Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Well worth doing the card one first you really wouldn't want to keep changeing the wooden one. I think you have it just right now. Nice colouring on the photo do you intend to copy that.

Don

I like the colouring, too - and it's a bit different from the grey-dominance of the viaduct. So I'll try to do something similar...whether I'll succeed is open to question!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I have just played catch up as I have been so busy of late and only had little glances on here now and again, (will I get the cane or LINES for that) :O  hahahahha.

Have you considered the length of a Bayer Garrett? for going through that hole young sir? :nono:

And did I read somewhere about some grass going down, or was that a smokescrene to keep me looking, :no:  (or was it the grass going up in pipe smoke,) :beee:  hohohohoheheheheeeee

Back Later. :no:

Bodgit, Little Weed :O

Now then Andy - let's not get TOO precipitous! Grass! I'm still applying for a second mortgage to finance the purchase!!

I think the large diesels will suffice, length-wise. Not up to a BG....too many other locos to buy (and at the price of Clans and Brits a BG would have to wait!)

I'll sort the kitchen table out in the morning and start the wood marking and cutting.

Jeff

Just a thought about clearances, Jeff. If you cut your ply to the same size as the card mock-up, and then start covering it with some sort of material for the stone texture, that 5mm is going to end up more like 4mm or even 3mm. If I understand correctly, this is going to be a bridge with an arch either side like the card mock-up. Have you considered the walls between the arches either side of the rails under the bridge? If these are straight, the minimum clearance on the outside of the curve will be in the middle. Again, it would probably be rather less than 5mm.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought about clearances, Jeff. If you cut your ply to the same size as the card mock-up, and then start covering it with some sort of material for the stone texture, that 5mm is going to end up more like 4mm or even 3mm. If I understand correctly, this is going to be a bridge with an arch either side like the card mock-up. Have you considered the walls between the arches either side of the rails under the bridge? If these are straight, the minimum clearance on the outside of the curve will be in the middle. Again, it would probably be rather less than 5mm.

Nick

Cheers Nick.

I've taken that into account - I realised when I was in the bunker this morning that my card template didn't include the stringer course overhang just below the start of the arches.

This will be built using plastic rodding, around 4mm thickness. So I've widened the portal - again(!!) - from 120mm to 128mm, 4mm each side. I'll keep the same vertical values.

The cladding would protrude 2mm at most off the ply, so 4mm to cover the stringer should be more than enough.

I really appreciate these things being pointed out. Although I'd spotted this one, I've missed things in the past, leading to difficulties.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

For completeness - and since I've made a few changes - it would probably be a good idea if I re-drew the portal plan with the values I'm finally (ha ha) going to use.

For my own use, really - as I've so many bits of scribbled paper that it's getting confusing. So here it is:

post-13778-0-88973600-1365955447_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now then Andy - let's not get TOO precipitous! Grass! I'm still applying for a second mortgage to finance the purchase!!

I think the large diesels will suffice, length-wise. Not up to a BG....too many other locos to buy (and at the price of Clans and Brits a BG would have to wait!)

I'll sort the kitchen table out in the morning and start the wood marking and cutting.

Jeff

KITCHEN?????????

What happened to the work bench?  :jester:

I like your latest drawing of the bridge.  I suspect you're planning the build itself as you're going along.

Doing the same at this end with my engine shed mockup as I stumble across the problems while taking short cuts - final one to be based on original GWR drawings.  Waiting for the PVA to dry before proceeding further.  Hopefully, I'll get the roof sections on tonight.... Pretty basic bodge construction so that I can see how it will look on the baseboard.  Oh, and by the way - it's on the kitchen table under layers of newspaper. :sarcastichand:

Anyway, enough of GWRoad.  KL will look champion with that bridge. I was wondering if those gorgeous colours will be brought out as if lit by sunlight.  I don't ask for much... :mosking:

Keep up the good excellent work, Jeff.

Pollysell

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly,

Thanks for your usual positive batch of comments.

The main variable in the build was the dimensions. If the bridge/viaduct had been on any of the other curved sections of the layout it'd have been easier as the curvatures there are a lot less. Funny saying that - 30" radius as "tight".... my last layout had a largest radius of 24"!!!!!

I've got the sequence for building up the bridge profile well sorted. Then it's just a case of plastikard etc. This is the straightforward bit - along with the "partner" bridge that straddles the branch line. I can build the bridges and complete the cuttings etc, but then comes the tricky bit...adding the aqueduct.

I've got some DAS on order, so over the next couple of weeks I'm going to have a go at building a bit of stone-walling. If I can get that sorted then it can be added, in situ, on top of the bridges....

Great fun and a change from mass-plastering/wiring/track-laying/wood-cutting......!!!!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just had a thought here, are you going to make the bridge on the branch single or double track width? The reason I ask is that a lot of single tracked lines were built with double tracked bridges so that the expansion would be easy. Not often modelled either..

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Just had a thought here, are you going to make the bridge on the branch single or double track width? The reason I ask is that a lot of single tracked lines were built with double tracked bridges so that the expansion would be easy. Not often modelled either..

Andy G

If you look back to post # 5744 you'll see that I've built the branch cutting as a single track event. I was planning to build a single track bridge along the lines of 

http://www.foscl.org.uk/sites/foscl.org.uk/files/imagecache/scrca_image_720/scrca/images-drupal/995/2013-02-21/258940_2013-02-21_KNu_BU_Bridge-126-Shaw-Paddock_Elevation-W-07.jpg

across it....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ok, so I missed that Jeff! BTW that bridge is a cattle creep, so be careful on how you scale it! Maybe you should just narrow up the one you are doing now, so that there is a resemblance between the two?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Ok, so I missed that Jeff! BTW that bridge is a cattle creep, so be careful on how you scale it! Maybe you should just narrow up the one you are doing now, so that there is a resemblance between the two?

Andy G

Yes, but I like the structure of the bridge... actually not too different to the double bridge.

You've sussed me out though, Andy. The space available allows a scaled-down version of the double..... by about a factor of 0.7. So it is highly likely that the branch bridge will be a "mini me" of the main line one.

I love that cattle-creep... so much detail for such a utilitarian structure.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

These days it would just be a plain concrete beam on concrete abutments, no style, no grace. We have truely slipped into the period where we know the value of everything, yet the value of nothing.....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

These days it would just be a plain concrete beam on concrete abutments, no style, no grace. We have truely slipped into the period where we know the value of everything, yet the value of nothing.....

Andy G

I'm sure you are right, Andy. I guess everything is run by accountants and functionality is far more important than appearance.

Imagine what a pig's ear Ribblehead, Arten Gill, Smardale etc would look if built today!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, God evening, well I have been out of action for a few days with a lot on my mind, still railway related, but writing articles :mail: :mail:  and talking photos of my backscenes, :offtopic:  I have done one with the Air Brush as well so I hope that works out OK.

Anyway to my point for all this is that I have come on here tonight and started reading about a Cattle Creep, the last time I was on here we were discussing the Aquaduct, SO I AM OFF :dancer: :dancer: , I will start again from a couple of pages back and see wher this has come from and then maybe, (just maybe) I can re join the conversation :read: :read:

Confused AGAIN, it don't take much do it guv :ireful: :banghead:

• RMweb Premium

Quite ok Andy. The plan is to build the 2 bridges and put the aqueduct over the top of them....

The discussion has turned on the design of the bridges - one of the photos I've been looking at turns out to be a cattle creep rather than a bona fide rail bridge.

I'm sure you've got it sorted now!

AND - you've reached your 3000 posts. Well done!!!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning (just) Jeff. A bit quiet on here again. Are Lunesters out in the SUN tending their gardens? Am following the aqueduct/tunnel/cattle creep with interest but a little confused but expect things will become clearer. I like railways where the track goes under and over structures.

I see that Andy in 5891 has elevated you to god status now, that's something to live up to!

• RMweb Premium

I'm working but have also managed to renumber Black Five 45393 to 45026 (a Manchester based Five) and change the crest from lion-on-wheel to totem. When I find the front steps (or procure some more), I'll be weathering it.

• RMweb Premium

I'm working but have also managed to renumber Black Five 45393 to 45026 (a Manchester based Five) and change the crest from lion-on-wheel to totem. When I find the front steps (or procure some more), I'll be weathering it.

Good to hear from a man who has his priorities right!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning (just) Jeff. A bit quiet on here again. Are Lunesters out in the SUN tending their gardens? Am following the aqueduct/tunnel/cattle creep with interest but a little confused but expect things will become clearer. I like railways where the track goes under and over structures.

I see that Andy in 5891 has elevated you to god status now, that's something to live up to!

No cattle creeps in my design, Jonathan. One of the bridges I'm using as a template is a cattle creep.... not a rail-crossing bridge.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Wood-cutting has started.

If you refer to the diagram in post # 5882....

The photo shows the two 12mm blocks which will form the backbone of the structure. These extend from ground level to a height of 84mm on the diagram.

The 84mm height is the level of the roadbed on which the aqueduct will sit.

post-13778-0-17818200-1366029048_thumb.jpg

The 12mm will be fronted by a series of 3mm fascias. I'm drawing up and cutting these at the moment. Photos in a little while!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Fascia boards use 3mm ply. Profile of bridge drawn on...

post-13778-0-21361400-1366032033_thumb.jpg

The 2 boards are cut out...

post-13778-0-83453300-1366032037_thumb.jpg

Then stuck onto the 12mm base:

post-13778-0-55668200-1366032043_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-04717400-1366032050_thumb.jpg

Now I'll wait for the PVA to dry before smoothing down and proceeding onto the next bit.

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Jonathan, I missed that :O  O dear, :no:  means I get more cream cakes from him now by creaping, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  hhahheheeee

Hi Jason, you can't have to many Black 5's, :O  the same for Jubilees, :no: Duchess's :no: Patriots :no:   Oh DEAR the list is endless. :stinker: :stinker:

Bodgit :sungum: :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see yet more heavy engineering by the Lord Lunester again! I wish I could get on with wood as well as you Jeff, but it just doesn't like me!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason, you can't have to many Black 5's, :O  the same for Jubilees, :no: Duchess's :no: Patriots :no:   Oh DEAR the list is endless. :stinker: :stinker:

Bodgit :sungum: :sungum:

The list may be endless, but isn't it fun buying the damn things?

We must appear insane to the outider who doesn't see the attraction!!

Jeff