Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

With Jeff busy with 'various', I can throw in something only faintly Kirkby Luneside, 9F 92233, which was latterly a Carlisle Kingmoor engine I think, so may qualify. Butchered front pony truck notwithstanding.

post-7929-0-27521300-1374125339.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great picture of the 9F, Rob.

Having seen the pony truck problem I'll be very careful in future!

If you come across the photo of the Standard with the detachment, let me know which one it was.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Bill - nice to see the desire for models is still alive and kicking in sunny Morecambe!

The DubD models are lovely and, as we've said before, you can't have too many 9Fs.

Having said that, I'm already having to rationalise cabinet storage space - and I only bought a new cabinet (which can hold 20 Pacifics) a month ago!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You've finally fitted those sleepers!   :D

I'm going to have to find something new to say!

p.s. I'd like to point out that I've been away on holiday for a few days with no internet access, and it's not taken me this long to figure it out ;)

I have to be honest.... there were only 2 missing sleepers on the ballasted section, but others DO remain.... Most notably near the tunnel at the other end of the layout. So don't worry Michael. You aren't redundant yet!

Hope the 009 project continues to prosper.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Just to possibly throw a small spanner in the works. How are you planning on weathering the ballast on the approach to and under the main bridge?

Duncan

Answer = "with a little difficulty"!!

That corner of the layout is complicated by the number of "mini-projects" going on: bridges, walling, aqueduct, cutting faces, ballasting - all in a small area. So I decided I had to "grasp the nettle" and fix the bridge(s) (branch will be fitted today) - I've spent 3 months in the corner and need to escape!

I'm not even sure of the best way to weather the ballast, as I quite like the base texture and colour I've currently got - and just want to add a little "grot". Easy if I had that airbrush I was going to buy. A bit of dry-brushed acrylic, methinks.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

The ballasting is looking great, good luck with the rest of it. The Black 5s look nice sat on the layout too, the blue numberplate on 45458 is a nice touch, I am right in thinking that was something done fairly late on. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. I'm only ballasting the cutting section at the moment - then I'll resume work on the Fell and walling.

HOWEVER, given the number of photos taken on the viaduct, I've decided I'm going to ballast that, and the approaches at either side. This will force me to finish the tunnel mouth (mostly painting) I started last December and - hopefully - it'll make the viaduct photos look a bit better.

Jeff

Thanks Peter. I'm only ballasting the cutting section at the moment - then I'll resume work on the Fell and walling.

HOWEVER, given the number of photos taken on the viaduct, I've decided I'm going to ballast that, and the approaches at either side. This will force me to finish the tunnel mouth (mostly painting) I started last December and - hopefully - it'll make the viaduct photos look a bit better.

Jeff

Morning Jeff,

Fair enough too much ballasting will drive you mad. Doing that section and getting it almost finished will keep you going for a bit anyway. It's probably a good idea to give the layout a good running session before you do too much ballasting anyway.

I weathered my ballast with Humbrol paints and a brush, as you can vary the colour  as you go. If you want yours fairly clean dry brushing should work a treat.

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Premium

How about artist's pastels? In the past I've used many shades of reds and browns and blacks to add to ballast to get a nicer grotty look. These can be brushed on with that powder brush too......

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

How about artist's pastels? In the past I've used many shades of reds and browns and blacks to add to ballast to get a nicer grotty look. These can be brushed on with that powder brush too......

Andy G

As with all these things, I'll try an experiment or two before attacking the real thing. 

Just for a "change of scenery", i'm going to start ballasting the viaduct this afternoon.

Jeff

I have to be honest.... there were only 2 missing sleepers on the ballasted section, but others DO remain.... Most notably near the tunnel at the other end of the layout. So don't worry Michael. You aren't redundant yet!

Hope the 009 project continues to prosper.

Oh good!  I'll keep watching.  That ballasting looks good - very neat and tidy.  I think around the bridge that the cess would fill the space to the walls, rather than continue the same width as on plain track. 

I was about to say it looks wrong, but I think that's more due to the prototypes I've been looking at recently (narrow gauge trackwork is not quite the same as well tended S&C mainlines...).  The 009 hasn't progressed much due to the holiday, but much thinking has happened, and scenic plans for both are coming along nicely...

Jeff

Ah ha!  Don't forget to put the sleepers in! :P

• RMweb Premium

Oh good!  I'll keep watching.  That ballasting looks good - very neat and tidy.  I think around the bridge that the cess would fill the space to the walls, rather than continue the same width as on plain track.

I was about to say it looks wrong, but I think that's more due to the prototypes I've been looking at recently (narrow gauge trackwork is not quite the same as well tended S&C mainlines...).  The 009 hasn't progressed much due to the holiday, but much thinking has happened, and scenic plans for both are coming along nicely...

Ah ha!  Don't forget to put the sleepers in! :P

I was wondering if that would be the case....could be tricky adding a bit extra now that the bridge is fitted. It makes sense that it would be the case - if others agree then I'll make an effort to "fill" it in.

Sleepers....what sleepers? Lol.

Jeff

You appear to have used narrow track centres on the viaduct, which looks impressive and was something I was going to aim for at one point. However, the track centres are wider in other locations, so Is this to allow for sharp curves?  The stonework on your viaduct looks great.

• RMweb Premium

You appear to have used narrow track centres on the viaduct, which looks impressive and was something I was going to aim for at one point. However, the track centres are wider in other locations, so Is this to allow for sharp curves?  The stonework on your viaduct looks great.

Hi Larry.

The viaduct and the "aqueduct corner" are the two biggest track contrasts on the whole layout.

The aqueduct end has the tightest radius (from memory I think it went down to about 27" = 68cm).

The viaduct was around 65 - 70" radius (about 160+ cm).

So I kept the track centres on the viaduct as close to the straight-line track centre as I could manage - pretty close.

But the aqueduct corner had to be "tweaked" - Mike (Stationmaster) made me aware of potential clearance problems (see page 56ish) - so I opened out the track-centres. Of course, the track in that corner is almost invisible so it didn't look too bad!

One other point re. the viaduct. It's been virtually neglected for months, stuck at the far end of KL. I looked at it the other day and wondered if I could do an equivalent job if I had to build another one now!

Jeff

Track centres matter. I took several photos the other day and overlaid them on a real photo until I got things more or less the same focal length. What came to light was the furthest model track from the signalbox at Greenfield should be quite a but closer to the box than it is. I'm not about to do a Little Richard and rip it up though.  

• RMweb Premium

Track centres matter. I took several photos the other day and overlaid them on a real photo until I got things more or less the same focal length. What came to light was the furthest model track from the signalbox at Greenfield should be quite a but closer to the box than it is. I'm not about to do a Little Richard and rip it up though.  

I'm glad to hear that - you did enough of that last year to give Little Richard another hit single!

Re. posts 7446 and 7462, would you agree that the line of the cess would be modified to take it up to the inside walls of the bridge (which would make sense)? Then where would the cess go as it emerged from the bridge....back to the original line, I guess?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just to show that I've actually done something today....

The bunker has been evacuated due to solvent stench from evostik, model filler and rail grime aerosol....

The viaduct has been taped ready for ballasting and a base coat of sleeper/rail grime applied. Pics aren't fantastic - I need to replace some of my lamps...

post-13778-0-14447300-1374180214_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-40101500-1374180218_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-01143400-1374180226_thumb.jpg

I'll give the rails a "rust" coating in the morning and apply a dose of grey ballast after that.

Jeff

• Like 4

Here are a few locos on the viaduct. The lighting isn't great - I need to replace a couple of lamps.

attachicon.gif100_3668.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3669.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3671.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3675.JPG

Jeff

Hi Jeff the detached lubricating arm is on the 4th of these of 92249  the arm should have its rear on the circular part of the valve gear and be more parallel to the running plate, as will probably be seen on others in the series, or on the opposite side of 92249. 

Edit; or, as below in my two pictures.

Commonly seen even on brand new models in shop ads and seen in Bachmann catalogues the various fragile bits fallen-off or not assembled right in pre-production catalogue pics.  I'm fussy about valve gear even if I am ham-fisted with models generally. Am detailing 92233 this morning.

Here is my agricultural repair to the front pony-wheel area, with cylinder drain pipes on but the steps, hmmm the factory-supplied steps looked pretty poor so I left them off. You can also see slight bow in running plate under smoke deflectors, common on these models and usually look much worse in photos than in the flesh as it were. My photo shows the lubricating rod on the outside of the valve gear, where it should be. <g>

post-7929-0-88874400-1374186902.jpg

and after a bit of judicious work...

post-7929-0-16671200-1374215361.jpg

I'm very pleased with this model now. Time for a cup of tea!

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

... I'm not even sure of the best way to weather the ballast, as I quite like the base texture and colour I've currently got - and just want to add a little "grot". Easy if I had that airbrush I was going to buy. A bit of dry-brushed acrylic, methinks.

Not sure about the dry brushing technique. My suspicion would be that all you will get is a bit of grot on the surface with clean ballast peeking through the gaps. I always use washes of dilute acrylics. If you use very dilute washes you can build up the colour in 2 or 3 goes and get variations easily. If anything it accentuates the texture. If you do it in stages you can avoid overdoing it and you can just slosh it on with a decent sized brush.

Personally I don't like the look of airbrushed ballast as it looks too even to my eye. Each to their own of course.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure about the dry brushing technique. My suspicion would be that all you will get is a bit of grot on the surface with clean ballast peeking through the gaps. I always use washes of dilute acrylics. If you use very dilute washes you can build up the colour in 2 or 3 goes and get variations easily. If anything it accentuates the texture. If you do it in stages you can avoid overdoing it and you can just slosh it on with a decent sized brush.

Personally I don't like the look of airbrushed ballast as it looks too even to my eye. Each to their own of course.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, this is my preferred method for painting structures and rock faces. For rocks I do, literally, slosh it on! Never tried it on ballast, though.

I also have some appropriate colours pre-mixed, ready for applying to the ballast. I'm going to try them out on a test track first.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, just got home from a few days away in the SUN / SHADE, I will need to plat catch up tonight when it is a bit cooler.

Bodgit IS BACK :sungum:

I'm sure you'll find a few things of interest! Still none of the green stuff, but started ballasting the viaduct this morning.

Jeff

Black 5 pics...

attachicon.gif100_3685.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3686.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3687.JPG

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I am back, the Black 5 pics look really good, that is a cracking weathering job, I look forward to seeing more as I play catch up after a few days away.

Bodgit.

P.S at least it wont start a GRASS FIRE with this hot weather on your layout, hhahhaa

I love the going-away shot of the Black 5.  It somehow makes the radius more believable than some other shots. As you know I am rather fond of distorted reality.

On a completely different subject, could you or anyone else suggest where a Longsight 9A Jubilee like 45587 'Baroda' might have been roaring through the gathering gloom, on a fast line through a station as yet only vaguely described as 'Preston'?

I have but a vague idea of what stations may have had fast lines' on a route served by a Longsight engines, any suggestions most welcome.

attachicon.gif45587_wet_night_at_Preston_4ab_r800.jpg

Hi Rob, that is just glorious, I do love the reflections, it looks like it could be running along side a canal, poss the Trent and Mersey near our humble abode! :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

Thankyou, it was meant to be a miserable wet night waiting on a rain-soaked platform for a late train, and the Jubilee races past on the fast line, but if it's a canal, sobeit.. 

I now have a heavily weathered Royal Scot and Black 5 to choose from for my next foray into dark wet cold nights somewhere in the Midlands.  I could do a double-header of course, with a 9F coming the other way....  but first things first, take an engine out of its box WITHOUT BREAKING IT.