Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

At least you wouldn't have to bother with g***s. Would like to see your take on an underground layout though.

I imagine it would run from (The) Barons Court to Barking (Mad) on the Green Line out there in the District somewhere :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

• Like 1

A question, Jeff, in running trains over ballasted track is there a different sound signature from the rumble of rolling wheels and jointed 'clickety-clack' ?

My layout was PVA ballasted set track onto medium-density fibre board and the noise increased markedly after ballasting, not all bad though because I like the sound of trains rolling past.

• RMweb Premium

A question, Jeff, in running trains over ballasted track is there a different sound signature from the rumble of rolling wheels and jointed 'clickety-clack' ?

My layout was PVA ballasted set track onto medium-density fibre board and the noise increased markedly after ballasting, not all bad though because I like the sound of trains rolling past.

You have it spot-on, Rob. The noise level is noticeably higher on ballasted track, presumably as the PVA bonds the track very tightly to the cork/baseboard, rather than it (effectively) being "free floating" when not fixed down. There is a very noticeable rumble as a loco emerges from the unballasted fiddle yard, through the tunnel, into the scenic area.

I quite like the noise and since there's nobody else within 10 metres of the bunker, the extra noise doesn't matter.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now all you need to do Jeff is score the top of the rails every 60 scale feet with a hacksaw blade and you will get the effect of jointed track...... ;-)

Ever though of taking the motor out and the coupling rods off the Jocko? Then you could tow it through as an unusual train.

Looks like I need to send you station building plans if you are thinking about platforms....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Now all you need to do Jeff is score the top of the rails every 60 scale feet with a hacksaw blade and you will get the effect of jointed track...... ;-)

Ever though of taking the motor out and the coupling rods off the Jocko? Then you could tow it through as an unusual train.

Looks like I need to send you station building plans if you are thinking about platforms....

Andy G

To be honest, I quite fancy building the platforms. So if you have any relevant plans, please send them through by all means.

I must resist the temptation, I think, as there's a bit more walling (!!!!!), an aqueduct and a cutting/hillside to complete!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Good idea there Jeff leave the hidden sidings unballasted to make the running quiet. The PVA does set the track and ballast hard so it transmits the noise. Some people use copydex to try to make it quieter but others seem to have a lot of problems with it.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Not much done today - an hour or so of ballasting, and certainly nothing that warrants a photo!

I've set up my test rig and I'll play around with some acrylics tomorrow.

Currently seem to be in a "slow patch", but enthusiasm will resume in the not-too-distant future!

Jeff

We all need slow patches. My life is one.  But an inspiring picture of a Jubilee might rise from the mental torpor eventually.

Just been looking at YouTube clips of the S&C and similar with steam trains this year.  This one appealed, not particularly S&C though..  thse steam engines are not messing around!

Rob

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We all need slow patches. My life is one.  But an inspiring picture of a Jubilee might rise from the mental torpor eventually.

Just been looking at YouTube clips of the S&C and similar with steam trains this year.  This one appealed, not particularly S&C though..  thse steam engines are not messing around!

Rob

Cracking post, Rob. I agree - those steamers weren't hanging around!

Worth watching the sheep in the field next to the WCML as the consist hurtles through - don't think they'd seen/heard such an arrangement before!

Cheers!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob

Wow.  That got the ole ticker pumping....oooh....and a Castle to boot.... :sungum:

Thanks for posting.

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Rob

Rather impressive but it looks as if they were firing the 'Castle' with old socks!  (and nice to hear the vac pump 'tonking' away as it went under the bridge at Lancaster).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's nice to drool over footage like that! Just shows how impressive some of those engines used to be. Imagine what some of the Victorian/Edwardian bystanders thought as a steamer went past at 70-80mph!

I've been running my sound Patriot around the main line, having now completed the ballast circuit.... Whooo whooo as she comes out of the tunnel. Chuff....chuff...chuff at 10mph to ChuffChuffChuffChuff at 60.... Great fun!!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good to see a Stanier engine can still keep up a good lick even when it has to push some old Generally Wet and Rusty thing all the way.

Cheers

Dave

Didn't Mr Stanier have a hand in building the later Castle's, anyway?

As heir to the throne during construction of the 'Castles' on the GWR, Stanier's position in Collett's drawing office would have involved him.  Seeing as the LMS drawing office tried to please him by putting a typical brass trumpet over the top feed on the first 'Stanier' 2-6-0, I should think Stanier was merely the bloke that signed the documents, much like Fowler before him. I believe Tom Coleman was the chief designer during Stanier's reign on the LMS. 

• RMweb Gold

Does that mean, then, that "Stanier" locomotives should actually be "Colemans"?

This was meant as a serious question, but now I look at it, I can't resist... 

they certainly cut the mustard...

:jester:

In Stanier's absence (for example, during his first Indian sojourn whilst preparation was being carried out for the 'Coronation Scot' high-speed test runs with 6201 in November 1936) S. J. Symes was in overall charge, but R. A. Riddles had specific responsibility for the test runs and also for the concurrent detail design and construction of the development of the 'Princess Royal' class, the 'Princess Coronations'.  Upon Stanier's return from the subcontinent in March 1937, he was presented with the drawings for the 'Coronation' pacifics (which were due to enter service with the 'Coronation Scot' the following July), and it is generally understood that T. F. Coleman (recently from Horwich) was principally responsible for the working out of these, but under the supervision and sanction of Riddles.

I think.

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

:senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

:D

Al

(Jealous Lune)

A 2 hour running session did point up the following problems....

One Cobalt motor that (has been working fine to my knowledge but) doesn't want to function anymore. Power supply to said machine is all ok (checked with the trusty multimeter), but the motor refuses to do anything. As always, one of the most awkwardly placed motors to get at...

A bit of unevenly attached SMP at the exit of the single slip. Not happy with this - a remedy will need to be considered.

And - very strangely - there are two "horns" (they aren't sandpipes) that protrude in front of the pony train at front of my WD Austerity. They hang down too low and - to my horror - have a habit of locking into the gaps between any track sections, jamming the loco! Said protrusions have been cut short using a scalpel. during which time I nearly managed to slice the end of my finger off!!

So - it's time to go and do a spot of bricklaying!

Jeff

One Cobalt motor that (has been working fine to my knowledge but) doesn't want to function anymore. Power supply to said machine is all ok (checked with the trusty multimeter), but the motor refuses to do anything. As always, one of the most awkwardly placed motors to get at...

A bit of unevenly attached SMP at the exit of the single slip. Not happy with this - a remedy will need to be considered.

And - very strangely - there are two "horns" (they aren't sandpipes) that protrude in front of the pony train at front of my WD Austerity. They hang down too low and - to my horror - have a habit of locking into the gaps between any track sections, jamming the loco! Said protrusions have been cut short using a scalpel. during which time I nearly managed to slice the end of my finger off!!

Jeff

Sounds like you need a coffee, NOT Blod# bricklaying.

Boddged it again

• RMweb Gold

The impression I have is that Collett was more of a works manager than a designer so perhaps Stanier had more input into the Castles than thought. A lot of the time of the Chief would be taken up with reporting to the board, paperwork, management so quite a lot of the detail work is down to subordinates. The difference is probably how much control the Chief exerts over the design.

Don

Jeff

Jeff

You could always use the Bodgit method of repair, a big hammer. :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :scared:  :O