Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Oh you never stop learn Jeff! Over on my Castle build (not that sort of Castle, this ones the real one, none of that Copper-Capped nonsense!) I've just taken apart some bits I did earlier in the week, a) because they got in the way and I couldn't cut them neatly and b) beacuse the shape they had set in wasn't quite right. If you read through you may get the impression that I have built a loco before, but no, this is build number one (loco wise) and I'm guessing how to do most of it!

Everyday is a school day.

(BTW 250v to door knobs will also land you in the nick and darkness! Electricity supply regulations and hurting criminals...)

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, I agree with Jason, the Hornby buildings can be a bit on the crude side and while they can be customised a la Larry Goddard, I am sure you will be able to out-detail any ready to use stuff that is available and enjoy the pleasure that comes from doing it yourself.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, I agree with Jason, the Hornby buildings can be a bit on the crude side and while they can be customised a la Larry Goddard, I am sure you will be able to out-detail any ready to use stuff that is available and enjoy the pleasure that comes from doing it yourself.

I've never constructed buildings before, so - like Andy with his loco - it'll all be new to me.

I think it's just a case of enjoying the experience and learning from mistakes. I'll certainly try to get plenty of detail in! I'm sure I can rely on Jason for a few hints and tips as I go along...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Another convoluted day that'll keep me away from modelling until this evening!

I'll try and get some more done on the second bridge fascia, at which point the two parts can be connected together. I've got a kg of DAS clay, so I'll make up a jig for manufacturing strips of walling stones. Then the fun really starts....one stone, two stones, 865 stones, 6732 stones.........

Jeff

Why settle for a mere 250V ?  Go the whole hog, get a cattle/horse fence generator (for electric fences) and tag that up.  If that doesn't settle them from trying to get into the shed, they are on the "hard to deter" part.  At that point, even Mr 12 and rock salt is unlikely to deter...you need the full meal deal, which gets you in trouble except in the US.

I'm glad that I have no real concerns about security- we've a dog, and 22 km to the nearest town...keeps the scrote population to a minimum.  If someone is going to travel 22 km to nick stuff, the're going to do a good job of it...and frankly, those type people are probably already in the plod's list of ppl to investigate.  I'd be far angrier about the trashing of the layout than the out and out theft of stock, as I can buy more stock, but rebuilding the layout(s) would be most aggrovating.

James

When I move and get a Shed or Garage I will put Steel Gate, the sport you get from Garden Centres along with a huge Chain and Padlock the sort that is used to secure Motor cylcles  inside the normal door and that should slow down any little scroutes.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's 8pm and I can finally try and get some modelling done. Bit of a wasted day so I've got to try and make up for it!!

Thanks for the "scrote" discussion. Good to see that Jenny's stuff has been returned.

Jeff

Hi Jeff and all,

Just to let you know a feature on scratchbuilding an Anhydrite wagon is in this May's Railway Modeller. I can't see me doing 40 of them so I'll await the RTR version from somebody, hopefully, wishfully, sigh!!!

Don't forget to do the wish list everyone, the Anhydrite wagon is in the BR wagon section.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff and all,

Just to let you know a feature on scratchbuilding an Anhydrite wagon is in this May's Railway Modeller. I can't see me doing 40 of them so I'll await the RTR version from somebody, hopefully, wishfully, sigh!!!

Don't forget to do the wish list everyone, the Anhydrite wagon is in the BR wagon section.

Evening Mike.

No, 40 of those would be even more of a "labour of love" than all the miles of stone walling we each have to do!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've managed to get the second fascia to a comparable stage as the first.

Both need copings and a bit more walling on the insides of the pillars - followed by a bit of filler and rubbing down.

Then the arch ring needs "scoring" and a keystone adding.

post-13778-0-63229700-1366229505_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 5

I've managed to get the second fascia to a comparable stage as the first.

Both need copings and a bit more walling on the insides of the pillars - followed by a bit of filler and rubbing down.

Then the arch ring needs "scoring" and a keystone adding.

attachicon.gif100_2982.JPG

Jeff

Jeff

I'm still monitoring progress (or lurking) but been a bit busy in past couple of weeks - glad to see the Air Shaft for Lune Fell is still in the pipeline.  Anyway progress on the bridge/aqueduct is going well, couple of interesting comments in previous threads about finish - so thought I'd attach photo of overbridge at Gargrave Station which isn't a million miles from your design and has a wonderful 'patna' after 150 years of weathering.

post-17870-0-25363100-1366230774_thumb.jpg  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Simon, remarkably similar to the bridge that I'm building.

I'll use your photo, along with the Blea Moor north one you posted a while back, when I come to painting both bridge and tunnel.

They basically show the randomness of the weathering and the rich variation of brown, grey and black that can be chucked into the painting pot.

Many thanks!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Interesting the one in the photo although very similar has a complex curve to the arch whereas Jeff's has a simple arch. The arch therefore springs from lower down than Jeffs. both look quite natural so is this a simple design choice?

Don

• RMweb Premium

Interesting the one in the photo although very similar has a complex curve to the arch whereas Jeff's has a simple arch. The arch therefore springs from lower down than Jeffs. both look quite natural so is this a simple design choice?

Don

Don, the simple answer is that my model was based on the prototype linked a couple of pages back:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6086/6062134035_e6828c0bed_z.jpg

The arch was pushed up a bit to ensure adequate clearance for locos.

If Simon had published his photo a week earlier I'd have based my model on the Gargrave bridge. Very nice structure.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering why the designers chose different different shaped arches. Whether it was due to some civil engineering reason or just the whim of the designers. As modellers we tend to do as you have done pick a subject that appeals and model that. There could however be more to it perhaps something to do with the support the ground structure gives to the abutments. 

Don

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering why the designers chose different different shaped arches. Whether it was due to some civil engineering reason or just the whim of the designers. As modellers we tend to do as you have done pick a subject that appeals and model that. There could however be more to it perhaps something to do with the support the ground structure gives to the abutments. 

Don

Yes, I see what you mean. I do prefer the Gargrave arch design, but having said that many of the weathered stone bridges look superb - wherever they are on the network!

One interesting feature on both bridges ("mine" and "Simon's") is the lack of a keystone in the centre of the arch. I'm undecided what to do about that!

Jeff

...One interesting feature on both bridges ("mine" and "Simon's") is the lack of a keystone in the centre of the arch. I'm undecided what to do about that!

Jeff, I think you mean they don't have a decorated keystone. In any arch composed of voussoirs, the central stone is the keystone. In well over two thousand years of arch building you'll find that only a very small minority have decorated keystones.

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I think you mean they don't have a decorated keystone. In any arch composed of voussoirs, the central stone is the keystone. In well over two thousand years of arch building you'll find that only a very small minority have decorated keystones.

Nick

Yes, Nick. The viaducts and rail bridges sometimes have a central highlighted keystone, often made a little larger than the rest. I have to admit that this is the first bridge I've modelled where the prototypes I've studied don't have this feature.

"Go with the prototype" is always the rule - so I will!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

The bridge looks good, pleased to see you sorted your clearance problem. As long as you can get a Peak and a class 40 passed you will be right.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

The bridge looks good, pleased to see you sorted your clearance problem. As long as you can get a Peak and a class 40 passed you will be right.

Cheers Peter.

Cheers Peter.

Bridge is progressing - still a bit rough....needs rubbing down....and other bits to add. The clearance seems ok, and I only had to take minor liberties with the dimensions.

I keep thinking of the bridge as a tunnel - I suppose the fascias are similar. I won't be able to fit the bridge(s) in place until I've sorted out the rock faces in the cuttings.

Anyway, all good fun!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Keystone is a bit of a misnomer they are all needed. On a gothic arch the keystone at the top needed to be a different shape to those up the sides of the arch which is probably where it comes from. Whereas on Mr Brunel's very flat arches they are all very similar.

Don

Simon, remarkably similar to the bridge that I'm building.

I'll use your photo, along with the Blea Moor north one you posted a while back, when I come to painting both bridge and tunnel.

They basically show the randomness of the weathering and the rich variation of brown, grey and black that can be chucked into the painting pot.

Many thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff and not forgeting, Pink, Green, Yellow, and Purple, look they are all in there, wonderful pic.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I see you are now having a Keystone debate, it is as bad as my WATER, HAHHAAAA.

I do like the work you are doing on the bridge though mate, very nice.

Bodgit 

Evening Andy.

We have to talk about something.... while I watch the glue dry... literally! Water, keystones, grass..... what would life be without trivia!!!?

Anyway, I've got some more plastikard fixed on with evostik. When it sets - in the morning - I can get some lovely model filler onto the fascias. When that's set and rubbed down I can join the 2 sections - all the wood is cut.

Aside from painting it, I hope this bridge will be finished by the end of the weekend. Then onto the branch bridge..... Then I'll do some stone walling experiments.

Glad you noticed Alan's N gauge S&C. He was one of the first to comment on KL, way back in March 2012. Great layout he has.

Jeff