spent my youth in Carlisle, and in cycling distance from Kingmoor Yard - many happy days spent watching Peaks, Type 4s, Brush 4s, 400's, Type 2s and Birm 2s as we used to call them before computerisation and Electrification.    

My favourite working was always the Thames-Clyde express which headed northbound mid-afternoon, nearly always Peak hauled, just before the Royal Scot with its double headed class 50s.  Not quite a lifetime ago but it seems to have gone quickly. 

I also respond to Simon, there are a lot of us around from the early 60's.

As we like pictures on this thread here's the next Air Shaft spoilt by Solar Panels, a Wind turbine and some other paraphenalia, and another view of your tunnel mouth.

post-17870-0-35110200-1363900074_thumb.jpg

post-17870-0-65238900-1363900118_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That first pic looks like something from atop the Alps! Must admit - makes me wish I was up there...and there's no excuse, as I'm retired.

Your second photo is very interesting - first view of the portal I've seen taken from that angle.

As for Kingmoor/Carlisle.... well, you'll know from the thread that I'm from the other end of Cumbria.

As for your brain teaser - there are too many possibilities. Harrogate / Ripon / Skipton for starters. I'm sure you can drop another clue!

Jeff