Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

The ballasting on the viaduct looks very good Jeff and is swaying me to use the technique when I need to get round to it. Although may use the "Larry" application on straight track if I can confident of actually laying track straight on to a bed of glue.

The roof lights are supposed to be fitted to my loft in a couple of weeks, so who knows, real railway building by autumn? We'll have to see.

Morning Jonathan.

I'm just going into the bunker to do a bit more ballasting and to fiddle about. I'm very pleased with the results. The method can be tedious, but remember - what I've done is on the most awkward parts of the layout - so hopefully I'll go faster on some of the later bits.

And, after all, ballasting is positively dynamic compared to building stone walls!!

How was the weather, Leyburn way? I'm grateful for the drop in temperature - nearly 30C is too hot for me!

As for your layout room....excellent. The sooner you can get going, the better. I love watching layouts being planned and built.

Jeff

Thanks Peter.

Following the discussions on pp. 300-301 I'll use the same grade of ballast across the profile. The photo I showed on p. 300 (post # 7492), repeated below, shows the required ledging - which I'll do with plastikard.

attachicon.gifViaduct ledging.jpg

This is going to be a little tricky to cut and fit (a bit of foresight before fixing the viaduct in place would have helped - always the case), but I'll get it done shortly!

Jeff

So Jeff, what is between the stone shoulder and the parapet? is it ballast? earth? rubble? :O

Now totally confused Bodgiy :sungum:

Jeff this is just amazing, I came home on Friday and you had just reached 300 pages, now its Monday Morning and you are on 302 already.

I thought weekends were normally quiet on here. :O

Bodgity thingy :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

So Jeff, what is between the stone shoulder and the parapet? is it ballast? earth? rubble? :O

Now totally confused Bodgiy :sungum:

I too wonder what it actually is?  It appears to have timber edging on the side nearest the running line, the track has been slued so presumably it is the viaduct in single line form, the timber edge looks to vary in distance from the stone parapet, and the surface of the 'ledge' looks more to me like a walkway surfaced with scalpings/stone dust which was maybe installed subsequent to singling to denote a safe(ish) walking place for PWay folk.

I can't find any older viaduct picture but there is a view in Houghton & Foster near the edge of a viaduct and the cess path ends at the start of the parapet stonework and it (the stonework) lines up with the ballast shoulder edge; not a clear view of teh viaduct but if there is a 'edge' it can't be more than 3-4 inches wide.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff this is just amazing, I came home on Friday and you had just reached 300 pages, now its Monday Morning and you are on 302 already.

I thought weekends were normally quiet on here. :O

Bodgity thingy :sungum:

Things went a bit quiet about a month ago - the thread was down to 2000 views a week (peak in February was 5000 per week!!) -  but it's now getting busy again.

It's interesting that the "old guard" continue to put in a lot of posts, but we're still missing Billy and Jim. Hopefully they are ok. You are more than making up for them!! Lol.

I've just spent the last hour ballasting a 50cm section of curve that leads onto the viaduct. Coffee, then time to set up my experiments!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, just having a coffee myself, cheers. Weather in the Dales much like TS17 - North Sea clag. It's usually much brighter further in land but not this weekend, although the sun did threaten to shine yesterday. It suited me because I was laying a new path next to where the new summerhouse is going to be. Now what sort of a layout could you build in a summer house? Hmmm.

• Like 1

Andy,

Here's another photo taken from the Visit Cumbria website - a better view of the top of Ribblehead...

attachicon.gifribblehead-d1-0066.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, what are the two rails in the middle, they are to far in to be check rails, so are they old rails that have been replaced?

Bodgit the even more confused.com :sungum:

Things went a bit quiet about a month ago - the thread was down to 2000 views a week (peak in February was 5000 per week!!) -  but it's now getting busy again.

It's interesting that the "old guard" continue to put in a lot of posts, but we're still missing Billy and Jim. Hopefully they are ok. You are more than making up for them!! Lol.

I've just spent the last hour ballasting a 50cm section of curve that leads onto the viaduct. Coffee, then time to set up my experiments!

Jeff

Ladies and Gentlemen....  the old guard:

post-8688-0-78566300-1374491946.jpg

Cheers!

Photoshop Lunester

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Here's another photo taken from the Visit Cumbria website - a better view of the top of Ribblehead...

attachicon.gifribblehead-d1-0066.jpg

Jeff

That looks like some sort of netting put over the stone edging. Could it be 'elf and safety to stop the punters who are having a stroll along the viaduct from slipping? Is the stone kerbing underneath the netting to counteract the lateral thrust (can I say that on here?) of the ballast and track when a train passes?

Those rails in the middle Andy are fixed to the sleepers and are a modern feature on British railways on most, if not all, bridges and viaducts. The Midland didn't use check rails over viaducts. I'm no engineer but can only think that in a derailment they would stop the train getting too close to the parapet wall

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

I've just been looking for any pictures which might help with the viaduct ballasting. Of the ones I sent, 3 show a bit of viaduct ballasting, (applying zoom and imagination...).They are sca009, sca010, (both 1966) and 3-10-2010 (1967). The area outside the rails is lighter on the viaduct and seems to fall slightly from the sleeper ends all the way to the parapet wall.

hth

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I don't know!!

I go away to do a bit of work in the bunker and come back to find that scurrilous guy from Oz has added another character to "Lord Lunester's roster"!!

You'll have the Old Guard in Dad's Army next! Oh no, what have I just suggested??!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A couple of random pics to add to the thread.

The first is the chaos in the bunker - with so much going on at the mo, ballast, paint, glue....you name it, they're all ready for action!

post-13778-0-49199400-1374497135_thumb.jpg

Second - my ballasted test-strips. Ballast just applied. When dry, I'll carry out some painting tests on them...

post-13778-0-44734800-1374497143_thumb.jpg

Jeff

ps. I wonder what the Old Guard would do?  :O  :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, what are the two rails in the middle, they are to far in to be check rails, so are they old rails that have been replaced?

Bodgit the even more confused.com :sungum:

The rails in the four foot are guard rails (in effect check rails, of a sort) intended to keep any derailed vehicles on the straight and narrow and not go charging off through the parapet.

The 'ledges' come walkways look to be more like concrete than anything else judging by their relationship to the parapet walls - and i do wonder if they're original?

I hadn't realised the photo you were referring to was of Ribblehead post singling, it does make sense that the extra width available with a singleline on a double track viaduct would be used to make a 'safe' walkway for staff - it would also form a refuge for anyone caught on the viaduct as a train went past.  I wonder if pictures of the other viaducts on the line give any idea of what the ballast should look like?  I know we were looking at ones near Dent for inspiration when you were doing the ground around the viaduct - do any of them show the track?

I've found the page I linked to originally, and what do you know, photo two on this page shows exactly what we are looking for - what the ballast on a double track viaduct looks like - normal ballast all the way to the parapet walls. 

Edited by MichaelW
  • Like 1

We'll have less of the "old" please Jeff!

Young whippersnapper Lune :D

I hadn't realised the photo you were referring to was of Ribblehead post singling, it does make sense that the extra width available with a singleline on a double track viaduct would be used to make a 'safe' walkway for staff - it would also form a refuge for anyone caught on the viaduct as a train went past.  I wonder if pictures of the other viaducts on the line give any idea of what the ballast should look like?  I know we were looking at ones near Dent for inspiration when you were doing the ground around the viaduct - do any of them show the track?

I've found the page I linked to originally, and what do you know, photo two on this page shows exactly what we are looking for - what the ballast on a double track viaduct looks like - normal ballast all the way to the parapet walls. 

Well done Michael, as and when I build a Viaduct I won't get bogged down with different sort / colour / grade of ballast.

Cheers,

Bodgit

Looking at Ribblehead again, that ledge could well have been added when the viaduct was refurbished and the track over it singled.

This is certainly not a criticism Jeff, but because you're using OO gauge track then the space between the viaduct sidewall and the track is probably slightly greater on your model than on the prototype.

Been trying to find pictures of the ends of S&C viaducts. On many, the cess appears to stop at the viaduct sidewall (eg Lunds and Smardale), though on others (eg Cotehill), it looks like there might be a very narrow cess.

Present day practise appears to use more (deeper?) ballast spread right to the sidewall.

Edited by Western Sunset

• RMweb Premium

Looking at Ribblehead again, that ledge could well have been added when the viaduct was refurbished and the track over it singled.

This is certainly not a criticism Jeff, but because you're using OO gauge track then the space between the viaduct sidewall and the track is probably slightly greater on your model than on the prototype.

Been trying to find pictures of the ends of S&C viaducts. On many, the cess appears to stop at the viaduct sidewall (eg Lunds and Smardale), though on others (eg Cotehill), it looks like there might be a very narrow cess.

Present day practise appears to use more (deeper?) ballast spread right to the sidewall.

Michael, thanks for the link and comments.

Peter - the distance between the line and sidewall is a consequence of some initial estimates I made of a typical S&C viaduct, based on photos. Maybe I judged it too wide!

Anyway - Young, Youngish, old or ancient Lunesters.... thanks for the efforts you've made on my behalf. I'm going to keep it very simple and ballast right up to the parapet walls. I suspect the ledge was a refurbishment item, and even if it wasn't, is there such a thing as a "standard" S&C viaduct. So - the KISS and Rule 1 principles apply here....easier all round!

cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Which takes us back to Post 7521 (and the ones it referred to) ;)  

• RMweb Premium

Which takes us back to Post 7521 (and the ones it referred to) ;)  

Fair point, Mike.

I'm all for the easy life - there's plenty to do on any layout! So much info. from the prototype justifies a uniform ballast size, parapet to parapet. So no grinding ballast or ledges for me!

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I used Woodland Scenics Fine Cinders ballast for the cess in the cutting. However, I particularly like Carrs 2mm Fine Dark Grey.... so I've used this for the cess between the viaduct and the tunnel portal:

post-13778-0-07423600-1374530990_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-55111800-1374530997_thumb.jpg

I think I'll use this for the cess for the rest of the layout.

Jeff

• Like 3