Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

You're going to need a few buffer stops Jeff. May I recommend Lanakshire Models ones? I've bought a fair few L&Y ones and they are pretty easy to put together and look a lot better than the Peco efforts, which need a fair bit of chopping about to look anything like as they have erroneous clips on to attach them to the (flat bottom) rails and are a tad generic. I'm not 100% but I am pretty sure that Dave has already cast some Midland ones and I know he has done the BR ones.

I've only put one together so far, will try and get a shot of it (still in silver at present) compared to a Peco one later when I can find my camera.

Edit: forgot the link: http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshire%20models%20and%20supplies%20website_017.htm

Hi Jason.

Good to hear from you after your trials and tribulations in Espana!

I was thinking about buffer stops a couple of days ago. One of the few things I saved from the old layout were a few of the old Peco stops. However, I've never been keen on them, so I'm happy to follow your recommendation.

I'm on a coffee break between ballasting - giving a second coat to parts already done. I assume you weathered your ballast using an airbrush?

Jeff

Scott, "The Boys" arrived this morning and will be kept in a safe place for the time being.

If you want to post one of your pics of them, to explain to others what this is all about, please do so!

Just waiting for Reg Varney now!!

Jeff

I actually didn't take photos of the finished item ~ but that's okay, I'm sure they can come out on the footplate at K/L at some point...

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

I've not actually weathered the ballast yet Jeff, it's on the ever-increasing list of things to do.

The nice thing about Dave's buffer stops (e.g. Lanakshire Models) is that not only are they highly detailed, accurate and easy to put together but you can also mix the style up a bit and have Midland, LMS and BR style ones for a bit of variety.

Still not got the camera yet. I do have my Go Pro to hand but it's not really the right sort of camera if you know what I mean (they fish-eye a bit)

I'll add my vote to Jason's for Lanarkshire Models buffer stops. I've just got five Lanky and a couple of LMS ones. Top notch stuff!

Bill

PS. Hmmmm! Mankini-clad drivers? I hope that 9F isn't throwing too much clinker up the chimney, especially inside those tunnels! Can't wait for the pictures!

• RMweb Premium

I'll add my vote to Jason's for Lanarkshire Models buffer stops. I've just got five Lanky and a couple of LMS ones. Top notch stuff!

Bill

PS. Hmmmm! Mankini-clad drivers? I hope that 9F isn't throwing too much clinker up the chimney, especially inside those tunnels! Can't wait for the pictures!

Cheers Bill. The two of you have convinced me, and I'll happily follow your recommendation!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

And he's just done some HR ones too, sadly my wallet is feeling faint, as I reckon I'll need to amass about 20 of them....

They look nice crisp castings, so am looking forward to getting my hands on some.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Update:

Yes, I've been ballasting. I'm even dreaming of swimming in the stuff....I swim on, and on, and on until I hit a piece of DAS stone wall!!! Surrounded by g***s ... ONLY JOKING.

I'll vacuum up the current mess in about 2 hours, do some snagging, then run a few locos round. I'm not doing any more ballasting for a few days!

Will post some pics later - for those addicts out there who can't get enough of 2mm fine ground-down coconut husk (or whatever WS and Carrs use as the basis of their ballast!!).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

And just to finish off for the day, 2 general views showing the bridge-area ballast and a view to the far-distant viaduct (through a variety of odds-and-sods!)...

post-13778-0-05192500-1375549533_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-56520100-1375549539_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Oooooo. Nice photos, Jeff, and TWOooooo 9Fs in the same pic..... [Edit - No it isn't - wishful thinking...perhaps...]

Don't you just love it.  :sungum:

Ballasting looks good, too.  :D

Polly

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Oooooo. Nice photos, Jeff, and TWOooooo 9Fs in the same pic..... [Edit - No it isn't - wishful thinking...perhaps...]

Don't you just love it.  :sungum:

Ballasting looks good, too.  :D

Polly

Polly, I'll tell you what I'll do for you, tomorrow, as a special treat....

How about FOUR 9Fs (3 weathered, the pristine being Evening Star) on the viaduct, in two pairs....pulling.....well, nothing - hope the locos by themselves are good enough!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Polly, I'll tell you what I'll do for you, tomorrow, as a special treat....

How about FOUR 9Fs (3 weathered, the pristine being Evening Star) on the viaduct, in two pairs....pulling.....well, nothing - hope the locos by themselves are good enough!

Jeff

Didn't know whether to post a Thumbs.jpg or a Laugh.jpg

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see your 9Fs together, Jeff....special treat all round I should imagine....

Polly

And just to finish off for the day, 2 general views showing the bridge-area ballast and a view to the far-distant viaduct (through a variety of odds-and-sods!)...

attachicon.gif100_3850.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3851.JPG

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Loving the photo's, that 1st one here really shows off the walls on the hillside, they look fantastic. Oh sorry, was I meant to be looking at the ballast??

Just in case you get a little bored with the plain old stiles in your superb walls, here's a liitle challenge for you, it's half steps and half squeeze, not sure what it's called or even if it has a proper name, although I'm sure it will have.

Fingers crossed I've remembered how to do this, there should be 2 side views and the 3rd looking from directly above.

post-8639-0-32206400-1375564440.jpg

post-8639-0-24605200-1375564497.jpg

post-8639-0-29902500-1375564518.jpg

There, that should give you a couple of sleepless nights!!

Keep up the excellent work and keep that camera charged up ready for action.

Chip

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Loving the photo's, that 1st one here really shows off the walls on the hillside, they look fantastic. Oh sorry, was I meant to be looking at the ballast??

Just in case you get a little bored with the plain old stiles in your superb walls, here's a liitle challenge for you, it's half steps and half squeeze, not sure what it's called or even if it has a proper name, although I'm sure it will have.

Fingers crossed I've remembered how to do this, there should be 2 side views and the 3rd looking from directly above.

attachicon.gifJeff 1.jpg

attachicon.gifJeff 2.jpg

attachicon.gifJeff 3.jpg

There, that should give you a couple of sleepless nights!!

Keep up the excellent work and keep that camera charged up ready for action.

Chip

Thanks Chip. I'll incorporate one of this type of stile into my next wall. I may even do a bit of walling tomorrow!

Glad you like the pics (surprise, surprise!!)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Chip

Some cracking photos of some 'green stuff' although I'm not quite sure what its called. :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  

Duncan

Green stuff??!!

All I can see is stone walling with loads of lichens growing on it!

Am I missing something??!  :no:  :no:

Good to hear from you, Duncan.

Jeff

Jeff

I have been lurking and this evening is the first time in weeks I've had some real time to catch up properly, I'm hoping that things will change in a couple of weeks and I can resume some modelling.

The ballast saga looks like it has ended up with the right look to it. Just the rest of the ballasting and the walls to finish and we can hopefully look forward to some grass before Christmas.

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I have been lurking and this evening is the first time in weeks I've had some real time to catch up properly, I'm hoping that things will change in a couple of weeks and I can resume some modelling.

The ballast saga looks like it has ended up with the right look to it. Just the rest of the ballasting and the walls to finish and we can hopefully look forward to some grass before Christmas.

Duncan

WHICH Christmas?

And if I can get to Christmas, we can have snow....who needs the green stuff?

You never know, some g***s might appear sooner than that!  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Chip

Some cracking photos of some 'green stuff' although I'm not quite sure what its called. :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  

Duncan

Agree, Duncan.

I've just been admiring the diversity in such a small area.  Unfortunately, I haven't a clue as to what all the different types of 'green stuff' are apart frrom some Gr***y stuff (again, I haven't a clue as to type) and some yellow flowers on tall stalks.  

So, Jeff, looks like you'll have your job cut out in that area too.  :jester:

So far, I've kept Camel Quay's ground cover to just a few types of flocking for simplicity though I'll probably introduce a little diversity when I've given it a bit more thought (looked at more photos of the prototype area).

Guess, we'll all be out there now in Lunester Land taking gr***y photos for you....in the meantime a teeny weeny bit to get you started - watch it in case it gets trampled on:-

:offtopic:   [Off topic?  Well, you were talking of ballast....and walls....and 9Fs....]

Polly

Certainly a lot of the steam engines in use were not very green.  I am waiting for my TMC heavily-weathered Jubilee, and have a couple of models in mind to photograph which were nominally BR green but probably only on the day they came out of the paintshop.

All the photos of such as S&C Leeds and Carlisle-based engines show quite a wide range of cleanliness, A3s and Scots moderately grimy to very dirty, and Jubilees almost always very dirty. My own experience of the era, 1958-66 on New Zealand Railways, was that at any given time on a shed of say a dozen express engines there were two or three which were still showing fresh black paint, and none seemed to reach the state of neglect I see in photos of BR Black 5s, 8Fs and so on, yet our NZR steam engines were never cleaned in the ordinary course of events. 

I'm always curious to see just how unkempt such as A3s became on the S&C and Waverley; thinking of a heavily-weathered A3 I might buy some day. I must dig out a photo of 'our' NZR express engines some day, I have about a hundred stored away!

Rob

edit; here is NOT one of mine but shows the condition of our engines when on express work c1962 with many used on overnight express trains between Wellington and Auckland, sometimes double-headed, 426 miles, several engine-changes on each train, up to four trains in each direction... This one has Baker valve gear and was reputed to be one of the faster ones

post-7929-0-89515400-1375596587.jpg

this shows why they didn't stay clean, more than 20 tunnels, some over a mile long, this pic staged on preserved railway however, they did make similar exhaust on 22 miles of 1-in-50 uphill without a break from Owhango to National Park, just south of Taumaranui.. with 14-on for a single 4-8-4 engine there was a lot of work for the engine. It was a steady rhythm travelling in those trains.  Downhill they could roll along nicely too.

post-7929-0-90077800-1375596699.jpg

apologies for thread drift, I'm sure Jeff your tunnels had steam exhaust in them too!

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4