Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

:sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

What can I say, Jeff? :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Many thanks, indeed as Wallace would put it or - as they say out here in the north west - diolch yn fawr iawn...

I had just come on to RMweb after checking out a visitor to Bangor - thought you might like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5u8PgJo6tw

Return times on here for any Lunesters in the area:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50934/2013/08/04/advanced

I watched the vapour trail of The Sherwood Forrester in steam as we raced Ray drove alongside it along the A55 this afternoon. It was on far too low ground most of the time to see much else over the walls, hedges, road barrier.  County of Essex at the rear.

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Having looked at the photos showing front views of the 9Fs I've been into the bunker and removed all the front tension-lock couplers.

Same for all the other steamers that were in there, too...

Ugly things!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Are you moving over to 3 links then Jeff?

Ballast looking good, when are you going to weather it?

Andy G

I'll stick with the old system for now, but those couplers on the front of steamers look ridiculous!!

I'll probably weather the existing ballast sometime this coming week. I want to try out a couple of dry runs first. I'm going to keep the main line fairly clean - but it'll get grotty when I eventually get to the station (and the goods area...track not even down yet!)

I'm going to use some weak acrylic washes of stone grey, dark umber and a few lighter blends. Keep watching!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I have just had a catch up as I have been busy with the move and planning the Garden Railway, (see pics on BR) hahaaa

9F look cracking and the ballast looks good, I am looking forward to more pics this week

And just got home from a 2 day show with Glen Roy at the Great Central, in Nottingham

Bodgit

Polly, Polly, Polly.... 9Fs, as promised...

attachicon.gif100_3852.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3853.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3854.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3855.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3856.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3857.JPG

Jeff

Marvellous! This was/is done to test new bridge structures when they were built. Overloading and measuring for stress/distortion, at least for steel viaducts. 

Robbie

edit re-posted as used wrong pics first time sorry

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

I'll stick with the old system for now, but those couplers on the front of steamers look ridiculous!!

I'll probably weather the existing ballast sometime this coming week. I want to try out a couple of dry runs first. I'm going to keep the main line fairly clean - but it'll get grotty when I eventually get to the station (and the goods area...track not even down yet!)

I'm going to use some weak acrylic washes of stone grey, dark umber and a few lighter blends. Keep watching!

Jeff

Are you expecting rain, there, Jeff? :jester:

We've had a couple of downpours so they may be making there way to you right now.... :mosking:

Will pop by again to see how the weathering of the ballast gets on....that rain may help.... :D

Pollytruble

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I have just had a catch up as I have been busy with the move and planning the Garden Railway, (see pics on BR) hahaaa

9F look cracking and the ballast looks good, I am looking forward to more pics this week

And just got home from a 2 day show with Glen Roy at the Great Central, in Nottingham

Bodgit

I may do a bit more ballasting during the week. Once you're in the groove with it it's not SO bad!!

I've glanced over at BR and caught up with proceedings...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Are you expecting rain, there, Jeff? :jester:

We've had a couple of downpours so they may be making there way to you right now.... :mosking:

Will pop by again to see how the weathering of the ballast gets on....that rain may help.... :D

Pollytruble

The rain has arrived. The weathering hasn't. Yet. Give it a bit of time (not geological) and it may commence....like grass growth.

I was listening to a CD of 1960s pop yesterday. one of the tracks was Petula Clark singing "The other man's grass is always greener..." I burst out laughing!

Jeff

• Like 1

No thread drift there, Rob!

That's a mighty-looking steamer....not very pretty though - even more exterior pipe and valvework than BR Standards!!

Jeff

Beauty in the eye of the beholder, my son. 

May I suggest that the Consett Ore-train 9Fs had a fair bit of plumbing attached.

I did and do love the look of the NZ steam engines and just as with the British 'look' I find that the preserved engines are "not quite the same".

I preferred them in the days when they were part-and-parcel of everyday life in an everyday world, as modelling depicts them.

You didn't think much about the plumbing on the sides of the engines when you were a 10-year old, travelling 9 carriages back in a 16-carriage train, face pressed to the window and looking forwars on the curved track in late evening fading summer light, when an engine such as the NZR 'Ka' 4-8-4 was beating its way uphill with a 4-6-2 pilot engine in front, the flashes from the firebox, and vertical plumes of exhaust, making up time because of the losses during station 'refreshment stops' where engines took water and passengers fought for cups of tea and sandwiches to be consumed on the train. At the fastest stops the timing was 8 minutes to water engines and feed or 'water' 350 people!

The engines had to conform to a smaller loading gauge than British, and max axle-loading of 14.5 tons, and had comparable power to a Britannia, albeit the Ka would have had more power at lower speeds such as in bringing 400 tons unaided up 1-in-50 grades.

My love of the British equivalent trains comes from imagining them when I was young, running Hornby Dublo trains on the front room floor, a 3-rail 'Bristol Castle' and suitable carriages, and later building many Kitmaster and Airfix models. I dreamed of trains regularly reaching 80mph or more, for us 60mph was very exciting!

However, I mustn't interrupt the on-going ballasting with such diversion.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Moring Jeff, just the right kind of a day for a bit of walling, ballasting or weathering. Keep up the good work.

Quite right. I've already been into the bunker and put a coat of Rail Grime onto the next sections of track to be ballasted. Just waiting for it to dry then off we go!

I had a bit of therapy for a couple of hours last night..... Playing with decoder settings just to see what I thought "looked right".

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I want to go DDC for the new layout, but just thinking about what sort of system to go for just fills me with dread.

Jonathan, I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest. The topic has been discussed at great lengths elsewhere in the Forum, but my own take is this. Irrespective of the merits of DCC vs DC, if you want DCC don't be concerned about it being complicated - it can be as complicated or as simple as YOU wish it to be.

If cost isn't an issue - decoders and the system, then, again, no probs.

Any decent DCC system will do what your layout demands from it.

I've not fitted decoders to my point motors and I won't have DCC controlled signals. My mentality is the same as I apply to my mobile phone....Yes, it'll cook the dinner for me, but all I want it to do is phone and text! Same with a DCC system. My Lenz system can do things I'm not interested in...as long as it controls all my locos and powers my track, that's good enough for me.

If you want DCC, just go for it!

Btw, re. playing with decoders.... I've been using the preset values in most of my decoders but decided to have a play with some of the top speeds, accelerations, decelerations and volume levels (for the sound chips). I assure you - it's easy....but you don't need to do it if you don't want to!

I won't recommend a system - that's up to you. But there's plenty of choice and they'll all do the job to a greater or lesser extent.

Changing topic - I've sprayed the rails, fitted another headshunt, applied masking tape. I'll go and put some PVA down shortly.

And btw #2 .... come and have a look at KL "in the flesh", have a play and see what you reckon.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Today's ballasting exploits - so far...

An hour to paint on the PVA and liberally sprinkle the ballast:

post-13778-0-01117700-1375717713_thumb.jpg

Removal of the ballast - it looks neat...

post-13778-0-08066500-1375717719_thumb.jpg

But the deeper Marcway turnouts need a second coating, and parts of the SMP need a "fill up" too...

post-13778-0-79476600-1375717727_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just be thankful it is not loose ballast like a real railway. If you use loose ballast on a garden railway as some do you have to go round packing here and there just like on the big one, Mind you I think Alf Minton the only platlayer I knew would be quite impressed with your efforts.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Just be thankful it is not loose ballast like a real railway. If you use loose ballast on a garden railway as some do you have to go round packing here and there just like on the big one, Mind you I think Alf Minton the only platlayer I knew would be quite impressed with your efforts.

Don

Thanks Don, I appreciate your comments.

I've got another batch of ballast "cooking" at the moment. It'll be vacuumed-up in about an hour. I've certainly speeded-up as I've done more of the track - which is just as well!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Re: the rather nice 9Fs . If you remove the front coulings it would be worth fittling screw links you can even twist up wire to make a fascimile. If you still need to run tender first a wire loop (chemically blackened) fixed to catch the hook on the stock could do the job and be less obtrusive.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff ballast looks mighty fine mate.

Bodgit

Cheers Andy.

I'm pleased with the way it's going down, but I'll be happier when I've worked out a way to weather the stuff. A way I'm happy to use, that produces consistent results and looks realistic.

Looking at old photos (especially Dave(unravelled)'s colour ones) it's clear that the main line was fairly clean and only needs a light weathering - except between the platforms.

We'll see what happens - how many times have I said that?!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You're more than welcome to use my airbrush If you want Jeff; no problems with lending it to you for a while.

A gentleman, as always, Jason!!

As with building trackwork, airbrushing is a skill I'll have to develop at some stage - if only to weather some wagons to stick on the back of all the lovely locos I've got! 

I'm going to try applying dilute acrylic washes and see how that ends up. Al (Schubert) airbrushed the track on my last layout - it did look good, but I'll try what's available first. Many thanks for the offer - and we must arrange a visit (you to me). Funny how time fills itself up, though... time with dad and some weekends walking on the Fells (first walks there in a few years - one of my favourite activities).

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

And btw #2 .... come and have a look at KL "in the flesh", have a play and see what you reckon.

Jeff

Jeff, I will come and have a look sometime. It may have to quite soon as the Teesside office closes October and I have to be in a new office probably in Darlo in September, if "management" find somewhere.

Like you, I want the DCC (cannot even get the initials right) to control engines with sound, not the turnouts or routes or connect to a computer. It's choosing the right make that bothers me.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

One of the things I spotted from looking at pics of the track in steam days is the contrast between different areas of the ballast. Beyond the sleeper ends, the ballast could look near pristine, but from the sleeper ends in it was practically sleeper colour, presumably from constant oil/water, (and worse) contamination.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Dave.

Here are a couple of your very own photos, showing contrasting ballast colours....the first looking fairly clean, the second - decidedly dirty between the sleepers:

post-13778-0-43592700-1375775954_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-66559800-1375775966_thumb.jpg

And another of your main line shots with pretty grotty ballast. 

post-13778-0-30761100-1375776201_thumb.jpg

The more I study these photos, the more I think "anything goes"!!

Jeff

• Like 1