Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Thankyou, it was meant to be a miserable wet night waiting on a rain-soaked platform for a late train, and the Jubilee races past on the fast line, but if it's a canal, sobeit.. 

I now have a heavily weathered Royal Scot and Black 5 to choose from for my next foray into dark wet cold nights somewhere in the Midlands.  I could do a double-header of course, with a 9F coming the other way....  but first things first, take an engine out of its box WITHOUT BREAKING IT.

Ho Rob, I didn't know whether to tick the Agree, Funny, Like or Friendly/Supportive  for the end of this one mate, either way;

DON'T BREAK IT. :O

Just Bodgit :sungum:

I have to agree with Andy. Congratulations.

Just wondering if we can get to 400 before we see the grass :O  :jester:  :O  :jester:

Duncan

Hi Duncan I am with you on that one, mind you it wont grow in this heat.

Biodhur :no: getting tired, try again; :stinker:

Bodgit, yes done it, good night all, :O  :sungum: 

• RMweb Premium

Yes Jeff, CONGRATULATIONS ON 300 PAGES

Bodgit

I have to agree with Andy. Congratulations.

Just wondering if we can get to 400 before we see the grass :O  :jester:  :O  :jester:

Duncan

I don't think I can hold out more than another month or so! Grass by the end of August..... probably!!

Quite scary reaching 300 pages = 7500 posts. Oh well, let's aim for at least 10,000 posts before the layout is "finished" (not before grass appears!).

Jeff

• Like 1

A few pics to show the last hours ballasting on the viaduct. I'll reclaim the loose ballast in the morning...

attachicon.gif100_3711.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3712.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3713.JPG

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I stayed up way past my bed time just to see your ballasting.

Really good that grey mix is nice, I will have a look back in the morning and see what you have used.

Bodgit

I don't think I can hold out more than another month or so! Grass by the end of August..... probably!!

Quite scary reaching 300 pages = 7500 posts. Oh well, let's aim for at least 10,000 posts before the layout is "finished" (not before grass appears!).

Jeff

How about by Christmas, 10,000 post that is, NOT THE RUDDY GRASS,

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

How about by Christmas, 10,000 post that is, NOT THE RUDDY GRASS,

Bodgit

Just done a quick check. We've had more than 4000 posts in the last 6 months, so we ought to be able to get to 10,000 by Christmas. All depending on whether I manage to post anything and you lot have anything to say (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

300 pages. Brilliant, Jeff.  Congratulations.

The G**** word

No harm in adding gr*** by the end of August.  In this weather it'll be quite golden....Nope - DEAD brown...or parched....and burnt to a cinder as a Brit of 9F thunders past.  Ah! The fun you could have to wind up a Lunester or two... :sarcastichand:

Whichever, you can undoubtedly maintain your street cred, for a while longer, anyway...I mean....GR*** ??? Hmmm!

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Ballasting looks great and not a blade of gr*** in sight.  Will pop back later to see the final result.   Keep it up, Jeff. Rooting for you (no,no, not the grass...)  :sungum:

Polly

• RMweb Premium

300 pages. Brilliant, Jeff.  Congratulations.

The G**** word

No harm in adding gr*** by the end of August.  In this weather it'll be quite golden....Nope - DEAD brown...or parched....and burnt to a cinder as a Brit of 9F thunders past.  Ah! The fun you could have to wind up a Lunester or two... :sarcastichand:

Whichever, you can undoubtedly maintain your street cred, for a while longer, anyway...I mean....GR*** ??? Hmmm!

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Ballasting looks great and not a blade of gr*** in sight.  Will pop back later to see the final result.   Keep it up, Jeff. Rooting for you (no,no, not the grass...)  :sungum:

Polly

I see you are maintaining the expected level of excellence in Lunester humour, Polly!!

I just wonder how people will cope when the green stuff finally arrives. Grown men and women having a bit of a "faint moment", eh?!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I see you are maintaining the expected level of excellence in Lunester humour, Polly!!

I just wonder how people will cope when the green stuff finally arrives. Grown men and women having a bit of a "faint moment", eh?!

Jeff

Green stuff beckons on Camel Quay, too - after the road men have finished laying the tarmac.  It looks as though there will be even more GREEN stuff than originally planned after the town planners gave the go ahead to demolish the old dockside buildings and plant a woodland to make the place more attractive road disappear more convincingly!  I ask  you!  :O 

No doubt Ray will stick up some more photos as the days go by.

In the meantime, I shall be popping back here to scrutinise monitor your progress see how you get on.

Have a good day Jeff.

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here's the result of last night's ballast:

post-13778-0-43767400-1374307245_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-39382000-1374307252_thumb.jpg

The cess will be added on the outside, probably tomorrow. I've just done another 30cm section, so progress is being made.

The ballast is Woodland Scenics grey blend fine. For the cess I've used WS cinders fine. I thought the cinders were a bit dark, but many cess areas were filthy so I'm happy to stick with it.

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Well done on the 300th page Jeff, but I'm a tad worried about the viaduct. Would it really have a cinder cess? I would think (and am happy to be wrong!) that the ballast would be continous across the width of the deck.... Maybe slighty finer (put the ballast in the ginder) but still stone.

You need to do some Googling or picture hunting in your library before you make a mistake...

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Well done on the 300th page Jeff, but I'm a tad worried about the viaduct. Would it really have a cinder cess? I would think (and am happy to be wrong!) that the ballast would be continous across the width of the deck.... Maybe slighty finer (put the ballast in the ginder) but still stone.

You need to do some Googling or picture hunting in your library before you make a mistake...

Andy G

Andy - you are correct. I've just looked at my collection of Ribblehead photos.... Here's one that shows the area beyond the rails quite nicely:

post-13778-0-26186100-1374317737.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

Here's the result of last night's ballast:

attachicon.gif100_3714.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3715.JPG

The cess will be added on the outside, probably tomorrow. I've just done another 30cm section, so progress is being made.

The ballast is Woodland Scenics grey blend fine. For the cess I've used WS cinders fine. I thought the cinders were a bit dark, but many cess areas were filthy so I'm happy to stick with it.

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, That viaduct looks really good,I have also just read Andy G's comments regarding the Cess and I do think he is right about the ballast going right across but I too will double check.

EDIT = Just seen the pic above, Yes I am right as well, it just goes to show that TWO RIGHTS ANDY'S DON'T MAKE A WRONG? hahaha

Am I right in thinking that you have a small paintbrush and literally paint PVA between each sleeper and rail one by one. :O

Oh no I have a plan. :no: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Bodgit :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jeff, That viaduct looks really good,I have also just read Andy G's comments regarding the Cess and I do think he is right about the ballast going right across but I too will double check.

EDIT = Just seen the pic above, Yes I am right as well, it just goes to show that TWO RIGHTS ANDY'S DON'T MAKE A WRONG? hahaha

Am I right in thinking that you have a small paintbrush and literally paint PVA between each sleeper and rail one by one. :O

Oh no I have a plan. :no: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Bodgit :sungum:

Yes Andy, that's exactly what I do! It's tedious, but I'm speeding up! I can do 50cm of double track main line in an hour - which isn't too bad!

I use a "number 1" paintbrush and apply the PVA bit by bit. The pic below shows a section I did this morning:

post-13778-0-88402700-1374324069_thumb.jpg

The ballast is applied VERY liberally and pressed down using my finger...

post-13778-0-15867500-1374324074_thumb.jpg

This is a poor photo - I can't afford the lecky bill, so cutting down on lighting - but this was the same bit of track covered in the grey blend:

post-13778-0-35142800-1374324078_thumb.jpg

Leave said mess for 3 hours, hoover up and reclaim the excess ballast and make small corrections where ballast has gone where it shouldn't.

I'm sure you've done all this a billion times. However, this method is working a million times better than the dropper method!

Jeff

ps. I'll try and grind the fine ballast a bit further, but a touch of dilute acrylic on the outside layer will help to distinguish them.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How much size variation is there in the ballast you use? It might be worth sieving before you start, and keeping the finer material for the cess, (mixed with some cinder black). Could be a problem finding the right sieve though...

Dave

• RMweb Premium

How much size variation is there in the ballast you use? It might be worth sieving before you start, and keeping the finer material for the cess, (mixed with some cinder black). Could be a problem finding the right sieve though...

Dave

It seems to be remarkably uniform. I'm using a tea-strainer type sieve to dispense the ballast - the occasional bit of ballast is left in there at the end, but particle size looks fairly consistent.

I'll see if I can grind it up a bit. If not, well, I'll have to live with it.

Very noticeable (in my opinion) that the fine ballast looks so much better (especially with the thin sleeper thickness of SMP track) than "standard" 4mm ballast.

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff, As I am now CONVERTED to SMP I will need to (ALL BURST INTO SONG)      ;;;;;;       Do it Your Way :O 

Good set of tutorial pics, you are getting as good as Al, with your "Shows you how" series. 

Cheers Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy.

Temporary halt to proceedings while I head out to do some bricklaying. The conditions are perfect - we have some cloud here and the temperature has dropped to 21C. Outside work in the scorching heat and humidity is not recommended.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Don. Here are the up-to-date pics of the viaduct - just been into the bunker to remove the remaining masking tape and vacuum-up the loose ballast.

I'll see if I can grind some finer particles tomorrow!!

post-13778-0-89308400-1374351230_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-88583300-1374351235_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-57102600-1374351241_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 6

Very impressive stuff, Jeff. Good on yer.  Now to work out a suitable filler for the cess and inner edge of the viaduct side. I'd be inclined to use a strip of cardboard, long and straight and cut with a guillotine for a finishing strip, a bit like that prototype pic you showed.  I used to make all my model 'extras' out of cereal packet cardboard, it has a nice buff-creamy shade which meant painting was optional. Jan bakes brilliant bread so no more of that material supply.... but of course cardboard backs of A4 folder-exercise book type things being quite thick, would give a dozen long suitable strips?

Today I am photo-detailing a heavily-weathered Royal Scot 46103 from my bed, with laptop, with a mild pressure sore... and SHE makes the tea and coffee. Will be ok tomorrow. Paralysed skin doesn't do well when sat-on for hours. I have never known why we paraplegic types have been expected to sit for 12-14hrs/day when no fit person could ever do that, and before my crash I was fidgety after 90 minutes in a theatre!