Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see yet more heavy engineering by the Lord Lunester again! I wish I could get on with wood as well as you Jeff, but it just doesn't like me!

Andy

I love building these structures, Andy. Jason was trying to get me to build a road overbridge for months - I really wanted to do it for the fun of the construction. It never came off, so the chance to build the bridges/aqueduct was too good to miss.

If only I could fit another viaduct in. Hang on, couldn't we have the Lune Dam, right in the middle of the Fell!!   :O  :O  :no:

And I mustn't forget Simon's air vent in the vicinity of the tunnel!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A bit more engineering!

Strips of 3mm ply - 2 deep - fixed to the front fascia board to represent the vertical pier supports at either side of the portal.

post-13778-0-56629500-1366052325_thumb.jpg

When the PVA is dry I'dd add the next layer. And so on...

Jeff

The list may be endless, but isn't it fun buying the damn things?

We must appear insane to the outider who doesn't see the attraction!!

Jeff

Hi all in relation to what has happened to poor Jenny, and NOW FOR A SECOND TIME in as many days having her Layout TRASHED is trully dispicable and we MUST ensure our stock is properly secure and insured for NEW for OLD.

Andy

EDIT =  SORRY Jeff for being serious and off Topic for a moment, but she is such a nice person and we had a chat at the GCR Nottingham show last year and she is so enthusiastic about her layouts, she is a gem.

Edited by Andrew P

A bit more engineering!

Strips of 3mm ply - 2 deep - fixed to the front fascia board to represent the vertical pier supports at either side of the portal.

attachicon.gif100_2960.JPG

When the PVA is dry I'dd add the next layer. And so on...

Jeff

Evening Jeff the bridge bits look good mate, you are so clever at first drawing them (although I came top of the class in Technicle Drawing at School) and then cutting them out of wood and hey look just like the drawing, BRILLIANT STUFF.

Bodge the Bodger not the Lodger. :O

• RMweb Premium

Hi all in relation to what has happened to poor Jenny, and NOW FOR A SECOND TIME in as many days having her Layout TRASHED is trully dispicable and we MUST ensure our stock is properly secure and insured for NEW for OLD.

Andy

EDIT =  SORRY Jeff for being serious and off Topic for a moment, but she is such a nice person and we had a chat at the GCR Nottingham show last year and she is so enthusiastic about her layouts, she is a gem.

No need to apologise Andy. I was really shocked when you mentioned it in the Lounge last night. In fact, I've been thinking a few times today of what the British "justice" system should do to the perpetrators. It involves saying goodbye to private parts FOR STARTERS.

Really makes you think. What Max Stafford (Dave) said on Jenny's thread would sum up the feelings of most of us. Until they change the law you aren't responsible for what your dogs do to people - as in the death of the 14 year old girl recently. Maybe we should all have a bull mastiff or two for any trespassers?

No, Andy. You are NOT off topic.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff the bridge bits look good mate, you are so clever at first drawing them (although I came top of the class in Technicle Drawing at School) and then cutting them out of wood and hey look just like the drawing, BRILLIANT STUFF.

Bodge the Bodger not the Lodger. :O

Back ON topic, I'm sat with the dried bridge bits planning out how to fit the arch rings, stringer courses and stonework. Should be ok, but I need 80thou plain plastikard for best effect - just ordered some.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, I can see what you're up to now, just was a bit confused by talk of cattle creeps and tunnels.

Regarding Jenny, I am just glad I opted for the loft rather than a shed in the garden, but then some folks do not get the choice and while in a perfect world we shouldn't have to think about security, we don't live in a perfect world. Humans are the most greedy creatures on the planet and as my old grand-dad used to say, hungry when their bellies are full.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, I can see what you're up to now, just was a bit confused by talk of cattle creeps and tunnels.

Regarding Jenny, I am just glad I opted for the loft rather than a shed in the garden, but then some folks do not get the choice and while in a perfect world we shouldn't have to think about security, we don't live in a perfect world. Humans are the most greedy creatures on the planet and as my old grand-dad used to say, hungry when their bellies are full.

Glad you've now received clarification and enlightenment, Jonathan!!

What annoys me about some people is their inability to cope with someone having something that they haven't - even when it's clear that the person has worked very hard to get that something. And the urge to destroy just for the sake of it seems to be an inbuilt human trait.

Anyway, hope to create a bit more on the bridges today. No specific schedule - we'll see what (if anything!) happens.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, have you got a production line going for the bridges? So when you have got to a stage where you need to let it dry, you have the other to get on with...

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The bridge has to "carry" a dirt track as well as the aqueduct. The width from maps and photos is around the 26' - 30' mark. To give myself space I've gone for the upper end. The first 2 photos show the bridges size - it will have a 6mm "deck", as shown. This isn't attached at the mo - for illustrative purposes only!

post-13778-0-93229600-1366130080_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-05893500-1366130084_thumb.jpg

Here is the main line bridge in its operating position along with a little "traffic"...

post-13778-0-36652000-1366130088_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-62378900-1366130092_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-38847800-1366130097_thumb.jpg

Off to do a bit of Chemistry/Physics tutoring in a minute, so I'll maybe start on the other fascia later tonight.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, have you got a production line going for the bridges? So when you have got to a stage where you need to let it dry, you have the other to get on with...

Andy

Kind of.... There's a lot of 3mm ply cutting here, so I do that while the glue dries. I'm now onto evostik which is a lot faster than PVA. I find that evostik bonds plastikard to wood extremely well. PVA works too - it just takes ages to cure.

Jeff

Jeff

That's looking good. :sungum: The attention to detail is realy showing.

The way you're going with scratch building, it won't be long before you tackle a wagon or two and then a loco. :jester:

Duncan

Before I go, I'll say "Hi Chip!"

I hope the photos are to your liking!!  :sungum:  :jester:

Jeff

Hi Jeff

They most certainly are, loving them.

The way you go about these projects is fantastic, you make it look so easy.

Very very impressed

Seeing the results you get from building your bridges and viaducts is brilliant, one day I'll maybe pluck up the courage and have a go myself.

Also Duncan's "rusty" water tower is so realistic.

Keep up the splendid work and I'll keep lurking

Chip.

Hi Jeff,

Just having a 'look in' to check on your civil engineering progress as promised.......looking good.

I must have missed the detail on Jenny's problems and I sympathise with her entirely. The problem is; insurance will not cover you once you get anything worthwhile to cover. As soon as you detail a figure of about say £20k for model railway items they shudder and the get-out clauses are dictated verbatim. We 'OO' modellers have it bad enough but just consider those who model in 'O' or Gauge '1'    Bloody frightening!   Good security is the best answer, something like 250v to the doors and windows works for me!

Hi Jeff, I am NOT A HAPPY BUNNY :nono: :nono:

The more I see your scratch building with the Viaduct and now that Bridge the more I want to have a go next time.

George and you have a lot to answer for. :O

Disgruntled of Swad :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Just having a 'look in' to check on your civil engineering progress as promised.......looking good.

I must have missed the detail on Jenny's problems and I sympathise with her entirely. The problem is; insurance will not cover you once you get anything worthwhile to cover. As soon as you detail a figure of about say £20k for model railway items they shudder and the get-out clauses are dictated verbatim. We 'OO' modellers have it bad enough but just consider those who model in 'O' or Gauge '1'    Bloody frightening!   Good security is the best answer, something like 250v to the doors and windows works for me!

What you say is quite correct, Mike.

Though I'd prefer to apply 250V (or more) to certain anatomical parts of anyone caught in the act. Having said that, I'm sure the pet rotweiler would be partial to some sweetmeats!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I am NOT A HAPPY BUNNY :nono: :nono:

The more I see your scratch building with the Viaduct and now that Bridge the more I want to have a go next time.

George and you have a lot to answer for. :O

Disgruntled of Swad :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Hi Jeff

They most certainly are, loving them.

The way you go about these projects is fantastic, you make it look so easy.

Very very impressed

Seeing the results you get from building your bridges and viaducts is brilliant, one day I'll maybe pluck up the courage and have a go myself.

Also Duncan's "rusty" water tower is so realistic.

Keep up the splendid work and I'll keep lurking

Chip.

There's a simple key to all of this. Break the structure down into lots of simple elements, then assemble the elements together (It was Al who gave me this pearl of wisdom, btw).

Before the viaduct I'd have run a mile. But with a step-by-step approach, most structures can be made to resemble the prototype.

Andy - what you achieve with your backscenes and layout plans is just as "difficult". I suppose we all enjoy different things.

I've got a Hornby model of Dent Station. It's very nice - bought it last summer and was going to use it on KL. Wouldn't dream of doing so now. Why? Well, the detail I can achieve won't be as good as the Hornby. But mine will be unique, with the character I put into it. And great fun to build! We all make mistakes - for instance, I ripped the stone facing off the fascia this morning and did it again. It looked ok at 1am, but in daylight I wasn't happy with it. We should never be afraid to make mistakes - and learn from them.

Btw Andy. I'm an amateur compared to George and Jason!!

Chip - keep lurking and, hopefully, enjoying. I appreciate your comments.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't be so sure about not being able to better the Skaledale model Jeff. I haven't seen one up close admittedly but if it is like the ones I have seen then you should be able to better it. Of course, in a few months time, I will be able to give you hands on tutorials when I venture up the motorway with boxes full of locos and stock :)

After that will come passing on the knowledge of hacking Black Fives to bits, weathering (if I have mastered it by then), track building, etc.

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't be so sure about not being able to better the Skaledale model Jeff. I haven't seen one up close admittedly but if it is like the ones I have seen then you should be able to better it. Of course, in a few months time, I will be able to give you hands on tutorials when I venture up the motorway with boxes full of locos and stock :)

After that will come passing on the knowledge of hacking Black Fives to bits, weathering (if I have mastered it by then), track building, etc.

With that in mind Jason, the immortal words from The Clash spring to mind...

"Should I stay or should I go now?" !!

It'll be fun to improve and learn new skills..... I hope!!  :O  :O

Jeff