Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

As heir to the throne during construction of the 'Castles' on the GWR, Stanier's position in Collett's drawing office would have involved him.  Seeing as the LMS drawing office tried to please him by putting a typical brass trumpet over the top feed on the first 'Stanier' 2-6-0, I should think Stanier was merely the bloke that signed the documents, much like Fowler before him. I believe Tom Coleman was the chief designer during Stanier's reign on the LMS. 

Very good point, there is ample evidence of most of the design work on the LMS being done by subordinates, which is not to belittle the work of the Chief whether it be Fowler or Stanier.  Keeping good team motivated, and work financed must have been very important.

I am always surprised by the sheer depth of talent in the railway workshops of the 1920s to 1950s, also by the skills of companies and workers at such as North British.  I'm also amused sometimes by the way in which poor things 'held on', like self-cleaning smokeboxes on V2s... 

As to the sight of the Castle and Duchess in the video, yes it really did represent to me the atmosphere of a train in a hurry, magnificent.

It's nice to drool over footage like that! Just shows how impressive some of those engines used to be. Imagine what some of the Victorian/Edwardian bystanders thought as a steamer went past at 70-80mph!

I've been running my sound Patriot around the main line, having now completed the ballast circuit.... Whooo whooo as she comes out of the tunnel. Chuff....chuff...chuff at 10mph to ChuffChuffChuffChuff at 60.... Great fun!!

Jeff

Methinks you'll have fun choosing sound decoders and setting CVs! Such as Olivia's Trains and others no doubt have very good coasting effects as well as flange squeal and other subtleties. The factory sound decoders aren't bad in my experience but a bit inclined to too much 'chuff chuff', especially at typical everyday line speeds under low power, but not coasting. No doubt discussed elsewhere at length.

As to the effect on people on stations in, say, 1928 when a Fowler 'Royal Scot' went by at 75mph with 15 carriages, well, I suspect many were very impressed!

• RMweb Premium

I've been in the bunker for the last 2 hours with the intention of doing a bit of problem solving.

It's been a very productive 2 hours....

I haven't replaced the cobalt motor yet - a job for later today. not a problem, except (lack of) ease of access.

The problem with the WD was down to the back-to-backs of the wheels in its pony train, as well as the sand pipes. Sorted.

The problem with the track near the single slip area was because part of the frog was soldered slightly out of place, rendering the exit throat too narrow with wheels riding up fractionally. A hot soldering iron, some pliers and a 00 wheel gauge sorted that one out.

Then time for a bit of running.

And not a single piece of ballast touched. Wonderful!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I am glad you have sorted out your little problems, otherwise Dr Bodgit was coming up North with his BIG HAMMER to help :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Bodgit :sungum:

Seems to be that you solve problems and then others appear....

Replaced the Cobalt motor only to find the adjustable plastic slider (that adjusts the tension of the actuator wire) in the next Cobalt had come loose - and was an absolute ba**ard to sort, because of the location! And all this stuff was working fine - apparently - until yesterday...

Still no ballasting today. Sat watching the Ashes.

Jeff

• Like 2

Seems to be that you solve problems and then others appear....

Replaced the Cobalt motor only to find the adjustable plastic slider (that adjusts the tension of the actuator wire) in the next Cobalt had come loose - and was an absolute ba**ard to sort, because of the location! And all this stuff was working fine - apparently - until yesterday...

Still no ballasting today. Sat watching the Ashes.

Jeff

Is that cricket or have you been over to Jason's Bacup thread? :angel:

Bill :stinker:

• RMweb Premium

Is that cricket or have you been over to Jason's Bacup thread? :angel:

Bill :stinker:

I love the Lancashire wit, Bill! I don't think Jason's been using ashes from THE urn, though!

Just off to do some......... ballasting!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, was it the sanding pipes or the wheel guard irons that was causing your WD problems?

Ah, is that what they are? Yes, the damn things were a bit low. They have been "pruned" a little!! The wheel separation on the pony truck was also miles out, but is ok now.

I spent an hour, at around 1am, racing 2 Jubilees.... hardly prototypical, but fun!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, is that what they are? Yes, the damn things were a bit low. They have been "pruned" a little!! The wheel separation on the pony truck was also miles out, but is ok now.

I spent an hour, at around 1am, racing 2 Jubilees.... hardly prototypical, but fun!!

Jeff

I guess that's the only thing to do at 1 am. My eyes are shot around 9 pm and modelling usually stops by then, but it doesn't stop playing trains  the running of trains though. Can we have some pics next time you have a running session? Ta very much.

• RMweb Premium

I guess that's the only thing to do at 1 am. My eyes are shot around 9 pm and modelling usually stops by then, but it doesn't stop playing trains  the running of trains though. Can we have some pics next time you have a running session? Ta very much.

If you just want pics of locos - no prob.... Currently in the bunker: 2 x Jubilee, 1 x Patriot, 1 x WD, 1 x class 37, 1 x 4MT....

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I AM actually doing something...ermm, it's.... WAIT FOR IT .... ballasting! 2 more pics below.

When this lot's cleared up a bit I'm going to mix up some weak burnt umber and weak medium grey acrylic washes and have a play on the test rig...

post-13778-0-42164500-1376314587_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-40301800-1376314593_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mate, that ballast is getting better and better by the day, you must be getting good at it now.

Bodgit

Cheers Andy. You could say I've had plenty of chance to practise my "skills"!!

I'll be happier when I've got all the main part down and start to get some colour onto the main line.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Andy. You could say I've had plenty of chance to practise my "skills"!!

I'll be happier when I've got all the main part down and start to get some colour onto the main line.

Jeff

Should all be finished by the time I'm back from my hols then Jeff (middle/end of next week that is)?

• RMweb Premium

Should all be finished by the time I'm back from my hols then Jeff (middle/end of next week that is)?

I wouldn't count on it, Mike. Next thing you'll be expecting to see grass sprouting from "them there hills"!!

Having said that, I hope it is done by then or I'll be going nuts!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Someone said about the impact. Having stood on the footplate of the Iron Duke whilst in steam just imagine the impact of that speed of up to 80mph when the fastest thing people had seen was a galloping horse.

The ballasting is looking very good but I suspect you are eager to complete it. Don't rush the last bits.

Don

• RMweb Premium

HAHAHAHHA  I thought you wrote     I WILL BE GROWING NUTS hahhaaaaa

Should have gone to Speek savers

Big dot :sungum:

Mr Baron Bodge, sir.... Never mind gRowing nuts, I think - with your humour - you've been a long time GOING nuts!!   :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Someone said about the impact. Having stood on the footplate of the Iron Duke whilst in steam just imagine the impact of that speed of up to 80mph when the fastest thing people had seen was a galloping horse.

The ballasting is looking very good but I suspect you are eager to complete it. Don't rush the last bits.

Don

Don't worry, Don. I'll take my time - and if I'm not happy with part of it I'll rip it up and re-do it.

It's strangely satisfying. If I have trouble sleeping I won't be counting the sheep on the Fells. I'll be counting all the gaps between sleepers that I've individually painted with PVA - it must be a few thousand by now (many painted TWICE!). Anyway, as long as the end product looks good - in the opinion of you guys - then it's been a job worth doing.

Jeff

• Like 2

Jeff, Lets see more pics of 9F's and Jube's on the new ballast mate.

Cricket, :O  noisy little blighters, :no:  sitting in my new garden on a summers evening and watching the my new garden railway and that's all you hear, click click click, NOT CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF :nono:

Bodgit :sungum:

Don't worry, Don. I'll take my time - and if I'm not happy with part of it I'll rip it up and re-do it.

It's strangely satisfying. If I have trouble sleeping I won't be counting the sheep on the Fells. I'll be counting all the gaps between sleepers that I've individually painted with PVA - it must be a few thousand by now (many painted TWICE!). Anyway, as long as the end product looks good - in the opinion of you guys - then it's been a job worth doing.

Jeff

What I've seen so far IS inspiring...  and confirms that there is no simple automatic way to achieve good track laying and ballasting, it just requies a clear head and a deft patient touch, and the warm inner certainty that England will NEVER AGAIN LOSE THE ASHES!

• Like 2